Winter Vacation Scheme 2018 Thread

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
FYI - if anyone's looking for an easy application to write for summer: Weil is nice! Just a combined why commercial law/why Weil and an "anything further?" question.

For Weil, what do you recommend putting in the 'Please note any specific questions you would like answered at interview' and the 'Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application' questions?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For Weil, what do you recommend putting in the 'Please note any specific questions you would like answered at interview' and the 'Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application' questions?

Specific questions: Research the firm and ask genuine questions on stuff that you want to know more about.

Anything further: I've seen a variety of responses here. Some see it as a "why you?" question. In that case, work out your unique selling points and use evidence (extra-curriculars/experience/roles/academics) to justify why you. Others have also talked about their interests in Weil and how they would be a good fit. The question is intentionally broad so you can go either way -- or do both. I'd look at what you haven't covered in the other questions and think about what else you want Weil to know.

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
    Sep 12, 2018
    Specific questions: Research the firm and ask genuine questions on stuff that you want to know more about.

Anything further: I've seen a variety of responses here. Some see it as a "why you?" question. In that case, work out your unique selling points and use evidence (extra-curriculars/experience/roles/academics) to justify why you. Others have also talked about their interests in Weil and how they would be a good fit. The question is intentionally broad so you can go either way -- or do both. I'd look at what you haven't covered in the other questions and think about what else you want Weil to know.

Thanks Jaysen!

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Am similarly still waiting on Shearman! Not too surprised though - according to TCLA's interview experiences, it seems that they're famously late on getting back to applicants! Apparently with short notices for the interview too.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Am similarly still waiting on Shearman! Not too surprised though - according to TCLA's interview experiences, it seems that they're famously late on getting back to applicants! Apparently with short notices for the interview too.

There is someone on another forum who said he met people at an event who had interview invites from Shearman. But there's been little mention of Shearman interview invites anywhere else, so I'm trying not to read too much into it...

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    No don't. It was my first ever interview last winter - my first cycle and they happened to lose my app! How? I called on a Wednesday returning to uni from London after an Open day with another firm and they asked if I could be at their offices on the Friday for interview. I literally got home, slept and took the train back to London the following afternoon for a 9.30 interview on the Friday! It was not the best.

Reactions: Jaysen

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    No don't. It was my first ever interview last winter - my first cycle and they happened to lose my app! How? I called on a Wednesday returning to uni from London after an Open day with another firm and they asked if I could be at their offices on he Friday for interview. I literally got home, slept and took the train back to London the following afternoon for a 9.30 interview on the Friday! It was not the best.

Ouch! Which firm was this? :eek:

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    There is someone on another forum who said he met people at an event who had interview invites from Shearman. But there's been little mention of Shearman interview invites anywhere else, so I'm trying not to read too much into it...
    Can confirm they've started inviting. My friend had one last week Thursday. She said they suggested they were going to continue interviews then make a decision by the end of them all. Not sure how much that helps haha

Reactions: Helena

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Can confirm they've started inviting. My friend had one last week Thursday. She said they suggested they were going to continue interviews then make a decision by the end of them all. Not sure how much that helps haha

I see! I do recall hearing from grad rec at Shearman that they interviewed very few (90 in total, if I recall correctly?) candidates last year - so perhaps silence on the forums isn't that unusual. I hope your friend's interview went well :)

Reactions: Hazal

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    No don't. It was my first ever interview last winter - my first cycle and they happened to lose my app! How? I called on a Wednesday returning to uni from London after an Open day with another firm and they asked if I could be at their offices on the Friday for interview. I literally got home, slept and took the train back to London the following afternoon for a 9.30 interview on the Friday! It was not the best.

How can they lose your app?? It's on a computer right?

Reactions: Abstruser

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    I see! I do recall hearing from grad rec at Shearman that they interviewed very few (90 in total, if I recall correctly?) candidates last year - so perhaps silence on the forums isn't that unusual. I hope your friend's interview went well :)
    Also heard the same facts :) thank you, on her behalf!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Nat well done. I have attended an AC at BCLP - nice firm and their AC is fairly standard. You will know from the email they sent you what the tasks are. Mine were the following: a drafting exercise which was not to technical. Just watch your time and try to complete, looking out for salient points. You then have to discuss this with a partner. A negotiation exercise where you are put with another candidate and you argue your side against another two candidates, bearing in mind you need to listen as well as contribute and you have to concentrate on securing the best outcome for your client. You need to come to a mutual agreement to the benefit of your client, so listen as well as participate. It's team work essentially. You need to be persuasive but not argumentative and be able to voice what you think even when others don't agree. A competency interview with the usual questions - Why Law, Why Commercial Law and why BCLP. Prepare as much as possible for competency because anything could crop up depending on what is on your CV.

Hope this helps but I recommend you check exactly what they have said in the email as to how your day will be as format of ACs can vary.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Nat and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.