Why do law firms which don't have an A-level requirement ask for them in applications?

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
So applying for first year schemes and law firms which apparently don't look at A-levels such as Clifford Chance/Macfarlanes - when filling out the application form, they ask for my grades. I thought they don't look at them? I didn't do so well in my A-levels so just afraid of that impacting my application.

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Not having grade requirements doesn't mean that they won't take grades into account. It just means that lower grades won't prevent them from considering you, although the rest of your application will likely need to be very strong. I hope that helps.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
So applying for first year schemes and law firms which apparently don't look at A-levels such as Clifford Chance/Macfarlanes - when filling out the application form, they ask for my grades. I thought they don't look at them? I didn't do so well in my A-levels so just afraid of that impacting my application.
They may not have minimum A-Level requirements but maybe they need you to list your grades as evidence of you having completed them? I suspect what @B A has said may also be true to some extent. Tagging @Jessica Booker for her opinion as well!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone - yes agree with @B A on this one. There is a difference between having a minimum A-level requirement (which could bar your application from even being reviewed) and a having no A-level criteria. The latter does not necessarily mean they don’t consider A-level grades, but that they will still review your form and weigh up your A-level grades alongside other information you have presented.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD and B A

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.