TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

saj2002

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    Does anyone know what a firm is looking for in questions about challenging experiences (i.e. describe a challenging experience and what you learned from it)?

Could this be mental health-related or does it have to be a 'substantial' challenge, as in something that happened at work or during studies?

Reactions: axelbeugre

cattlawapps324

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2024
    I've got an AC coming up soon and honestly I am super underprepared, genuinely do not know much commercial wise, and don't really have much time to prep due to long hour work commitments, will it look bad on me if I pull out, just in case I re-apply? Or should I just endure the sh*tshow that it will be? Nobody to blame but myself here tbh
    when is it?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How can I perhaps best answer these questions:

1.What will you offer us at ** - why should we hire what you have to offer?
    2. How will you contribute to our business to make the most of the opportunity a TC offers?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
    1. I think that here I would talk about my skills and link them back to my experiences and explain how I developed them and how they would help me become a successful trainee at the firm.
    2. In this answer it is important for you to highlight the sectors and the factors that pushed you to apply to the training contract and how you could use these and contribute to the firm. This could be by joining a seat you are interested in and using your abilities to grow the practice, especially if it is not a big one.
    The questions are quite similar so it is difficult to differentiate the answers. I would try to talk about different skills, experiences and characteristics of the firm and its training contract for each answer.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

affidavid

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2024
    Does anyone know what a firm is looking for in questions about challenging experiences (i.e. describe a challenging experience and what you learned from it)?

Could this be mental health-related or does it have to be a 'substantial' challenge, as in something that happened at work or during studies?
    yh they definitely mean external challenges

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre - do you have any advice / tips on how to prepare for a group presentation AC? for ref, the firm has used some commercial topics previously. any help would massively appreciated, thank you! :)
    Is it a group interview or group presentation?
    I have personally never done one but what I can say is:
    • Work closely with your group to come up with a good structure that you will use for your presentation. Try to listen carefully to everybody's contributions, say what you are thinking but do not talk over people.
    • If you have people who want to desperately be a leader in the group, try to let them and take a step back to the whole process. Instead, try to be the one who includes everyone in the group.
    • Support the group with facts and research to show that you are a team player but you are also very commercially aware. This will allow you to showcase multiple skills and abilities, impressing your markers.
    • Work on your commercial awareness and try to increase it staying up to date with the news until your assessment centre as everything you read might be quite helpful.
    I hope these are helpful and good luck with the assessment!

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    Is it a group interview or group presentation?
    I have personally never done one but what I can say is:
    • Work closely with your group to come up with a good structure that you will use for your presentation. Try to listen carefully to everybody's contributions, say what you are thinking but do not talk over people.
    • If you have people who want to desperately be a leader in the group, try to let them and take a step back to the whole process. Instead, try to be the one who includes everyone in the group.
    • Support the group with facts and research to show that you are a team player but you are also very commercially aware. This will allow you to showcase multiple skills and abilities, impressing your markers.
    • Work on your commercial awareness and try to increase it staying up to date with the news until your assessment centre as everything you read might be quite helpful.
    best Strengths to give as my personal strengths when asked in an interview mate? (don't say teamwork as they will ask that as a separate question)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

Anything that happened in your life that pose a challenge to your life can be talked about here, I personally do not think that law firms look for a particular type of challenge. This is a very personal question so I think the answer should be personal to you too. I talked about rejecting an offer from a university because I did not have the funding to attend since I would have been an international student and how I overcame that. I think that everything that shaped you as the person you are today is valuable experience you would want to talk about.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    best Strengths to give as my personal strengths when asked in an interview mate? (don't say teamwork as they will ask that as a separate question)
    I would mention good listener, detail-oriented, well-organised, considerate of other people's opinions, thoughts and feelings, team player, outgoing, friendly with different people, effective communicator. I think that there are many more but these are some of the ones I am thinking of and I would potentially use.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    I would mention good listener, detail-oriented, well-organised, considerate of other people's opinions, thoughts and feelings, team player, outgoing, friendly with different people, effective communicator. I think that there are many more but these are some of the ones I am thinking of and I would potentially use.
    Thanks mate. Do I mention multiple or just one and develop that with an example?

I was gonna do public speaking for weakness. Would you say that is a good one to pick? Then waffle about how I am looking to improve

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Is it okay to have notes somewhere, maybe sticky notes along the top of the laptop or is there a better way? Just so I remember to hit key points :)
    Nobody will see you so it is helpful if you feel like you need them. I personally did not look at any notes because I feel like they distract me and do not make me sound genuine.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thanks, Axel! Sorry, I have another question about this question! How many sectors should I bring in? I think I have focused too heavily on the first limb of the question and have brought in other reasons why I think the firm would be a good fit for me (whilst also linking to my skills). For example, I have talked about my interests in employment law and the quality of training offered by the firm. I only have one paragraph dedicated to a sector so far. I am now worried I have gone off on a tangent ...
    I think that works, you do not have to mention all their sectors so do not worry. Your interest in employment law is enough in my opinion.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thanks mate. Do I mention multiple or just one and develop that with an example?

I was gonna do public speaking for weakness. Would you say that is a good one to pick? Then waffle about how I am looking to improve
    I think you could mention a couple and develop your answer around them. Public speaking is good if it is something you struggle with and yes I would definitely talk about how you are improving this.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    What websites and resources do you use to research firm deals other than their own website? I find the firm's website gives very little detail, but I'm struggling to research firm deals in any other way
    Using LinkedIn and following partners working at the firm on LinkedIn since sometimes they will share deals they worked on and share details on them too, and they will also repost the client's posts which might be helpful.

Reactions: addy2004 and Ali A

saj2002

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    Anything that happened in your life that pose a challenge to your life can be talked about here, I personally do not think that law firms look for a particular type of challenge. This is a very personal question so I think the answer should be personal to you too. I talked about rejecting an offer from a university because I did not have the funding to attend since I would have been an international student and how I overcame that. I think that everything that shaped you as the person you are today is valuable experience you would want to talk about.
    Thank you!!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre I feel like you probably have some good tips for this :)
    Hey @Petallove1,

In terms of tips, there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre hi axel, I had a rlly quick q, so one of the feedback post AC was in regards to the case study and understanding the role of a trainee in diff departments and I was a bit confused about that, how r u meant to know the specifics of what a trainee does in disputes, or real estate for eg? idk if this is a silly q but it was my first AC and I kind of fumbled out drafting, document review, researching but it wasnt specific enough, so id love to know what advice u can offer for me going forward in my future ACS :) thank you
    Hey @brieflybrilliant,

I totally understand the confusion and I agree that it is difficult to know. What I can suggest is reaching out to people on LinkedIn and in your circle who are lawyers or trainees (working in different departments) at different firms you might be interested in and ask them what their role involves and what they do on a daily. This was one of the few things that really made me understand what lawyers do on a daily basis in different departments.

I hope this is helpful and congratulations for obtaining an assessment centre in your first application cycle. I am sorry for the rejection but the feedback is going to help you so much in your next applications so do not worry about it and be proud of yourself for how far you have come!

Good luck with everything!

Reactions: Jaysen

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    1. I think that here I would talk about my skills and link them back to my experiences and explain how I developed them and how they would help me become a successful trainee at the firm.
    2. In this answer it is important for you to highlight the sectors and the factors that pushed you to apply to the training contract and how you could use these and contribute to the firm. This could be by joining a seat you are interested in and using your abilities to grow the practice, especially if it is not a big one.
    The questions are quite similar so it is difficult to differentiate the answers. I would try to talk about different skills, experiences and characteristics of the firm and its training contract for each answer.
    Thank you! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.