TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    hi! i'm sorry to hear this, well done for landing the VS and getting so close.

i'm not experienced in this process at all but perhaps you can detail how you have improved upon addressing the VS feedback if other firms ask you in the future?
    Yeah I was told I narrowly missed it mainly because of a question which I didn't answer well during the partner interview... so I am definitely gonna work on that answer!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaM

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    When you go to the application portal and job search the application is open and when you click on start application for direct TC application it says

Update: We are sorry to inform you but following the outcome of our summer vacation schemes, we will not be opening the application process for Training Contracts commencing in September 2023. We will welcome applications for our Winter 2021 and Summer 2022 Vacation Schemes from 1 October. Thank you for your interest in Travers Smith and we do hope you apply in the coming year.

That is what I saw.
    Ahh many thanks - I didn't go in to open the application portal (for obvious reasons). That makes a lot of sense!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    That's good to know - thanks @Jessica Booker !
    I got one more question - my vac scheme was more like a VVS and mainly comprised of training sessions and departmental exercises (e.g. NDA reviewing and lease drafting), and I didn't get to sit with a department. So I feel there's not a lot I can say about this vac scheme in my future application (not like a normal internship where you can say I have provided research support on X and Y for one department or helped to draft client email etc). Do you have any advice on how to approach this?
    I think firms are aware that VVSs are less full of practical stuff like you mention, so I wouldn't worry too much here.

You can nevertheless take away a lot of positive learning from a VVS in this format, though. Have a think about what you learned on the exercises you did, what feedback you achieved, etc etc and I dare say you'll find a lot of very valid discussion points in that regard.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's good to know - thanks @Jessica Booker !
    I got one more question - my vac scheme was more like a VVS and mainly comprised of training sessions and departmental exercises (e.g. NDA reviewing and lease drafting), and I didn't get to sit with a department. So I feel there's not a lot I can say about this vac scheme in my future application (not like a normal internship where you can say I have provided research support on X and Y for one department or helped to draft client email etc). Do you have any advice on how to approach this?
    Focus more on what you learnt/developed from the scheme. It is fine to say it’s a virtual/training scheme - they will be very common.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I have a question re doing the LPC v LPC LLM. The firm sponsoring me has said I can choose whichever I like. The LPC LLM takes longer to complete and I assume means more study time, so I'm just wondering whether there's any point in doing it? I was under the impression that the additional modules are there purely for funding, which obviously isn't an issue for me. If there's no other real benefit, I think I may as well do the straight LPC and use the extra time for work/volunteering.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I have a question re doing the LPC v LPC LLM. The firm sponsoring me has said I can choose whichever I like. The LPC LLM takes longer to complete and I assume means more study time, so I'm just wondering whether there's any point in doing it? I was under the impression that the additional modules are there purely for funding, which obviously isn't an issue for me. If there's no other real benefit, I think I may as well do the straight LPC and use the extra time for work/volunteering.
    As someone who did the LPC LLM, don't bother if you don't need funding. Complete waste of time.

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    I agree with the previous reply. Unless there’s a particular area you’re desperate to do a research report/project on, you’ll just be giving yourself more work for no real reason. I did the LLM and whilst it has been fine, it was purely for funding reasons

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    As someone who did the LPC LLM, don't bother if you don't need funding. Complete waste of time.
    I agree with the previous reply. Unless there’s a particular area you’re desperate to do a research report/project on, you’ll just be giving yourself more work for no real reason. I did the LLM and whilst it has been fine, it was purely for funding reasons
    Thanks both, that's what I was thinking!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, please don’t hate me for asking this… which do I choose for TC. Freshfields or Debevoise?!?
    What’s your thinking about this? That is far more important than any advice we can give you, and we need some context as to what you are weighing up about both firms.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hi guys, please don’t hate me for asking this… which do I choose for TC. Freshfields or Debevoise?!?
    Can I just say that there is no hate here! We all know how difficult this process is and this forum is so full of support and reassurance for each other that you have nothing but cheerleaders for your success! Well done for securing 2 offers, that is no mean feat and you should feel so proud of your achievement.

Let us know what it is about these firms that you are weighing up and no doubt you will receive some great insight to help you to make an informed decision. Not to be taken literally for your actual decision but I always flip a coin. It doesn't matter what result it gives you, but for the split second that it is in the air, you will know what result you are hoping to see.

Congrats!

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    If you have funding and your firms paying i would just do the LPC you can soley focus on that rather than doing the LLM

Reactions: Anon 11031

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    What do your instincts tell you? You can make an objective list of pros and cons, but ultimately I think that's the best way of making a decision in these kinds of situations. Good luck with whatever you decide though!

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    For my GDL module results (distinction overall), I have 6 distinctions, 2 commendations and one 55% result (😥) - does anyone know if the 55% result means I shouldn't bother applying to bigger firms for TCs?

Congrats on your GDL results! Its been a damn tough year of remote learning and lockdowns so its amazing you have achieved so much in a tough time. I doubt this will cause any issues. I got a couple of surprise mid-high 50's, as did my friends. My GDL results were never brought up in my TC/VS interviews. My friends with similar results have both got TC's at a MC and American firms.

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    Can’t believe I’m writing this but I have just received another TC offer from the firm I reached the final stages with last year but was unsuccessful. I was really close to giving up this year after three years of applications and never imagined I’d get one offer never mind two. In the least cheesy way possible, anyone who is feeling disheartened this cycle just don’t give up hope just yet! It really does just take one ‘yes’ and your applications and interview technique will only get better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.