TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmarialex14

Standard Member
Feb 15, 2023
Have you got any advice for the interview, Mines tomorrow!
I think the most important is to know very well why the firm and why law. If you memorise some answers make sure it doesn’t look like you’re saying them as a robot but rather that it comes more natural. The people were really nice so just be smiley friendly and honest! :) don’t be nervous, good luck!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Question on developing commercial awareness, do you guys think its better to place emphasis on developing knowledge around commercial principles first, instead of just trying to drown myself in actual news, feel like that way I would actual be able to become comercially minded, instead of just knowing stories that come and go? Any recommendations for resources for this, I have Jake Shoggers handbook and Stoakes book. Any thoughts are appreciated xx
Read / watch / listen to it regularly. Follow some quality business journalists like Simon Jack, Rahul Tandon etc.

Firms do seem to like using the FT at interview (well Slaughters and Debevoise did for me); keep on top of it.

I think it helps to ‘get’ the general principles for sure. Chris Stoakes (ex-Hogan Lovells Partner) has a great book on commercial awareness and his concise, plain explanations of the main ideas are all still relevant.

Then set up Google alerts for topics or practise areas that interest you. You can link law firm’s departments and possible business opportunities e.g. I set up a Google alert for Project Finance and heard about Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 plan to build a new city etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: al2020
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.