Upcoming 2022 TCs [Success]

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
Jun 18, 2019
Is anyone working on Kirkland and Ellis TC application presently. We could bounce ideas of each other

I was thinking of this but I read somewhere that they rarely ever give out direct TC offers. Cause their intake is so small, they give out most, if not all of their TC spaces, to vac scheme students. So I think it might increase your chances to apply to the vac scheme instead of the straight TC

Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
I was thinking of this but I read somewhere that they rarely ever give out direct TC offers. Cause their intake is so small, they give out most, if not all of their TC spaces, to vac scheme students. So I think it might increase your chances to apply to the vac scheme instead of the straight TC

Great point I read that to but chose to ignore it because they did say most of their TC come from their VS but not all their TCs come from the VS. So I would like to have a shot

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
I was thinking this also as someone said it about Skadden in the same post. I then contacted Skadden to ask about the situation and they said basically the direct TCs all depend on how many people they take from vac schemes. So I don't even think it's a case of looking through direct one and seeing which are good first but more okay well we filled all 12 places from vac schemes so no longer needed to look at direct TC apps?

Has anyone else got any thoughts about that?

But @Charles , I will apply to Kirkland also. Not yet started it though!

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
I was thinking this also as someone said it about Skadden in the same post. I then contacted Skadden to ask about the situation and they said basically the direct TCs all depend on how many people they take from vac schemes. So I don't even think it's a case of looking through direct one and seeing which are good first but more okay well we filled all 12 places from vac schemes so no longer needed to look at direct TC apps?

Has anyone else got any thoughts about that?

But @Charles , I will apply to Kirkland also. Not yet started it though!

Hey being honest I know there's still time to apply for Kirkland but I think I have given up on that venture lol [i may try again but its one of those apps I do not look forward to getting to].

However, in other news I did get an invitation for a Baker online test. I have also applied to White & Case, Withers and Latham. Something has to stick

Sorry this is late and I went MIA but life moves on. Anyone has any good news to share please feel free, or doubts or whatever sharable (let us encourage one another, the training route is not an easy one).

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Travers Smith LLP
Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy:closed
Baker McKenzie LLP: only graduates
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner: They having some management issues and would consider this aspect
Latham & Watkins: do not bother mostly VS
Trowers & Hamlins LLP: direct TC app
Burges Salmon LLP: they accept direct tc app
Clyde & Co LLP: only VS
Gowling: only VS
RPC: also direct TC app
Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP
CMS: Only VS
Jones Day: only VS
Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP: Only VS
Dechert LLP: Only VS
DLA Piper LLP: Only VS
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Reed Smith: Mostly VS
Hogan Lovells: only Birmingham

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Travers Smith LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner: They having some management issues and would consider this aspect

Gosh this is lovely. Thank you very much

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Travers Smith LLP

what’s the source on this?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Travers is also accepting direct tc app but reading TCLA forums they seem to have far too many candidates lined up. Make your time worth and be strategic!!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I mean guys you should really know which firms hire only through vs and those who also offer direct tc app. I understand why firms hire mostly through vs..they invest a lot of money on us so they need to be sure

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
No firm would keep a training contract application open if they weren’t going to hire from it.
Actually it seems like this is the case. While the firms would have a tc application link, somewhere on their website they would actually say that 'they recruit only from their VS or they recruit mostly from their vs'

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
I mean guys you should really know which firms hire only through vs and those who also offer direct tc app. I understand why firms hire mostly through vs..they invest a lot of money on us so they need to be sure
But then I would think that is the reason for the whole assessment process and if they hire only from their Vs then there are quality candidates that would slip through the cracks - people who cannot make their VS

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hello Guys following from last time: I did my Baker online test and I have moved to the next stage - the video interview (anyone that has tips please do share - I need them). If there's anyway we can help one another it would be nice if we took such step. if anyone wants me to read their app or something I am more than happy to do so.

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Completed the VI today
The questions were decent ( I cannot emphasize how key preparation is)

How will politics affect business in the current climate
How do you establish credibility quickly when you enter a new department
A setback that you have experienced and how you dealt with it
How difficult was it when you were a team member and not a team leader how did you deal with it
Tell us something that will describe your personality

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Completed the VI today

How difficult was it when you were a team member and not a team leader how did you deal with it
Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Completed the VI today

Thanks for sharing and good luck!

You're welcome. And thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.