TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
If anyone’s done the Vinson & Elkins interview and feels like they could help me out, I’d be grateful to chat. Never had an interview before and feel a bit nervous about what I’m getting myself into. Any help appreciated.
Haven't done a V&E interview before but linking some of TCLA's posts to help you prep for interviews/ACs more generally.
Let me know if this was useful. Wishing you the best!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
There's a really great podcast episode on Spotify with BrightNetwork and Chris Stoakes (author of 'All You Need to Know About the City') called 'Thinking Commercially' where he breakdowns blockchain, NFTs and their implications on the legal sphere. The podcast is great on the whole to improve knowledge and stay up to date! I'll link it below:

Hope it's helpful!
I will give this a listen! Thanks for the recommendation @sami.rehman 💪

• 🤝
Reactions: sami.rehman

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
When it is the right moment to ask about salary? When I applied to Sky, I did not check on glassdoor (stupid me) thinking that it was an international company so..pays well. The reviews are miserable, can I ask the HR? I do not want to sound like a money chaser but I have a mortgage, I live in London and need to travel a lot so the travel expenses are likely to balloon.
Hey @S87,

Yes! I think that this is absolutely a fair question. The only thing that I would suggest is that you prepare for this to be thrown back at you (i.e., "What salary are you expecting?" or "What would you like to be paid?"). It is always worth having an idea I think just in case you are asked this in an interview.

Hope that helps 😊

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
When it is the right moment to ask about salary? When I applied to Sky, I did not check on glassdoor (stupid me) thinking that it was an international company so..pays well. The reviews are miserable, can I ask the HR? I do not want to sound like a money chaser but I have a mortgage, I live in London and need to travel a lot so the travel expenses are likely to balloon.
Not unreasonable to bring it up at interview - I had one interview recently where salary came up in the first 5 minutes and we called it a day cause their budget was a massive lowball compared to what was on the table for other roles I was in process for - it was good to not waste anyone's time.

When discussing salary, going off of what George has raised above, do try very hard to get a range from the recruiter before playing your hand. If they won't give you a range, pitch high - higher than what you'd actually be willing to accept for - and let them negotiate you down a bit. Do not give your own range, because the offer will often come in at or near the bottom end and your hands are a bit tied because they already know it's a figure you're prepared to accept.

That said, especially early career I think it's worth prioritising better roles over high pay.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.
What they do, why they do it, how they got there are all worth asking. As you go through the kind of boilerplate questions little bits will come up that you can follow into more detail to improve understanding and build rapport

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and S87

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is not an issue - mistakes happen.

If the mistake is made on your application and the details you send the the reference check company, they will probably want to understand why this mistake was made twice. The severity of the mistake (eg presenting a week’s) work experience as a year’s may cause more problems in these instances though.
    I wanted to ask something related to this also.

If you progress to the VS and then realise there was a mistake with one of your university grades does the law firm automatically withdraw your application. For example, if you got a 58 in an exam but put 68 instead. Will that mean that your VS will get cancelled.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I wanted to ask something related to this also.

If you progress to the VS and then realise there was a mistake with one of your university grades does the law firm automatically withdraw your application. For example, if you got a 58 in an exam but put 68 instead. Will that mean that your VS will get cancelled.
    There is a chance your application could be withdrawn on such an error - it is not unknown. But there are lots of variables that will impact the decision - the strength of your performance in the recruitment process, whether there are any other mistakes, how good your references are, the weight of the evidence on the application in the first place, the scale of the error, your reason for presenting the wrong information.

It’s why checking all details on your application is vital. No one will pick up mistakes like mistyped dates/numbers on your CV, only you will spot them, so proof checking all these details and ensuring the details are correct should be a vital part of your drafting process.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker!

