Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Tagging @Ern, as I believe he is in the same position as you.

Aside from the post Nicole made last time, I'm afraid I don't have more on White & Case, but I'll see if I can find a trainee to share some advice.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    From a future trainee: "I didn't get the impression that W&C use a specific format or have a set list of questions. For this reason, I personally think being as authentic as possible and preparing for all sorts of avenues of questions (commercial, firm-specific, personal experiences etc.) are the most useful tips I can provide. In addition, my interview was nearly 3 years ago now so it might not be the most up-to-date advice!"

Reactions: Zoo

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    From another future trainee at White & Case:

"I would just say you have to be yourself and really engage with what you are being asked. I would suggest to ask follow up questions to turn the interview more into a conversation - because as much as the firm is trying to learn about you, you also want to ensure the firm is the right fit for you. Take an interest in the firm’s activities and how recent commercial events might impact the firm. Have a look at the firm’s strategy and why it is choosing to do what it is doing. Basically just ensure you have answers and a way to back them up with evidence - same goes for your personal experience. If it’s a direct TC interview I would suggest to have a very clear answer as to why they have chosen White & Case. Sorry my answer is a bit cliche but really it all comes down to getting to know them as a person as much as possible!"

Reactions: Zoo

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    ...And another future trainee at White & Case:

(White & Case f/t seem to be very helpful!)

"1. Thoroughly re-read your application and CV! Ensure you can talk about everything on there. My interview was based solely off of my CV and they asked about things that I thought were minor. I had expected questions about my legal work experience and I wasn’t asked about it. Instead I was questioned more heavily asked about extra-curricular activities and voluntary experience. It seems to be always what you haven’t prepped that they ask about, so prep everything!

2. Have an excellent understanding of White & Case and the work they do. Don’t be generic - avoid saying things that could apply to all law firms. Avoid characterising White & Case as “an American law firm’, even within the American firms there are a lot of differences. You want to convince them that you want to go there above everywhere else, so be firm specific.

3. Make sure you demonstrate knowledge of the life of a trainee. When it comes to a firm like White & Case I think people tend to talk about wanting to work there because of the “high profile clients” “groundbreaking deals”, and it is definitely important to want that type of work; however, it is equally useful to show that you’re ready and willing to do the hard, often not exciting, late nights that trainees do.

4. Have a few strong questions to ask at the end. They will always ask you if you have any questions, and it’s your last chance to make an impression so definitely don’t say no. If you’re given the names of your interviewers beforehand, research them. Make the questions personal, try and ask something you wouldn’t be able to find out on the website. People definitely have different experiences of the interview. Mine was very informal and friendly, some others had slightly more intimidating experiences, it really does depend on the interviewer you get."

Reactions: Zoo and SP

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.