TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Just completed Fieldfisher's online assessment. These type of assessments are so they can 'know' you as a person and so of course we should answer as sincerely as possible, but I still find myself considering the answers with the thought of 'would this be the answer they want' lol (even though I obviously don't know what answers they want 🥹)

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
If someone is constantly applying to W&C (VS 2023/ TC 2023 and now Spring VS 24) and I reached twice the VI stage. What can I really change in my cover letter to look as a better candidate. In this short time frame, the only change that happened in my life is a vacation scheme in a silver circle firm, and I already mentioned this in my application for the direct TC last year.
Any thoughts or probably I should forget about W&C ?
Thanks.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If someone is constantly applying to W&C (VS 2023/ TC 2023 and now Spring VS 24) and I reached twice the VI stage. What can I really change in my cover letter to look as a better candidate. In this short time frame, the only change that happened in my life is a vacation scheme in a silver circle firm, and I already mentioned this in my application for the direct TC last year.
    Any thoughts or probably I should forget about W&C ?
    Thanks.
    Maybe change the bit about you and add something more recent you have done.

Reactions: Ghassen

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    I am also wondering about the application process for Bird and Bird? It says "This year we are recruiting for trainees to start in September 2026, so please only apply for a vacation scheme if you are able to commence a training contract in September 2026. This means you will be in your penultimate-year of a law degree, final-year of a non-law degree, or a graduate."
    But surely a final year law student would also be able to apply??
    They probably mean that you just need to be just at a minimum in your penultimate-year of a law degree, but I would email GR and ask to be certain!

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Is it okay for me to have the same answer to an application question as last year? The question is 'what is your most ambitious achievement?'
    I was and am really happy with my answer from last year, and can't think of anything better than that. The answer got me through to the vac scheme so I don't want to change it to an answer I don't like as much. However, I am worried that grad rec won't like to see the same answer. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it okay for me to have the same answer to an application question as last year? The question is 'what is your most ambitious achievement?'
    I was and am really happy with my answer from last year, and can't think of anything better than that. The answer got me through to the vac scheme so I don't want to change it to an answer I don't like as much. However, I am worried that grad rec won't like to see the same answer. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!
    You could use the same example but just re-write parts of it so it is presented differently.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.