Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
what kinds of things are we supposed to include in the section "is there anything else you can tell us about yourself to support your application?" should this include extra circulars or only things like awards and scholarships?
This can be anything you would like to include but that hasn’t naturally been able to be presented in other sections, because you haven’t been asked but you think it’s quite vital for your candidacy. This shouldn’t be anything you ran out of space to include, but anything where you haven’t been given the opportunity to present the information.

This could be a whole host of things though:

- Clarification of grading systems
- extenuating circumstances
- explaining any gaps in education or employment
- typical application questions that are not included in this particular application

Reactions: hannah04

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
@Jessica Booker would appreciate your help! 'Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why?'
Would you take this to mean a commercial deal of the firm or just a commercial deal we have seen online?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker would appreciate your help! 'Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why?'
Would you take this to mean a commercial deal of the firm or just a commercial deal we have seen online?
It can be any deal - it doesn't need to be something the firm has worked on. I would just make sure it is a deal of interest to the firm (e.g. if they have a sector focused approach, that the deal is within one of their areas of expertise).

saj2002

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    Does anyone have a list of firms with super short applications that you could feasibly do back to back within a short time-frame? I want to get a bunch out of the way before I tackle the long ones
    Mills & Reeve, Mayer Brown, Simmons. But they all require some form of test. Mills asks no questions, and the latter two ask a very general question along the lines of "Tell us about yourself/your skills and achievements."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How should I tackle the "Tell us about a situation where you made a decision and then changed your mind." potential interview question? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    The key to this question is recognising an instance where changing your mind led to a better outcome. Lawyers need to have the emotional intelligence to realise where their approach to something or decision-making isn't the best route to take and then adapt to ensure a better outcome.

I would take the approach of briefly outlining your original decision-making and why you came to that conclusion. I would then explain the importance of how you changed your mind (e.g. what information/input did you have that helped you change your mind, how did you find this, why did it feel relevant/important in helping you change your mind), and then explain how the change in direction led to a better outcome.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.