Working as an Adviser at Citizens Advice - how to pitch this in applications?

Natasha Dawes

Standard Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone! My name is Natasha and I have just graduated with a distinction in the LPC from The University of Law. However, like many of my peers, I struggled to gain work as a Paralegal due to a lack of experience. Therefore, I pursued volunteering work with Citizens Advice but was fortunate to instead be offered a paid position. My biggest concern is that I hope to go into commercial/corporate law and worry that firms may view my soon to be 6 month duration with Citizens Advice negatively.

For context, my current experience is working with a high street firm in 2016 for roughly 5 weeks and worked in The University of Law's Legal Advice Clinic whilst studying the LPC. On the LPC I tried to choose electives that would suit my preferred path (Banking and Debt Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Public Companies and Law and Business).

I can appreciate that both the Clinic and working with Citizens Advice will give me experience in dealing with clients and file management, but will this set me back in terms of proving my dedication to the type of law I want to pursue?

Thank you for any advice in advance!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi Natasha!

I would state it in terms of - provided experience into X Y Z and developed skills A B C, however whilst a valuable experience this confirmed your interest that you wish to work in a corporate and commercial environment and you look forward to being able to put your client and advocacy skills gained from working at the CAB into action at X firm....or something like that.

It is a really valuable experience and shows that you have considered numerous sides to the law before confirming your decision to become a corporate solicitor.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.