TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mkt

Esteemed Member
Aug 6, 2023
@Jessica Booker has already shared Jaysen's advice which I think it is pretty useful already. What I can add is something I already shared here which is:
  1. Read the article carefully once without taking any notes. Read it again and once you are done, write down what you remembered about the article. Read it again, and take notes whilst reading. Although it can seem repetitive, it will give you a very good understanding of what you read as well as the key points of the article. I got this advice when I was prepping for my article interview with Gibson Dunn last year and it worked perfectly for me, even though I did not have much time to do it!
  2. Look closely at the question. It does not only say to provide a general overview of the article but also to give key points. So I would divide my answer in a clear and precise, but concise overview; secondly, I would focus on three/four key points that the article highlights that are crucial to the understanding of the topic. I hope these tips will help you craft your answer! Although it is an unconventional question, I think it allows you to showcase your skills compared to other questions that some firms have so definitely give it your all and I am sure it will work out! Good luck with the application!
Thanks this is helpful and love how detailed yopur posts are

Reactions: axelbeugre

e1996

Star Member
Dec 16, 2021
@Jessica Booker If a candidate had mitigating circumstances (i.e. health issues) and therefore they failed 2 of their PGDL exams, and then got a pass (54%) on those two modules on the re-sit attempts, and otherwise has mainly got merits on the other modules that they took, how would magic circle firms/top US firms view this? Would this hinder a candidate's application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker If a candidate had mitigating circumstances (i.e. health issues) and therefore they failed 2 of their PGDL exams, and then got a pass (54%) on those two modules on the re-sit attempts, and otherwise has mainly got merits on the other modules that they took, how would magic circle firms/top US firms view this? Would this hinder a candidate's application?
They will review the mitigating circumstances and will look at the grades both in the PGDL and elsewhere in other academics to make a judgement on whether you can demonstrate what they are looking for.

Just trying to submit my application for Stephenson Harwood and can't seem to submit due to "Error - Please contact your Rare account manager". Not even sure what this means but the deadline is tomorrow and have no idea what to do? Is anyone else having a similar issue? Have tried different browsers and haven't missed anything on the form.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.