TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
I need to vent anonymously.

Arctic Shores might be some of the biggest load of rubbish I've ever had to go through for a job application.

Yes, I realise the tests are designed to predict traits like stubbornness or short-term memory capacity. However, I can't imagine they are able to draw any meaningful conclusions based on the isolated instances that the test provides.

For example, the test designed to gauge your ability to emphasise and recognise facial cues. When real meatspace human beings express emotions, they don't maintain a static facial expression like some Playstation graphics monstrosity. So how can my ability to assign an emotion to a failed Graphic Design 101 project reflect my ability to read an actual human being?

Or let's talk about the tests designed to measure your attention and short-term memory. When you're being given instructions for a task, do you:

A) write down the instructions as they are being delivered so you can refer back to a set of notes like a functioning adult
B) memorise the tasks in the order of delivery so you can reply in mimicry?

How does my ability to follow a colour pattern or press the correct arrow keys reflect any real world application of the skills required to be a successful commercial solicitor?

From now on, I'm avoiding any firm that utilises Arctic Shores or something of similar ilk. I'm sure they're great when you get plenty of applications and need to screen them out to a manageable level, but I'd rather not put myself through HR's astrology quiz once again.

aspiringfuturetrainee2025

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 11, 2022

Arctic Shores might be some of the biggest load of rubbish I've ever had to go through for a job application.

Yes, I realise the tests are designed to predict traits like stubbornness or short-term memory capacity. However, I can't imagine they are able to draw any meaningful conclusions based on the isolated instances that the test provides.

For example, the test designed to gauge your ability to emphasise and recognise facial cues. When real meatspace human beings express emotions, they don't maintain a static facial expression like some Playstation graphics monstrosity. So how can my ability to assign an emotion to a failed Graphic Design 101 project reflect my ability to read an actual human being?

Or let's talk about the tests designed to measure your attention and short-term memory. When you're being given instructions for a task, do you:

A) write down the instructions as they are being delivered so you can refer back to a set of notes like a functioning adult

How does my ability to follow a colour pattern or press the correct arrow keys reflect any real world application of the skills required to be a successful commercial solicitor?

From now on, I'm avoiding any firm that utilises Arctic Shores or something of similar ilk. I'm sure they're great when you get plenty of applications and need to screen them out to a manageable level, but I'd rather not put myself through HR's astrology quiz once again.
I STRONGLY AGREE!!!!!

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022

100% valid, I passed the test but I took it as seriously as a game of flappy birds. I really found it weird and might possibly be the worst stage of an application I've experienced

LawGirl2023

Aug 6, 2023

1000%! Most of the tests these firms use are a bunch of bs tbh

Reactions: amrita6399

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020

100% AGREE! The things we have to put up with!

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019

Agreed completely, and on that note can we talk about Simmons and now A&O watching you in your home while you sit their SJT? Surprised no one has spoken about this more on this forum?

The camera is on throughout for Simmons, and someone said it is now on for A&O (can anyone confirm) which implies they receive a recording of you during the test and during the untimed prep for the VI questions.

How do they have time to watch a 50-minute long recording for thousands of applicants and still be fair? Do they pick and choose some minutes to dip into from some people’s tests and not others’?

Do they need the video to have AI tell them if the person moved during the video to prevent cheating? If that is the case, what happens if we go to take a drink and look to the side or down for too long?

What about if we unconsciously make a naturally more worried expression because we are taking a test in the comfort of our home, than we would if we were sitting it in the office? Is your face analysed to predict desirable or non-desirable traits too? If this is all true, and you have to keep a poker face on during the test, that is so manufactured and artificial a result.

When you get your rejection, it’s sad not to be able to know what to do differently next time and how to progress.

• Haha
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Marissa and mfuturetrainee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

I’m slightly confused. I’m training with my firm in 2024 (completed LPC 2021) and they have confirmed no need for SQE 2 but will still do the PSC? I also attended a session held by BARBI and they confirmed those who have done the LPC and have a TC will not need to do any part of the SQE 2, rather if I did not have a TC then I could do the SQE 2 and get QWE as a paralegal and qualify that route instead?
    You are on the old qualification system then. You are not doing anything related to the SQE, and just need to complete the old process of LPC, Period of Recognised Training and PSC.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Agreed completely, and on that note can we talk about Simmons and now A&O watching you in your home while you sit their SJT? Surprised no one has spoken about this more on this forum?

The camera is on throughout for Simmons, and someone said it is now on for A&O (can anyone confirm) which implies they receive a recording of you during the test and during the untimed prep for the VI questions.

How do they have time to watch a 50-minute long recording for thousands of applicants and still be fair? Do they pick and choose some minutes to dip into from some people’s tests and not others’?

Do they need the video to have AI tell them if the person moved during the video to prevent cheating? If that is the case, what happens if we go to take a drink and look to the side or down for too long?

What about if we unconsciously make a naturally more worried expression because we are taking a test in the comfort of our home, than we would if we were sitting it in the office? Is your face analysed to predict desirable or non-desirable traits too? If this is all true, and you have to keep a poker face on during the test, that is so manufactured and artificial a result.

When you get your rejection, it’s sad not to be able to know what to do differently next time and how to progress.
    ngl i agree with you. i jus recently sat the a&o test and ive never done the simmons one so i had no experience of it, but idk it just felt a bit odd, esp as you mention that they can see you during the prep as well. this is my own experience but ik it said unlimited time to prepare, theres no real countdown but i still felt a bit pressured to sort of get an answer out quickly since the camera was on 😂 i dont know if they would take into consideration how long a person sat there for prepping an answer for the VI part.

it might be controversial but i rather jus have a written app in the first stage so atleast theres a distinguishing factor on whether u get rejected because of ur application or because of ur WG/SJT, i think having it combined kind of threw me off cuz their SJT takes a while to get thru as well

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: stone’sthrow
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.