Due to conflicting dates, I had to decline one of my VS offer. When I called the firm, the grad rec asked whether I would be interested in joining their winter vacation scheme later this year (assuming that I do not secure any TC after this summer). Would you say that it is a common practice? I have to say that I was quite surprised.
    Yes, it’s fairly common to offer an alternative like this. They know there is a risk you might secure a TC by then, but at the same time your experiences over the summer might push you more towards them. They clearly don’t want to close the door to you, so this is a great outcome in my eyes.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hi everyone, finally have a minute to firm up my WBD app answer, but just having a slight wobble. The question asks for a local project or development - what is local? Like within 50 miles maybe? I’m applying to the Leeds office - does it just have to be something in the north, or in Leeds/immediate surrounding area? (What I want to write about is 40 miles away). Thanks :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi everyone, finally have a minute to firm up my WBD app answer, but just having a slight wobble. The question asks for a local project or development - what is local? Like within 50 miles maybe? I’m applying to the Leeds office - does it just have to be something in the north, or in Leeds/immediate surrounding area? (What I want to write about is 40 miles away). Thanks :)
    Imo if it's in Yorkshire you should be fine

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, that will be fine. I’d take it to be anything in the region or closest to that office (compared to other offices they have).

Reactions: Hele25, AvniD and Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    However probably worth querying grad rec directly to clarify

Reactions: Hele25

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    @George Maxwell - I have an upcoming vac scheme and HSF and was wondering if you have any tips on preparing for the HSF vac scheme/interviews on the scheme?
    Hey @gracelaw_,

Congratulations on the scheme once again! When is your scheme?

On my vacation scheme I was not actually formally interviewed at all. There was a final exit Partner 'chat' (which we were told was not assessed), and in all fairness the Partner that spoke with me was absolutely lovely. He basically asked about the best bits of my time at the firm and what I had enjoyed/not enjoyed doing etc.

One slightly scary thing that did happen was the head of the group that I was sat in (in both seats) gave me an impromptu call to check-in (which did feel a bit like an interview). Although again I think that this may just have been more of a check-in rather than an interview.

Broadly speaking my tips specifically for HSF would be:
    • Be organised with your time. Both my supervisors on my scheme said they wanted me to demonstrate good time management and the ability to handle different work streams. To do this, make sure that you ask the questions included in my post (linked below) whenever you are given a task. HSF (in my experience) is not a firm where working extra late as a vacation schemer will be admired. I was really encouraged to employ sustainable working habits.
    • Proactively reach out to people that are working in practice areas that interest you. This is not something that will get you extra credit, but it will give you a better 'feel' of the firm and the sorts of opportunities that would be available to you if you trained there. My experience of the firm was that people were particularly willing to put aside time to speak to vacation schemers, so make the most of the opportunity!
    • Have a high attention to detail. This really matters at HSF. Spelling errors are viewed as careless and will count against you (in your assessed tasks, for example). Related to this point (and this might sound obvious) is that the tasks you are given are not necessarily split neatly into assessed and non-assessed tasks. I think that my supervisors were able to choose the best/most representative piece of work that I produced during my seat with them, so treat anything and everything that you do for your supervisor like it is assessed. This could include verbal summaries too, for example.
    • Show that you are open-minded. Often people go to HSF for its disputes work. However, this overlooks the fact that HSF is one of the few firms which gives its trainees the opportunity to experience top work in both contentious and non-contentious practice areas. It is great to demonstrate enthusiasm about HSF's full offering rather than a wish to do a particular sort of work. That being said, it is absolutely fine to show interest in a particular area (just as long as this is coupled with an open mind about other practice areas too!).
    Here are some links to (some of) the best content on the forum. I hope this will be helpful reading ahead of your vacation scheme:
    Please do reach out if you need anything else Grace! That goes for anyone else wanting thoughts on this topic (or anything else!)
    I actually doubt it - a lot of firms have put out statements regarding their position, which means there will have been an internal email in the firm beforehand stating that if anyone is approached by the press for any sort of comments on the matter to please direct them to a press representative. Having an open discussion about it with you at an interview would put that "united front" image at risk.

