TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This may be outdated - but the values of 'commitment to client service, responsiveness, integrity, teamwork and the highest quality of legal work' were mentioned in their 2010 global exchange document :)
    On their ‘Meet the recruiter’ page for lawcareers.net, they say “At Mayer Brown, we’re looking for hard-working and committed individuals who demonstrate a passion for the work we have on offer for our trainee cohort. We want our trainees to be intellectually curious and business minded. As a firm, we also pride ourselves on our culture, and so we’re looking for authenticity and enthusiasm in our prospective trainees. Throughout the recruitment process, we’ll be testing candidates’ resilience, adaptability, and commercial awareness, as well as placing an emphasis on their knowledge of the legal industry and, specifically, Mayer Brown.”

Also, could I please ask how long it took to receive the test post-application?
    Thank you very much both for this. This is helpful.

Interested_In_Law

Standard Member
    Sep 21, 2022
    I haven't received an email from Slaughter but when I visit the website it now states application withdrawn... suppose that means PFO :( (or maybe accidentally withdrawn?? a little confused aha).
    Turns out it was an error and I have received an interview invite! (For the summer vacation scheme)

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Esteemed Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Do A&O send confirmation that your test has been completed? I took the test yesterday, and I didn’t receive any confirmation; my deadline is later today, so I am unsure if I should check if it submitted.

Also, did anyone else find the test really difficult? Honestly the hardest test I’ve ever taken for a firm, which seems to go against what I’d previously read about it!

Selenarina

Premium Member
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Do A&O send confirmation that your test has been completed? I took the test yesterday, and I didn’t receive any confirmation; my deadline is later today, so I am unsure if I should check if it submitted.

Also, did anyone else find the test really difficult? Honestly the hardest test I’ve ever taken for a firm, which seems to go against what I’d previously read about it!
    There is no email confirmation, there is only an in-browser message when you finish that says “thank you”. You should receive your results via email in 24 hours!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    When firms state on their website that they recommend applying for a vacation scheme (instead of a training contract) if you haven't completed legal work experience, do they mean vacation schemes only? Or does work experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, inter etc. count?

Sorry, this has always confused me

Narince

Nov 8, 2022
    Mine says "Experience day: Under Review: Your application is under review. Please await further communication" followed by

"Next Up: EY Experience Day"
    Thank you for your application to EY and congratulations on making it to this stage in the recruitment process.

We are currently shortlisting candidates and will shortly be in touch as to whether you have been successful in securing a place on our EY Experience Day. We will send you an invite via email to confirm this and details of the event.

Not entirely sure if this is good news at all, the wait is making me really anxious!
    Hey! I have the same message. When did you complete the assessments, just trying to gauge a wait time haha

torialonge

• Sep 5, 2022
    When firms state on their website that they recommend applying for a vacation scheme (instead of a training contract) if you haven't completed legal work experience, do they mean vacation schemes only? Or does work experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, inter etc. count?

i think they just mean general legal experience so paralegal and etc should count.

Reactions: bibss

alishaalexandra1

Distinguished Member
    Aug 3, 2022

definitely counts- in an interview they brought up my paralegal experience and asked why I didn't apply for a TC directly

• ℹ️
    Reactions: bibss and Adrian_S

Sandrr_O

Valued Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Any tips for a successful application for DLA Piper's Summer Internship
    Thank you!
    I would also like to hear anyone's tips on the application question about a news story.. do you have to link your answer back to the firm? how would one structure their answer; a brief background detailing the story and explaining why the news story interests you - would that suffice?

Reactions: hanz123

traineedreamer

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    I would also like to hear anyone's tips on the application question about a news story.. do you have to link your answer back to the firm? how would one structure their answer; a brief background detailing the story and explaining why the news story interests you - would that suffice?
    Grad Rec said it's best to choose a story that genuinely interests you and that you don't have to link it back to the firm. They're really interested in why it interests you though so you should make sure to write enough about it!

• ✅
    Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.