TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
‘Considering the location in which you wish to train; tell us about a local project or development that has interested you. Explain why it is of interest and how, as a business, we could provide support.’

for a question with a 5000 character limit (around 800 words) i’m not sure if i’ll be able to get near filling the word count. Would that be detrimental?

(womble bond dickinson application)
I'd try to get to around at least 650 words if you can.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
In my application, I often mention the current development of my start-up.
However, everything is still at seed level and I am really struggling on how to bring my idea to the next level.
Does anybody know how to get some mentorship or any kind help for struggling entrepreneurs?

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
APPLICATION DATES AND TIMELINE
Firm: PwC
Opportunity: Legal Summer Internship (London) 2022

23 Dec 2021 — applied and received automatic invite to Career Unlocked (Behavioural Based Assessment) by Arctic Shores
27 Dec 2021 — completed Arctic Shores Assessment (before deadline stipulated)
28 Dec 2021 — received Arctic Shores Assessment/Career Unlocked feedback report

04 Feb 2022 — received this video interview invite:
"Congratulations for passing the Behavioural Based Assessment and the screening stage: you are now one step closer to potentially receiving an offer! You are now going to be invited to the next stage of assessment which is called Career Conversation, otherwise known as the recorded video interview".​

12 Feb 2022 — completed HireVue VI (before deadline stipulated)
23 Feb 2022 — PFO
"I hope this email finds you well. This is an update on your application for the Legal Summer Internship with us. Though you have passed the Video Interview, you have unfortunately not met the benchmarks in order to progress to the next stage of assessment. It is therefore with regret that we confirm you will not be progress to the Career Focus Day and that your application is being declined".​

MY QUESTIONS — ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED :'(
I'm VERY confused by the PFO email and what they mean by the "benchmarks" that I have failed to meet — does this mean I failed certain aspects of the Arctic Shores assessment and therefore will not be progressed even though I did fine in the VI? If this is the case why did they tell me that I passed the behavioural based assessment when I was invited to VI? Or are they talking about some other "benchmarks" that we don't know about?

If I'm being rejected because I failed all/part of the Arctic Shores assessment, why did they even progress me to VI in the first place - is it because they want to give those who perhaps didn't do well in the initial assessment to prove themselves in the VI, and then review the application holistically (taking into account both VI and Arctic Shores performance) before deciding who gets to progress? If this is the case, why am I told that I "passed the video interview", but will not be progressed anyway? Could it be because I "passed the VI" but when reviewed together with my poor Arctic Shores performance, is still not good enough to progress compared to other candidates?

I'm just disheartened that I'm being told that I "passed the VI" but still will not be progressed, and not being told why. Would hate to think that I performed okay in the VI but am being rejected because I didn't do so well in Arctic Shores :( Also, I'm just generally really disappointed that I keep getting rejected from law firms because of psychometric tests when I have done relatively okay in other assessments e.g. application writing and VI. Is it worth emailing to ask what exactly is the "benchmark" they're referring to? I doubt they'll reply though, as they would just see this as another candidate asking for individual feedback, which they are unable to provide?

A

AspiringIPLawyer

I had an AC with HSF a couple of weeks ago. I did get asked on the 'introduce to a topic you know about' question but the associate taking the interview had involvement in the topic I wrote about so it might be dependent on who interviews you! They didn't ask any questions on closest competitors, new office etc more the standard why HSF, why commercial law stuff, then general competency questions
Hey @AspiringIPLawyer,

I feel grateful that we have such a fantastic community who can offer you some more contemporary (and potentially more accurate advice than me on this given that my interview was nearly a year ago. Thank you for the above @amerlin2022 and @unserious candidate.

Just to start, please always feel free to ask as many questions/clarifiers as you need. I am here to help where I can and am delighted to do so!

So for my interview, I actually wasn't asked about the topic I mentioned in my application. That being said, I did prepare for questions on it, and in line with the users that have replied previously, I think it would be prudent to do so.

