Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a somewhat similar question so I'd be really happy if @Jessica Booker can answer it. I attended about 30 events as part of my preparation for the last application cycle. These were events hosted by the firm and not open days (so not competitive at all, just required a basic registration). As I will be going into a full-time job soon, I believe I may not have the time to attend any of these online events now since they won’t match my schedule (I am based out of India).

Q1. Does this put me at a disadvantage?

Q2. Can I still use the older events as part of a single work experience entry even if I don't attend any new webinars/events? Or, should I try my best to attend the recent ones?

Thanks in advance.
1) no - it’s doesn’t disadvantage you

2)Yes - you can reference older events too.

I really don’t think attending events contribute to your application being successful or not. Firms will meet hundreds, possibly thousands of people over the course of an academic year, so it really won’t help your application purely but stating you attended an event. Where it can help is you gaining information that will inform your application.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
1) no - it’s doesn’t disadvantage you

2)Yes - you can reference older events too.

I really don’t think attending events contribute to your application being successful or not. Firms will meet hundreds, possibly thousands of people over the course of an academic year, so it really won’t help your application purely but stating you attended an event. Where it can help is you gaining information that will inform your application.
Thank you so much for your response.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is the Shearman All grad hires website down?
If it’s near a few deadlines across multiple firms (even if it is not the firm you are applying to), it can easily be down due to over use. This is one of the key reasons I advise not applying the night of the deadline (because too many people leave it last minute and the system can’t cope).

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Hi guys,

One of the questions on Shearman's application form asks candidates why they are applying to a "City law firm" - is this generally interchangeable with "why commercial law" (so basically can be responded to with a normal "why commercial law" answer, but with references to "City law" rather than "commercial law"), or do you think it's more likely that Shearman are thinking along different lines (e.g. expecting candidates to talk about why they want to work for a firm that operates in the City, rather than a regional firm?

@Jessica Booker

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I'd still try to refine it - it is fine if the themes are the same but consider whether you can present it in a slightly different way or whether on a second review you feel you could improve your writing style etc.
    Thank you very much for this. I agree with your point will try to make small changes to it as an application can always be improved.

Sorry for the late response I actually took a break from applications and the forum for a while.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Gowling WLG is very proud to have been the Official Legal Advisers to and Official Sponsor of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. What are the benefits to Gowling WLG of doing this?
    What are your initial thoughts for the question?

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    hey guys, if anyone has completed the HL winter vac scheme or lift off programme application - could you let me know how long after they give you to complete the WG?

kmo15

Feb 16, 2022
    Thank you! I heard back around an hour ago and it'll be my first in-person AC, hence the question!
    Congrats to you, could you please let us know when did you complete your Test and roughly how much time are they taking to revert? moreover, what are the dates looking like for the AC at HSF?

Thank you so much! Good Luck to you!

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Congrats to you, could you please let us know when did you complete your Test and roughly how much time are they taking to revert? moreover, what are the dates looking like for the AC at HSF?

Thank you so much! Good Luck to you!
    Thank you! So here is my story:
    1. Submitted my application on 6/09;
    2. Completed my test on 7/09;
    3. Received confirmation of reaching the benchmark on 8/09;
    4. Invited to attend an AC on 09/10;
    5. There was only 1 available slot at the beginning of the next week.
    Good luck to you too! 😀

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD, ellwilsen and kmo15
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.