Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I made a stupid mistake :( I wrote my covering letter (within an application) and forgot to sign off (eg yours faithfully and then my name). I wrote everything else fine, I just can’t believe I was so stupid and have now sent off the application. Will this affect my application at all? And should I email grad rec and address it? @Jessica Booker
I wouldn’t email about it in all honesty - I don’t think it would help in anyway.

It’s hard to know whether it will impact your application or not. I have seen things like this ignored for strong applications.

Reactions: Parsorandini

rose888

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hi in Travers Smith vac scheme application, they give space for 4x work experience, and then a section for other work experience - how much would be acceptable to put in this other box? or does it not matter

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    The Baker McKenzie application opened today and they have the same application questions as last year. As I passed the application stage last year wanted to ask. For the application question 3 things that are personal to you that make BM different. Can I use the same answer as last application cycle or change it a bit. What are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker
    I have the same question. I applied for a direct TC this year.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

YA

Mar 26, 2020
    Hey, could someone please help me confirm A&O's winter vacation scheme questions?

The two that I have are:

1. Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)
    2. Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients. (300 words)

For some reason, I cannot log back into my account and am waiting for the issue to be resolved.

Thank you

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Hey, could someone please help me confirm A&O's winter vacation scheme questions?

The two that I have are:

1. Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)
    2. Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients. (300 words)

For some reason, I cannot log back into my account and am waiting for the issue to be resolved.

Thank you
    Coincidentally, I am having the same issues with the online portal.

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Has anyone gotten to AC with Linklaters with 'respect' as their lowest scoring attribute? :( Such a disheartening categorisation to get seeing as it was based on seeking out challenging tasks rather than familiar ones!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Has anyone gotten to AC with Linklaters with 'respect' as their lowest scoring attribute? :( Such a disheartening categorisation to get seeing as it was based on seeking out challenging tasks rather than familiar ones!
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it! Nobody really knows what they are looking for and the report you get after completing the test doesn’t really say much about your overall performance!

On another note, can I ask you which percentage does your portal show under ‘progress’? They keep changing it every year! Very confusing…

Reactions: AvniD and samni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The two that I have are:

Thank you
    Yes, these questions are what they have been asking this year.

Reactions: YA

Username9999

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2022
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it! Nobody really knows what they are looking for and the report you get after completing the test doesn’t really say much about your overall performance!

On another note, can I ask you which percentage does your portal show under ‘progress’? They keep changing it every year! Very confusing…
    I’m on 77% hold, hbu?

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020

Thanks - hope it looks better as a whole! Mine's on 77% post WG, which I took this morning

Civ457

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 7, 2022
    Is not having attended any open days or live events a negative to an application? What are other ways to show your interest in a firm without attending these these event? I am working full time at the minute so would struggle to attend the events this winter - I am working in the legal sector to gain more experience and have tried to complete virtual internships. Thanks!

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Is not having attended any open days or live events a negative to an application? What are other ways to show your interest in a firm without attending these these event? I am working full time at the minute so would struggle to attend the events this winter - I am working in the legal sector to gain more experience and have tried to complete virtual internships. Thanks!
    You don’t have to attend it’s just helpful to name-drop to show you made an effort to get an insight from inside the firm. You could maybe reach out to someone from the firm over LinkedIn or email to ask to meet super briefly over teams (explain what stage you’re at) or just to ask a question about the firm? I previously emailed a partner at a law firm with a question and he replied straight away. You could also reference reading e.g. an associate’s blog posts on a law firm’s website or listening to a podcast and mention why that got you interested in the firm and a certain way they do things there.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Try to attend webinars instead? Or watch YouTube videos put out by the firm or firm interviews? You could try and follow up with the people in these webinars/videos/interviews on LinkedIn if you have a question you want to ask them about their practice or work after you introduce yourself!

Tonye

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021
    Has anyone been invited an A&O AC? I applied in the middle of september but I still haven't heard back from them and i'm getting kinda worried!!
    I'm in the same boat but I applied on the 25th! I saw a post somewhere that said they had gotten a rejection after about a month or so but haven't seen any AC invites yet

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    i am applying for the taylor wessing summer 2023 VS and the first question is "tell us about any activities you have been involved with over the past 3 years that you feel has helped build your skillset. This can range from sports teams to mooting, to simply juggling responsibilities you have at home."

I was thinking of talking about my year abroad, since I went during covid and I feel like I came back a lot more confident, resilient and motivated. But do law firms care about year abroads? Or should I try to think of something else to put? I was also thinking about writing about chess society or orchestra, but again I don't know if they care about this kind of thing. I could write about mooting but I have already written about this in the next question (which about my most significant achievement).

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    i am applying for the taylor wessing summer 2023 VS and the first question is "tell us about any activities you have been involved with over the past 3 years that you feel has helped build your skillset. This can range from sports teams to mooting, to simply juggling responsibilities you have at home."

I was thinking of talking about my year abroad, since I went during covid and I feel like I came back a lot more confident, resilient and motivated. But do law firms care about year abroads? Or should I try to think of something else to put? I was also thinking about writing about chess society or orchestra, but again I don't know if they care about this kind of thing. I could write about mooting but I have already written about this in the next question (which about my most significant achievement).

Any guidance is much appreciated!
    I think you would need to really focus on the activities you did on your year abroad to sell this, rather than just the year abroad itself.

The Chess Society and Orchestra will be of interest to. Try to show your involvement and impact in these activities if you can, and try to align it to what the firm is looking for skills wise.

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Has anyone already been invited to BCLP's Assessment Centre? I realise it's relatively early in the cycle, but given that the firm reviews applications on a rolling basis, I'm curious about when their ACs start.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.