TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
Sadly, I have also accepted that it's probably a rejection at this point. Does anyone know if Covington generally do reject people, or if they're one of those firms who never actually reply?
It's a weird one - no one has posted having heard from them on the forum. Either:

- Not many people applied, haha
- They never get back to you; or
- They invite people to an AC/interview and make very quick decisions afterwards. The scheme is supposedly at the end of the month so it would be tight.

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
Oct 14, 2022
It's a weird one - no one has posted having heard from them on the forum. Either:

- Not many people applied, haha
- They never get back to you; or
- They invite people to an AC/interview and make very quick decisions afterwards. The scheme is supposedly at the end of the month so it would be tight.
One person did post about hearing from them in the second half of last week, i think for an interview this week. They said they believe they're doing it in batches. I think we should at least wait until the end of this week before we assume its a no - the fact that they never announced the actual date for their vac scheme makes it seem like it might be pushed back to that last week of nov/start of dec depending on how they're going

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Also, does anybody know if firms let you extend TC signing deadlines? I have a Spring Vac Scheme sorted with Weil that I would love to be able to do, but if I get a WVS with another firm I am not sure how long they would give me to sign/maybe swap to the summer vac scheme so I can do my spring scheme. Not sure if people have experience with this
    did you do Weil's fast track scheme? Congrats on the VS!

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Ah fair enough! I remember last year I only had 5 other people in my AC and grad rec said 18 people overall had been invited to the WVS ACs. Also I said 8/9 only for WVS because I thought that was what you were specifically asking about - but I agree it's definitely have more spaces if you're looking at the complete cycle :)
    What i meant is, Clyde & Co offer around 50 training contracts regularly and they only hold 1 winter VS, 1 spring scheme and 1 summer scheme so that’s why I was thinking it didn’t add up if only 8/9 ppl got invited to the acc VS.
    That’s all.

Reactions: CC03

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

I've got a query about the Referees section of an application form I'm currently filling in. Normally, when I'm asked to give details of my non-academic referee, I choose one of the co-authors of a research paper who's been overseeing research I've been carrying out for him over the last year or so. However, on the application form I'm currently on, I'm asked to give details of a "Company/Organisation Referee" - given that I'm not carrying out work for this person in the context of an organisation per se, but instead more of an ad hoc working relationship, I assume I'm not able to put this person down as a referee on this particular form.

Ordinarily, as a "Plan B" of sorts, I'd write down the person who supervised mentoring work I've been carrying out - but he's recently retired, and hasn't been available to contact in recent months (and even if he was, I'm not sure he'd be eligible to write down as a referee, given that he doesn't actually work at the relevant organisation anymore). Pretty much my only other option is to write down my former supervisor's replacement, but as she's just coming into the role, I've yet to actually carry out any work for her yet.

What do you think would be the best way for me to proceed? I'd be massively grateful for any help you could give me :)

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am thinking about current issues that will have an impact on the legal profession - I am thinking about alternative legal structures or the challenges of legal tech. Would people say these 2 are good examples.
    I'd personally advise again ALS unless there is a very specific development in the market that has happened in the last 18 months.

They have been around for over a decade now, and I don't think they have really had the impact on the industry that many were expecting. Of course, there might be some exceptions - it could be impacting the firm you are applying to far more than the sector in general.

With Legal Tech, be specific. Don't talk about it broadly, try to find a type of legal tech or a particular current theme with legal tech.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Stasis

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2022
    I am thinking about current issues that will have an impact on the legal profession - I am thinking about alternative legal structures or the challenges of legal tech. Would people say these 2 are good examples.
    I agree with what Jessica has said, but I would also add that there are a couple of things you could talk about which are more specific and more current: ESG (specifically, the regulatory response to climate change, like the EU's Taxonomy Regulation); and the current state of the leveraged finance market.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I'd personally advise again ALS unless there is a very specific development in the market that has happened in the last 18 months.

They have been around for over a decade now, and I don't think they have really had the impact on the industry that many were expecting. Of course, there might be some exceptions - it could be impacting the firm you are applying to far more than the sector in general.

With Legal Tech, be specific. Don't talk about it broadly, try to find a type of legal tech or a particular current theme with legal tech.
    Apologies if I mis wrote my question.

I read somewhere this year that there is a rise in ALS and this means that accountancy firms are going to change the legal sector by clients going to accountancy firms for legal advice rather than law firms which is a challenge for law firms. I was going to discuss how this is a challenge for law firms. Don't know if I am correct with this.

But anyone who knows more about this feel free to elaborate on this.

I agree with what Jessica has said, but I would also add that there are a couple of things you could talk about which are more specific and more current: ESG (specifically, the regulatory response to climate change, like the EU's Taxonomy Regulation); and the current state of the leveraged finance market.
    Thank you very much for this.

My concern with ESG is that everyone is talking about this right now so it is something everyone knows about.

Also in regard to leveraged finance, I would like to know more about that sector as I don't know much about leverage finance.

Finally thank you very much both this is really helpful.

• Haha
    Reactions: jnvkkbkjbkZXBJZX

Eileen

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 1, 2022
    Hii,
    I wish to apply for an open day but it says:
    'To be eligible to apply to this event, undergraduate candidates need to have reached the penultimate year of their law degree or the final year of a non-law degree.'

does this mean that graduates cannot apply for the open day or it is just specifying the year of study for undergrads?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hii,
    I wish to apply for an open day but it says:
    'To be eligible to apply to this event, undergraduate candidates need to have reached the penultimate year of their law degree or the final year of a non-law degree.'

does this mean that graduates cannot apply for the open day or it is just specifying the year of study for undergrads?
    To me this suggests you can be past this stage, as you have "reached" this stage and have passed it. But it is probably worthwhile checking with the firm as it isn't 100% clear.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.