TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Should we talk about deals and firm-related issues and what not in applications? For example, I'm writing a cover letter for Wedlake Bell's open day (on the deadline lol so not hopeful) and the prompt is Demonstrate your interest in Wedlake Bell and a career in Law. Is it necessary to talk about the firm's deals for questions like this?

sunshine101

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2022
I got my final interview for Ashurst on Friday if anyone has any advice for that interview would appreciate it a lot and thank you in advance.
Hey, so unfortunately I got a PFO from Ashurst but I did go to an Ashurst in Action event. So you'll have two interviews, one for the WVS and one for the TC after completing the WVS.

Interview 1 for WVS - Competency/behavioural questions and scenarios. Questions like tell us a time etc.

Interview 2 for TC - Commercial case study which tests your analytical ability.

Finally, just be yourself :) - I'm sure you'll be fine !

• Love
Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey, so unfortunately I got a PFO from Ashurst but I did go to an Ashurst in Action event. So you'll have two interviews, one for the WVS and one for the TC after completing the WVS.

Interview 1 for WVS - Competency/behavioural questions and scenarios. Questions like tell us a time etc.

Interview 2 for TC - Commercial case study which tests your analytical ability.

Finally, just be yourself :) - I'm sure you'll be fine !
    Thank you very much for this it is helpful. For the competency interview do you know if they will ask you commercial questions like a news story or a commercial issue. I prepared that question but feel I will be questioned about that issue in more detail.

sunshine101

Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2022
    Thank you very much for this it is helpful. For the competency interview do you know if they will ask you commercial questions like a news story or a commercial issue. I prepared that question but feel I will be questioned about that issue in more detail.

They didn't mention anything like that, however, I would recommend preparing something for it in case it pops up. Prepare for how a news story might effect them or a client.

You can never be too prepared.

Good Luck !

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Should we talk about deals and firm-related issues and what not in applications? For example, I'm writing a cover letter for Wedlake Bell's open day (on the deadline lol so not hopeful) and the prompt is Demonstrate your interest in Wedlake Bell and a career in Law. Is it necessary to talk about the firm's deals for questions like this?
    It isn’t necessary to talk about deals - it really depends on your interests/motivations. For some people that won’t be deals.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.