Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker (others please feel free to jump in) I have a question.

If i’ve cleared SQE 1, then am i at any disadvantage in applying for direct TC considering mostly firms have a tie up with their preferred universities for CCP program ?

Also do you think i would have to still do the whole program if stage 1 is already cleared or there is a room for making arrangements to the course ?

any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
You’ll need to speak to each firm about this and it will depend on the nature of the course you did to clear SQE1. For instance, if that is the LPC, you may want to actually do a longer course (stats so far show those who have done the LPC have a lower pass rate on average and the reason many think is because they are not getting SQE1 prep which effectively covers SQE2 content as well).

However, firms will want to save time and money and therefore if there are alternative ways to get you through SQE2, then the firm is likely to consider it, but just weigh it up with the downsides too.

Reactions: limejuice

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
I’ve applied to mostly private client firms. I’m struggling to come up with news stories or trends in the market for them to talk about at interview. There aren’t big deals as often the work for individuals. Does anyone have any tips or anywhere they recommend looking to find topics to talk about at interview? I would be so so grateful as feeling really stuck :)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I’ve applied to mostly private client firms. I’m struggling to come up with news stories or trends in the market for them to talk about at interview. There aren’t big deals as often the work for individuals. Does anyone have any tips or anywhere they recommend looking to find topics to talk about at interview? I would be so so grateful as feeling really stuck :)

Heya - Completely understandable. I’d focus on issues or developments related to immigration, family law, tax and so forth, focussing particularly on how they might affect UHNW individuals or foundations etc. Will DM some recommendations to you :)

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Wouldn't it be good if firms gave feedback such as, actually this wasn't a difficult decision at all; do x, y, z if you want to progress?
I know right. I am still angry at Milbank for straight out refusing to give feedback after we had to travel in 9-5PM for the AC. I was also so exhausted having to travel for it. It's just unprofessional in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.