TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2021
Hi guys, I am hoping to get some advice on how suitable of a candidate I am for a corporate or commercial TC/VS. I graduated from King's with a high 2.1 in a non-law degree in 2020 and took a year out. I then studied the GDL at BPP (achieved a high merit) and I am now completing the LPC. I have been active in a number of societies but have very minimal/no work experience. I have also never completed a VS (but I do intend to paralegal for a bit after graduating from the LPC). I have been putting off VS and direct TC applications for the last two years because of 1) fear, 2) thinking I don't have what it takes to get an offer and 3) not having enough work experience to pad out my applications.

I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what they think I can aim for as my imposter syndrome is getting the better of me. Are my prospects pretty good - could I aim for a lot of firms (i.e. American, Magic Circle, International, Silver Circle) or are some too far out of reach?

Also if anyone has a TC or has completed a VS with a similar background to me then it would be great to know your experience with applications:)

I would say you have higher prospects than you think! King's is a reputable University and to get in for undergraduate is not easy, regardless of the field so applaud yourself for that! Also, I went to an A&O event yesterday and an associate and a current trainee there said that they found the GDL more difficult than they thought it would be so ALSO applaud yourself for getting high merit - I haven't done it but I'm doing the LPC now and find it difficult and most people say the GDL is harder - I can't imagine! The voice inside you telling you that you're an imposter or someone is going to find you out is a liar because YOU put in that work to get yourself where you are. Your academics are strengths where your work experience lacks. You can always do forage experiences, they're free and will give you somewhat of an experience to start off with for now. Your experiences don't have to be higher and mighty (legal or non-legal) - every experience counts, it's mostly how you present the transferable skills. Maybe @Jessica Booker can chip in here too.

I can relate to putting off applications because of fear, I let that control me during my undergraduate because I saw my international background as a disadvantage (that I will most definitely be rejected because how can I possibly succeed more than someone from here who's also applying). Also, the fear was kind of crippling, I remember when I first submitted an open-day application, just submitting it, I told my friend - omg, I didn't die. This cycle is my first proper cycle after all those years and I look back on that with compassion. My body perceived fear that it wanted to protect me from - I'm grateful to my body but I also acknowledge that that fear wasn't necessary - I wasn't in danger, I remind myself that rejection won't kill me and if anything, whatever the rejection is, is not for me. What is for you will come to you, remember that. All you can do is push forward. ☺️

For your imposter syndrome
- Talk about it more with people
- List out all your achievements and think about how much effort you had to put into studying to get that grade, what sacrifices you had to make

For you fear
- Positive thinking and affirmations - you deserve what you seek
- Remember that regret will hurt more than fear ever will
- Be patient with yourself
Finally, honestly, do it scared too, that's my biggest one.

You got this!

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    i had a quick q regarding big tech regulation, i was struggling w thinking about what challenges could arise if big tech companies were forced to break up given many of these companies extend jurisdictions and economies, if anyone knows pls hmu ahaha

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    hello! does anyone have advice on how to prepare for a vacation scheme with a view to getting the most out of it and hopefully converting it into a TC offer? I have no legal experience, so would be very grateful for any insight into how people prepare.

For e.g., is it typical to contact current trainees/lawyers (such as those in particular DE+I groups one might be interested in) to make yourself known before a scheme?

Reactions: Phoebe123451

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hello! does anyone have advice on how to prepare for a vacation scheme with a view to getting the most out of it and hopefully converting it into a TC offer? I have no legal experience, so would be very grateful for any insight into how people prepare.

For e.g., is it typical to contact current trainees/lawyers (such as those in particular DE+I groups one might be interested in) to make yourself known before a scheme?
    I wouldn't really go out of my way to connect with people before the scheme - it would be better to do this during the scheme (it will come across as more genuine).

There is some great advice here:

Convert your vacation scheme into a training contract | The Corporate Law Academy
    Vacation Scheme Guide - Updated for 2019! | The Corporate Law Academy
    (1) Converting your vacation scheme into a training contract - top tips in 2021 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

Reactions: lik0401

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you're told who your interviewers are before an interview, is there an expectation that you'll have researched them/know their background etc?
    No - the interview is about you not them. I would look them up on LinkedIn or the firm's website to understand their role, but I wouldn't do any further digging than that unless there was something that stood out as being interesting to you.

anon_law23

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    I would say you have higher prospects than you think! King's is a reputable University and to get in for undergraduate is not easy, regardless of the field so applaud yourself for that! Also, I went to an A&O event yesterday and an associate and a current trainee there said that they found the GDL more difficult than they thought it would be so ALSO applaud yourself for getting high merit - I haven't done it but I'm doing the LPC now and find it difficult and most people say the GDL is harder - I can't imagine! The voice inside you telling you that you're an imposter or someone is going to find you out is a liar because YOU put in that work to get yourself where you are. Your academics are strengths where your work experience lacks. You can always do forage experiences, they're free and will give you somewhat of an experience to start off with for now. Your experiences don't have to be higher and mighty (legal or non-legal) - every experience counts, it's mostly how you present the transferable skills. Maybe @Jessica Booker can chip in here too.

I can relate to putting off applications because of fear, I let that control me during my undergraduate because I saw my international background as a disadvantage (that I will most definitely be rejected because how can I possibly succeed more than someone from here who's also applying). Also, the fear was kind of crippling, I remember when I first submitted an open-day application, just submitting it, I told my friend - omg, I didn't die. This cycle is my first proper cycle after all those years and I look back on that with compassion. My body perceived fear that it wanted to protect me from - I'm grateful to my body but I also acknowledge that that fear wasn't necessary - I wasn't in danger, I remind myself that rejection won't kill me and if anything, whatever the rejection is, is not for me. What is for you will come to you, remember that. All you can do is push forward. ☺️

For your imposter syndrome
    - Talk about it more with people
    - List out all your achievements and think about how much effort you had to put into studying to get that grade, what sacrifices you had to make

For you fear
    - Positive thinking and affirmations - you deserve what you seek
    - Remember that regret will hurt more than fear ever will
    - Be patient with yourself
    Finally, honestly, do it scared too, that's my biggest one.

You got this!

thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words @Autotunedbird - it has really lifted my spirits and reassured me! i felt the same way when submitting VS applications nearly three recruitment cycles ago and i think i definitely need to overcome this fear. strangely, i find the LPC harder than the GDL because it is such a different ballpark but don't worry, we can get through it!

hope you have a great day! 👍

Reactions: Autotunedbird
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.