TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Is it too late to apply to BCLP seeing as ACs have already been given?
The deadline doesn’t close for over a month still; I don’t think there’s any harm in applying, regardless of ACs being sent out. They’d be missing out on a lot of potentially good candidates if they didn’t consider anyone sending an application in now.

Reactions: jplaw1010

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Hi, I've just applied for latham SVS and i was just wanting to check is the test deadline the 13th Dec as it said 3 days after the application deadline for London. I know its a bit pedantic but just wanted to make sure!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Was hoping for some advice surrounding what is classed as a mitigating circumstance. For example, would caring for an elderly relative during your studies count (even if you were not legally registered as a carer)
Not necessarily extenuating circumstances, as these are things that are unexpected/out of your control. However I can understand how caring for a relative could also be unexpected, so if this is the case you need to make this clear in how you describe it.

If it wasn’t unexpected but it still disrupted your studies (eg you couldn’t attend school/college/university) this should be something you highlight as a major commitment that conflicted with your studies though. It might be worthwhile flagging how many hours per week you were actively caring for the relative and also explain the time period it happened as well.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Not necessarily extenuating circumstances, as these are things that are unexpected/out of your control. However I can understand how caring for a relative could also be unexpected, so if this is the case you need to make this clear in how you describe it.

If it wasn’t unexpected but it still disrupted your studies (eg you couldn’t attend school/college/university) this should be something you highlight as a major commitment that conflicted with your studies though. It might be worthwhile flagging how many hours per week you were actively caring for the relative and also explain the time period it happened as well.
Thanks very much for the advice :)

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Does anyone know the answer to this? Would be fairly ridiculous if that is the case tbh.
I'm not 100% sure (and I haven't had a response from them so far) but it does sound like it. I know some people have received test invites, so they've been sent out. Have to say, not even alerting people if they've been unsuccessful when they know the effort/time people put into single applications is pretty bad practice.

Reactions: Petallove1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Submitting a late app to Eversheds, the word count is 500 words, does this just mean I've been given more room to discuss my points? and the questions are all strength based, so is there any need to link to the firm (don't really know how you could with questions about my strenghts). Any thoughts appreciated @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
What are the questions?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.