TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLM2022

Standard Member
Jul 9, 2021
Would it be appropriate for me to talk about how I am currently working on qualifying as a solicitor in another country to demonstrate my interest in working on cross-border transactions/ why an international firm?
I am in a similar boat but my initial reaction is the opposite. I was wondering if admitting that I am working on qualifying as a solicitor in another country harms my chances when it comes to a UK training contract? As it shows I am not committed?

As an international student on the graduate visa, there is no guarantee I will secure a TC and I didn't want to risk wasting a year when I could be studying for the qualifying exams in my home country if I don't end up securing a TC. However, I'm not sure if this is something that I should disclose to law firms?

For context, if I don't disclose it then it does look like I have a one-year gap in my CV, when in reality I was travelling and studying for these exams. Furthermore, I will not be sitting the final qualifying exams if I were to secure a TC so I will not be starting my TC as a qualified lawyer.

@Jessica Booker do you have any advice? Thank you.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would it be appropriate for me to talk about how I am currently working on qualifying as a solicitor in another country to demonstrate my interest in working on cross-border transactions/ why an international firm?
You have to tread carefully here. It needs to be more nuanced than cross-border transactions/an international firm. Why that particular firm and why in that particular location?

Your reader is going to be thinking:

1) Why do they want to start their career all over again when they could just continue as a qualified lawyer where they are?
2) Why will they commit to a career in the UK? Is there a risk they just want to gain some experience/qualify in England & Wales just to progress their career in their home country?

Reactions: laurabeaumont

asola

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2022
You have to tread carefully here. It needs to be more nuanced than cross-border transactions/an international firm. Why that particular firm and why in that particular location?

Your reader is going to be thinking:

1) Why do they want to start their career all over again when they could just continue as a qualified lawyer where they are?
2) Why will they commit to a career in the UK? Is there a risk they just want to gain some experience/qualify in England & Wales just to progress their career in their home country?
This would be during my interviews / AC questions. I have an international LLM following my LLB so my qualifying abroad would just be an extension of this. I will keep your points in mind, thank you very much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This would be during my interviews / AC questions. I have an international LLM following my LLB so my qualifying abroad would just be an extension of this. I will keep your points in mind, thank you very much!
Same applies in interviews (and probably would get pushed on this quite heavily in interviews too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.