TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodles

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    You are on the old qualification system then. You are not doing anything related to the SQE, and just need to complete the old process of LPC, Period of Recognised Training and PSC.
    Hi Jessica,
    I've just completed the LPC myself (so 2023) as the last cohort eligible to take that route.
    Does this put me in the old qualification system where I just do the LPC, Period of Recognised Training, and PSC?
    Or exempt from SQE1 but potentially need to do SQE2 depending on the firm?
    I've had some conflicting information given to me so would appreciate any clarification you can offer!
    Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    I've just completed the LPC myself (so 2023) as the last cohort eligible to take that route.
    Does this put me in the old qualification system where I just do the LPC, Period of Recognised Training, and PSC?
    Or exempt from SQE1 but potentially need to do SQE2 depending on the firm?
    I've had some conflicting information given to me so would appreciate any clarification you can offer!
    Thanks
    Just to clarify, anyone who started or completed a law degree or GDL before December 2021 will be eligible to take the LPC route still until 2032.

It depends on what each firm is willing to offer you. It will either be:

A period of recognised training, where you will need to see three distinct area of law and complete the PSC. In the format, you are effectively tied to the firm for two years until you qualify.

Or

A SQE training opportunity where you are accumulating qualifying work experience. In this opportunity, you’ll be exempt from SQE1 where you have passed the LPC, but will need to complete SQE2 and accumulate two years of qualifying work experience with up to four organisations.

Reactions: Noodles

Noodles

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    Just to clarify, anyone who started or completed a law degree or GDL before December 2021 will be eligible to take the LPC route still until 2032.

It depends on what each firm is willing to offer you. It will either be:

A period of recognised training, where you will need to see three distinct area of law and complete the PSC. In the format, you are effectively tied to the firm for two years until you qualify.

Or

A SQE training opportunity where you are accumulating qualifying work experience. In this opportunity, you’ll be exempt from SQE1 where you have passed the LPC, but will need to complete SQE2 and accumulate two years of qualifying work experience with up to four organisations.
    Ah, thank you!

AB

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2020
    Hi all, I’ve been invited to an ac with BCLP ( despite an awful interview (my fault / the associates were lovely)) and was wondering if anyone has completed an assessment center with BCLP and has any tips?

Was also wondering if anyone has any tips for bad nerves ? I tend to get really nervous ( especially with partners) and end up mixing my words up. How can I appear confident?

Video Interview: 27 July 2023
    Heard back: 8 August 2023

It's 4 people per assessment center and there is only one slot so I am assuming they are sending more out.

Last edited:

tulaie

Standard Member
    Dec 16, 2022
    Hi all, I’ve been invited to an ac with BCLP ( despite an awful interview (my fault / the associates were lovely)) and was wondering if anyone has completed an assessment centre with BCLP and has any tips?

Was also wondering if anyone has any tips for bad nerves ? I tend to get really nervous ( especially with partners) and end up mixing my words up. How can I appear confident?
    I was offered a tc with bclp, so happy to chat if you want to drop me a dm :)

Mae East

Premium Member
    Feb 12, 2022
    Has anyone else also been told by Eversheds that their TC application won't be considered because they've filled all the spots from their Vacation Scheme? I'm really unimpressed. I think so many law firms just completely disregard applicants and how long is spent on applications.
    They did last year too:( They sent out a generic email saying that your app would otherwise be considered positively … some lines like that… i think it’s a complete disregard to applicants as well particularly considering that they require us to write quite a long app

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    NRF Subject Access Request response:

"It is not usually in the firm’s policy to share Watson Glaser and Arctic Shores scores but we can confirm you scored in the lower 7th percentile against the norm group in the Watson Glaser test and you scored 31 in the Arctic Shores test. The reason your application was not progressed to the next stage was due to you not meeting the benchmark on either test. "

Last edited:

CallumJR

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    NRF Subject Access Request response:

"It is not usually in the firm’s policy to share Watson Glaser and Arctic Shores scores but we can confirm you scored in the lower 7th percentile against the norm group in the Watson Glaser test and you scored 31 in the Arctic Shores test. The reason your application was not progressed to the next stage was due to you not meeting the benchmark on either test. "
    lower 7th percentile?!!! Dear Maxim Parr-Reid, this means out of 100 people 93 people scored higher than you.
    You can private message me, and I am happy to share any tips and strategies I apply to solve the WG. So far, I have passed every WG. :)

Are you sure you logged correctly all your answers and completed all 40 questions?

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    lower 7th percentile?!!! Dear Maxim Parr-Reid, this means out of 100 people 93 people scored higher than you.
    You can private message me, and I am happy to share any tips and strategies I apply to solve the WG. So far, I have passed every WG. :)

Are you sure you logged correctly all your answers and completed all 40 questions?
    That would be appreciated. I’ve not passed any WG I’ve taken since 2017, and did VSs at firms that don’t rely on it like Slaughters, Debevoise and Travers. I also got the V&E VI, and ACs at Cleary, Jones Day and Milbank who don’t use the WG.

My highest WG score ever was 77% for HL in 2020.

I’m unsure whether to focus on firms that don’t use any psychometric testing or invest time into the WG as well as networking and application technique.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.