TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Hello, does anyone know if I can apply to Shearman vacation twice in the same cycle?

i.e. I applied to their 2021 Winter VS and was rejected, now I am looking to apply for their 2022 Summer VS, and I couldn't find any specific statement on their website requesting candidates only to submit one application per recruitment cycle.

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hello @Jessica Booker. Hope you're well.

One of the questions in an application I am currently working on asks about a practice area I am interested in. I was planning on mentioning a case that representatives from the firm talked about during a case study workshop I attended around a year ago - I found it very interesting. However, I have just found out that the firm eventually lost the case and they do not mention it anywhere on the website. Therefore, I am not sure whether I should mention it, or rather not as it could seem like I have not been following the subsequent developments... I don't know. Maybe I am just overthinking it :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker. Hope you're well.

One of the questions in an application I am currently working on asks about a practice area I am interested in. I was planning on mentioning a case that representatives from the firm talked about during a case study workshop I attended around a year ago - I found it very interesting. However, I have just found out that the firm eventually lost the case and they do not mention it anywhere on the website. Therefore, I am not sure whether I should mention it, or rather not as it could seem like I have not been following the subsequent developments... I don't know. Maybe I am just overthinking it :D
You still have to represent clients and you won’t always win cases - it’s part of being a litigator, so I don’t think it’s an issue mentioning it as long as you explain what it was about the case that made it interesting to you.

kajsa.persson

Standard Member
Oct 10, 2021
Hi, I couldn't do the Watson Glaser test for Hogan Lovells due to experiencing technical issues mid-test (so it got submitted with no answers), I've messaged Grad Recruitment about it. Does anyone know whether they would send me a new test link?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hello, does anyone know if I can apply to Shearman vacation twice in the same cycle?

i.e. I applied to their 2021 Winter VS and was rejected, now I am looking to apply for their 2022 Summer VS, and I couldn't find any specific statement on their website requesting candidates only to submit one application per recruitment cycle.
I would be surprised if they permit that, but yeah they don't say anything in any of the obvious places.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Well, I have a VI with Irwin Mitchell..their private practice is quite good. Any tips?! Can you give me some tips on how to approach the questions?
    Think of the difference between “private practice” and “private client” if you’re going to mention that in the why IM question

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you @AvniD !! What are your top tips for making sure we apply commercial awareness to the case study questions. I need to make sure I answer in enough detail and I need to be able to think on my feet a bit more, so do you have any advice for this? Thanks!
    Hi @OO28,

Welcome to the forum! 🙌 I hope that you have had a restful few days since you posted this.

Adding to what @AvniD said, I thought that you might find the following links to some of the best resources on TCLA useful. These might be helpful to look at before your case study interview!
    • Here is a thread about podcasts to check out if you are looking to improve your commercial awareness ahead of your interview. I completely agree with Avni about other resources, particularly Watson's Daily. I found doing some reading little and often worked well. For example, reading through an FT article or Watson's Daily with a morning coffee.
    • General tips for case study interviews.
    • @Jacob Miller's fantastic article on case studies. It might be helpful to look at his other articles (linked here), particularly "Foundations of Commercial Law".
    • Structuring answers in case study interviews.
    • If you are a non-law student, the level of legal knowledge a firm may expect of you in a case study interview.
    • Tips for case studies requiring you to weigh up two companies/options.
    I hope this helps! 🚀

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Could anyone tell me what slaughter and may’s top practice areas are? Like the 2-3 areas that they are best in/most focused on?
    Hey @Law2021vacschemer,

I would take a look at Chambers and Partners for this sort of information. Band 1 is the highest ranking a practice area can be awarded for reference.

In general though, Slaughters are particularly renowned for their corporate M&A work. They are also strong in corporate finance, tax, financial restructuring and competition (albeit this list is definitely non-exhaustive!).

I hope that helps 🚀

Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.