TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Ahhh okay, I understand. Thank you for explaining :)

How could I please answer 'What are your hobbies and interests?' and 'Please give brief details of your non-academic activities and interests including positions of responsibility.'? I feel as though they are quite similar and what I had intended to put in one is also what I find repeating for the other. Do you have any tips? :) @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
I think they are quite different as in the first one asks you about your interests outside of any academic or professional commitments like singing, music, reading books etc. The second one asks you about student associations and clubs at university and the skills you have developed from them. I think this is the distinction I would make.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
I’m not sure if I’m overthinking this question ‘Discuss a recent news article related to DAC Beachcroft. If you were tasked to write a follow up article on the same issue, what would you seek to cover’

Does it mean a news article related directly to/about the firm or a news article that I can link to one of their sectors?

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I think they are quite different as in the first one asks you about your interests outside of any academic or professional commitments like singing, music, reading books etc. The second one asks you about student associations and clubs at university and the skills you have developed from them. I think this is the distinction I would make.
    I see, thank you so much. That has really helped :)

Threiawei

Jan 15, 2024
    I looked it up and these are some of the firms that came out: Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, Fried Frank Harris, Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP and Linklaters. I think you can keep it general without necessarily going deeper into the different practice areas.
    Hey Axel, thanks for sharing this.

What criteria would you recommend using to draw comparison between a firm and it's competitors?

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    • Sad
    Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey Axel, thanks for sharing this.

What criteria would you recommend using to draw comparison between a firm and its competitors?
    Apply the criteria you think is most relevant, rather than a standard set of criteria.

This is your opportunity to stand out of the crowd with your answer - there are lots of different ways to determine the answer (which is why they have set the question) - locations, practice areas, client base, sector expertise, revenue, profitability, values, strategy - and many of those are not a linear scale or binary answer, so there are lots of ways they can be interpreted.

The crux of a good answer to this question is you defining what the criteria for the competitors are and then backing that up with evidence.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hey @Jessica Booker,

For Orrick, the questions on the form are: Why have you decided to pursue a career as a commercial lawyer working in an international law firm?

What factors and influences have affected your decision? Why specifically are you interested in training at Orrick? What makes us different to the other firms you have applied for?

I have taken heed of your advice on the Orrick cover letter. As why commercial law and why Orrick are essentially covered by these two questions in the application. However, I am wondering how you would set out a 500-word cover letter on 'why me'. It feels weird to just dive straight into the why me part. Any suggestions would be very, much appreciated!

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
    Jan 24, 2024
    I wouldn’t just mention firms with a location to the one you are applying to - it will need to be a bit more refined than that.

Firstly, work out how you are going to categorise them as competitors - there are many different measures you could use (location being one), but you could look at other factors like client base, sector expertise, practice areas, who they lose talent to (eg have any partners jumped ship either to or from this firm), revenue. Some of those categories can also be defined themselves, one competitor in one practice area might be different to another.

So defining how you have considered who is a competitor creates structure to your answer and makes your analysis clear.

Then select a small number 2-4 firms max that meet the criteria you have set.
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hi. I hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm curious about the time limit for 'recently'. For instance, if an application question says, 'Give a recent example of a goal you have set for yourself', how far back in the past is acceptable?
    Is this for Lewis Silkin? I was thinking the same! I went with one from around a year ago because it was most applicable to the q but not sure if that’s too far back

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.