TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
APPLICATION DATES AND TIMELINE
Firm: PwC
Opportunity: Legal Summer Internship (London) 2022

23 Dec 2021 — applied and received automatic invite to Career Unlocked (Behavioural Based Assessment) by Arctic Shores
27 Dec 2021 — completed Arctic Shores Assessment (before deadline stipulated)
28 Dec 2021 — received Arctic Shores Assessment/Career Unlocked feedback report

04 Feb 2022 — received this video interview invite:
"Congratulations for passing the Behavioural Based Assessment and the screening stage: you are now one step closer to potentially receiving an offer! You are now going to be invited to the next stage of assessment which is called Career Conversation, otherwise known as the recorded video interview".​

12 Feb 2022 — completed HireVue VI (before deadline stipulated)
23 Feb 2022 — PFO
"I hope this email finds you well. This is an update on your application for the Legal Summer Internship with us. Though you have passed the Video Interview, you have unfortunately not met the benchmarks in order to progress to the next stage of assessment. It is therefore with regret that we confirm you will not be progress to the Career Focus Day and that your application is being declined".​

MY QUESTIONS — ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED :'(
I'm VERY confused by the PFO email and what they mean by the "benchmarks" that I have failed to meet — does this mean I failed certain aspects of the Arctic Shores assessment and therefore will not be progressed even though I did fine in the VI? If this is the case why did they tell me that I passed the behavioural based assessment when I was invited to VI? Or are they talking about some other "benchmarks" that we don't know about?

If I'm being rejected because I failed all/part of the Arctic Shores assessment, why did they even progress me to VI in the first place - is it because they want to give those who perhaps didn't do well in the initial assessment to prove themselves in the VI, and then review the application holistically (taking into account both VI and Arctic Shores performance) before deciding who gets to progress? If this is the case, why am I told that I "passed the video interview", but will not be progressed anyway? Could it be because I "passed the VI" but when reviewed together with my poor Arctic Shores performance, is still not good enough to progress compared to other candidates?

I'm just disheartened that I'm being told that I "passed the VI" but still will not be progressed, and not being told why. Would hate to think that I performed okay in the VI but am being rejected because I didn't do so well in Arctic Shores :( Also, I'm just generally really disappointed that I keep getting rejected from law firms because of psychometric tests when I have done relatively okay in other assessments e.g. application writing and VI. Is it worth emailing to ask what exactly is the "benchmark" they're referring to? I doubt they'll reply though, as they would just see this as another candidate asking for individual feedback, which they are unable to provide?
I am very sorry to hear about your experience ☹️☹️ If it is of any consolation to you, I had a similar experience with EY. I was rejected post tests, despite my email saying that I performed well and had positive results… However, they said they didn’t have a place for me. Completely understand how you feel 🥲

Cheer up !! No point dwelling on it, although I recognise how hard it is not to. 💓

Last edited:

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you @amerlin2022 , @unserious candidate and @George Maxwell for your comments.

As always, I'm so grateful for all of the kind and helpful people in this community!

I have the AC tomorrow (after a month of waiting which I think has just made me more nervous!) so hope it goes ok, even if I don't end up getting the VS!
Have a great rest of your week 🙌🏼

Hey @AspiringIPLawyer,

This is lovely to hear. @Jaysen would be delighted to see this (as am I!). I feel proud of to be a member of community and continue to admire the values that define it.

Wishing you the very best of luck for your AC too.

Please do let me know how it goes 🚀

doublejeopardy

Jan 26, 2022
In my application, I often mention the current development of my start-up.
However, everything is still at seed level and I am really struggling on how to bring my idea to the next level.
Does anybody know how to get some mentorship or any kind help for struggling entrepreneurs?
I could probably help with this if you'd like. Feel free to PM.

Reactions: S87

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
Oct 30, 2021
Would anyone know if the firms that have already completed their ACs have finalised their spring/summer vac scheme attendees list by now? I got placed on the reserve list for one firm and I'm wondering if there's no chance of getting a vac scheme spot now if they've already filled up their vac schemes

Reactions: George Maxwell

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
Those who have been successful at final stage interviews - roughly how much time did you spend prepping per day? And is one week ahead enough time to prepare fully? not that I have any other option lol
I am sure people can answer this better than I can, but:

1. IMO, a week ahead is more than enough time, especially if you have previously prepared for TIs/VIs/HR interviews.

2. By this stage, you should have your competency and motivational Qs pretty much nailed on. If not, do not panic, just keep revising them over and over, speaking out loud and practicing with friends + family.

3. From my experience, I spent the 3-days before my final interviews memorising a few deals, key relevant commercial themes, growth areas of the firm and its recent news [office openings, lateral hires, new practice areas (ESG)]. During the interviews, this was hardly covered, although this will of course vary.

At the end of the day, if you do all of this, it will be stored in your 'subconscious filing cabinet' and you can then pull out what you need, as and when.

Just be yourself, be confident, smile and you will be fine! From my experience, try not to guess 'what they want' or 'what a usual applicant would do', because interviewers can read you like a book.

Hope that helps.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    This is quite an odd question to ask, but I have my wisdom tooth coming out, and I have an interview coming up soon. Should I mention this at the start of the interview?

My speech is just really slowed that's all otherwise I keep biting the inside of my mouth 😂😢😭
    100% 😂 no one wants to be remembered as “that guy that kept drooling during the interview” without good reason LOL

(and on a side note, don’t worry about the procedure - I think we’ve all seen those awful videos and heard the stories of people saying it was sooooo terrible but I’ve had all 4 of mine removed and honestly it’s more of an annoyance due to the swelling/drooling/stiff jaw than anything else…. Good luck!!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.