If someone does somehow bring it up I'd just try to stay as vague and diplomatic as possible. Acknowledge it's a difficult spot to be in and it is a decision that affects a lot of people, and that hopefully it can be resolved swiftly.
    So I think this depends on the firm actually @FS.

For example, at Slaughters, I would think that it was a topic where having a point of view that you can confidently defend would be entirely appropriate. One of the things that I would change about my general interview approach looking back would be to be more ambitious with the opinions I put forward. I think it is risky to appear too hesitant on contentious topics (sometimes) so I don't think that this approach is always the best option.

How can we add to the 'VS Interview' & 'VS Application' database? I am keen to add my experience and successful AC app but unsure how to go about it. Just wanna pass it forward!
    Hey @hungry_for_TC,

I know that you have received a reply to this already, but I just wanted to thank you for being so willing to help the community. These interview accounts are invaluable for the community (and in my opinion open up the recruitment process to those who do not have a pre-existing network to draw on!).

I am so pleased that you have had success this cycle 🚲 too!
    Has anyone ever done an interview with Cooley before and knows what to expect?
    @WannabeSolicitor24 @James Carrabino ?
    Does anyone have any advice on how best to answer 'What do you think is the biggest opportunity for [x firm] in the near future?
    Would you split this by opportunities for the firm's client's, and therefore business for the firm, as well as general opportunities to stay competitive?
    @James Carrabino I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on this!

For those that do not know, James was a prolific application reviewer for the team earlier in the year so he has some fantastic advice to share.

If you have not already, I would really recommend taking a look through this thread (where he reveals common application pitfalls) which is based off his application review role at TCLA!
    I completely forgot to submit the written part of my AC and the grad rec emailed me today to complete it (it was due 6 days ago and my life has gotten so hectic that I just forgot to do it)

Well fully anticipating a PFO now 😩
    Hey @21wajsz,

I am sorry to hear that you have had such a stressful experience. I fully empathise. Similar things happened to me when I was applying! All I would say is that GR would not have emailed you so that you supply it if they didn't want to read it!

Please do let me know how it goes 💪
    Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.
    Hey @S87,

How did the chat go?

For what it's worth, my advice for this would be to speak to them like they are a human being (rather than a living answer bank. I have had people reach out to me about my experiences in the past (obviously I am not an associate (yet 😉)), but the conversations which I feel that both I (and the person I am speaking to) get the most out of are those which are more natural.

A great way to do this is to treat it as an opportunity to learn about the other person's experiences and see where it goes from there (e.g., why did they choose law? Why the firm? What do they enjoy about the job? Is there anything they would do differently?).
    Hi @Jessica Booker!

Due to conflicting dates, I had to decline one of my VS offer. When I called the firm, the grad rec asked whether I would be interested in joining their winter vacation scheme later this year (assuming that I do not secure any TC after this summer). Would you say that it is a common practice? I have to say that I was quite surprised.
    Hey @M991,

Adding to what Jess already said on this, this actually happened to me when I was applying too so I do not think it is hugely unusual. That being said, well done though! The firm obviously really liked you and recognised that you have potential! 🚀

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 2, 2021
    Bumping up the question ... has anyone here had an interview with Cooley and know what to expect/what their general vibe is? I went to a Ropes & Gray AC last week and they said on their website they value "individualism and entrepreneurialism" yet everyone was really nice, collaborative, and it didn't seem hierarchical or cut-throat at all. If anything it seemed the opposite of individualistic... so I'm worried about Cooley, and that I'll try and read the website and sus out the vibe but that the website will give me an ill impression of what the interviewers really will expect of someone working there. Any thoughts?

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
    Do you think it is a disadvantage if the word count for your application forms answers is significantly lower than the maximum word count?

My writing style is usually very succinct, but based on the feedback I have received at uni, I rarely omit important things. For example, I have gotten high 2.1s before on 2500w essays where I had only written 1600 words.

I am now writing the answers to some questions that have a 400w maximum low count and I am struggling to write more than 275-300w without giving unnecessary details just for the sake of raising the word count.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.