Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I attended a remote AC recently. I was supposed to join a 15-minute Zoom call right after my associate/HR interview. However my internet crashed right after the interview - I panicked for a bit and by the time I got it back up the 15 minutes was up. I emailed grad rec after apologising for this and told them that I am happy to reschedule a 15-minute call with the trainee at another time - they haven't gotten back to me since.

I can't help but feel super guilty for wasting their time and that a trainee was probably waiting on a call for 15 minutes but I didn't show up. Would this have any effect on how my performance at AC is reviewed?

Also, out of curiosity, at ACs firms usually let us have interaction with trainees either through a Q&A (or if in person, usually an office tour). What exactly is the point of this — is it just to help candidates feel a bit more settled and is genuinely un-assessed, or does this get fed into the assessment process in any way (e.g. will they ask trainees for feedback re whether the candidate said or did smth that would come across as rude/uninterested/unenthusiastic)? Or is this completely firm-dependent?
Tech issues happen - I really wouldn't worry about this.

Interactions with trainees is really a chance for the candidate to work out if the firm is right for them/fill in some time. They aren't formally assessed, but I have had enough trainees go out of their way to email me and say someone was particularly engaged/impressive or the complete opposite and a PITA. It doesn't really influence the decision and typically just verifies what's been picked up from other assessments anyway.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Does anyone know whether Akin Gump have a direct TC route?

They do have a direct TC route. But in the last application cycle, they appeared to only offer TCs to those who took part in the vacation scheme. Having spoken to grad recruitment, it's likely they'll do the same this year as well (though you can't always know for sure). Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , May I ask if I start my SQE next year without a TC, and subsequently secure a TC along the way, will firms be willing to pay the tuition fees?
It will depend on the individual firm's policy on this. Some will reimburse both any prep courses and assessment fees, others will just reimburse the assessment fees, others might not reimburse anything (some firm's didn't reimburse the LPC). If that is going to be a major factor for you in deciding which firms to apply to (and for many candidates it does), there is no harm in checking the firm's individual policy on this by speaking to the GR team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.