With regard to your second question, I also was not asked about where HSF should open up their next office. That being said, much like the special topic, just because it was not mentioned in my interview, does not mean that it will/will not come up! I always took the approach if I could think of a question that could reasonably be asked in an interview/AC, and I could not comfortably think of an answer, I needed to prepare more thoroughly.

Definitely double-down on your three whys and practice(!). I really think practicing is the secret to success at interviews. My HSF competency interview was really unstructured and dynamic, so although it is difficult to prepare for in some ways, more experience thinking on your feet in an interview will only be helpful!

I am so glad to hear that found Jake Schogger's book useful 🏆
Thank you @amerlin2022 , @unserious candidate and @George Maxwell for your comments.

As always, I'm so grateful for all of the kind and helpful people in this community!

I have the AC tomorrow (after a month of waiting which I think has just made me more nervous!) so hope it goes ok, even if I don't end up getting the VS!
Have a great rest of your week 🙌🏼

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In my application, I often mention the current development of my start-up.
However, everything is still at seed level and I am really struggling on how to bring my idea to the next level.
Does anybody know how to get some mentorship or any kind help for struggling entrepreneurs?
@Jaysen will probably be best placed to help with this!

Reactions: Jaysen and S87

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021

23 Dec 2021 — applied and received automatic invite to Career Unlocked (Behavioural Based Assessment) by Arctic Shores

"Congratulations for passing the Behavioural Based Assessment and the screening stage: you are now one step closer to potentially receiving an offer! You are now going to be invited to the next stage of assessment which is called Career Conversation, otherwise known as the recorded video interview".​

23 Feb 2022 — PFO
"I hope this email finds you well. This is an update on your application for the Legal Summer Internship with us. Though you have passed the Video Interview, you have unfortunately not met the benchmarks in order to progress to the next stage of assessment. It is therefore with regret that we confirm you will not be progress to the Career Focus Day and that your application is being declined".​

I'm VERY confused by the PFO email and what they mean by the "benchmarks" that I have failed to meet — does this mean I failed certain aspects of the Arctic Shores assessment and therefore will not be progressed even though I did fine in the VI? If this is the case why did they tell me that I passed the behavioural based assessment when I was invited to VI? Or are they talking about some other "benchmarks" that we don't know about?

If I'm being rejected because I failed all/part of the Arctic Shores assessment, why did they even progress me to VI in the first place - is it because they want to give those who perhaps didn't do well in the initial assessment to prove themselves in the VI, and then review the application holistically (taking into account both VI and Arctic Shores performance) before deciding who gets to progress? If this is the case, why am I told that I "passed the video interview", but will not be progressed anyway? Could it be because I "passed the VI" but when reviewed together with my poor Arctic Shores performance, is still not good enough to progress compared to other candidates?

I'm just disheartened that I'm being told that I "passed the VI" but still will not be progressed, and not being told why. Would hate to think that I performed okay in the VI but am being rejected because I didn't do so well in Arctic Shores :( Also, I'm just generally really disappointed that I keep getting rejected from law firms because of psychometric tests when I have done relatively okay in other assessments e.g. application writing and VI. Is it worth emailing to ask what exactly is the "benchmark" they're referring to? I doubt they'll reply though, as they would just see this as another candidate asking for individual feedback, which they are unable to provide?
I cant comment as i dont know anything about PWC, but having had a rejection at AC before where I was told there was literally NOTHING that I could improve on, i understand how painful and confusing this situation can be.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

23 Feb 2022 — PFO

I am speculating, but I suspect they are screening your application post all of these assessments and then a final cut is made, and that the benchmark applies to your application rather than any of the assessments you have completed.

PwC will probably be getting somewhere between 50k-100k applications a year across all of their intern/graduate programmes (maybe even more) and so they use the assessments as a filtering tool which is quicker/produces better results than just reviewing your application alone before inviting you to such assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.