Training contract question help

famay26

Aug 31, 2020
Hi all, just joined TCLA so apologies if im posting in the wrong thread, i really dont know how to use this yet!

I'm applying to a small firm for a TC at the moment. i really know and like the firm and previous work experience there has encouraged me to apply. However, i'm stuck on how to structure the answer to this kind of question:

"How does this firm differ from other firms you've applied to?"

I'm really struggling on how to tackle this question, which is annoying because i have all the information! Anyways, theres a word limit of 250 words so I know i need to be concise. Is it advisable to mostly talk about the firms competitors here or should i rather highlight the way the firm is unique in its market WITHOUT explicitly mentioning how it differs from its competitors?

Any advice is appreciated!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all, just joined TCLA so apologies if im posting in the wrong thread, i really dont know how to use this yet!

I'm applying to a small firm for a TC at the moment. i really know and like the firm and previous work experience there has encouraged me to apply. However, i'm stuck on how to structure the answer to this kind of question:

"How does this firm differ from other firms you've applied to?"

I'm really struggling on how to tackle this question, which is annoying because i have all the information! Anyways, theres a word limit of 250 words so I know i need to be concise. Is it advisable to mostly talk about the firms competitors here or should i rather highlight the way the firm is unique in its market WITHOUT explicitly mentioning how it differs from its competitors?

Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

I would take the question at face value and discuss how the firm is different from the other firms you have applied to. You might then find yourself using phrases like ‘unlike the other firms I have applied to, X firm...’.

I don’t think there’s a need to talk about the firm’s competitors at length.

famay26

Aug 31, 2020
    Welcome to the forum!

I would take the question at face value and discuss how the firm is different from the other firms you have applied to. You might then find yourself using phrases like ‘unlike the other firms I have applied to, X firm...’.

I don’t think there’s a need to talk about the firm’s competitors at length.
    Yeah, I was doubtful myself of talking too much about the firm's competitors, been getting mixed advice all over. Thank you Jaysen! Helped loads.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

GlamB

Dec 6, 2019
    Hi, while I've never encountered the question as a part of a written application, I've been asked it a lot of times in my interviews. I wouldn't talk about competitors directly but, as Jaysen pointed out, you might ultimately find yourself making a few comparisons along the way. Some of the things I talked about in my answers were:
    • the firm's culture - provided you've experienced it for yourself (inevitably even very similarly sized and focused firms will have very different cultures)
    • Structure of the training contract/resources and style of training - some firms offer 8x3 seats and some do 4x6, some may offer more structured classroom-style learning, etc.
    • areas of expertise - say all the firms you are applying to have a strong M&A practice. Is there any other practice area that this particular firm stands out in? Are you interested in it? That can be another reason for ''why this firm''
    • the sort of clients the firm works with
    • things such as legal tech/innovation if relevant
    Hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.