Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can you apply for both winter and summer scheme at the same firm?
It will be highly unlikely for most firms. They will typically say you can only apply once for the same opportunity in either a calendar year or a recruitment cycle (and a vacation scheme is the same opportunity, just across different date).

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    It will be highly unlikely for most firms. They will typically say you can only apply once for the same opportunity in either a calendar year or a recruitment cycle (and a vacation scheme is the same opportunity, just across different date).
    That makes sense if they are considered part of the same recruitment cycle. I am guessing that most firms recruit on a rolling basis for these schemes?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That makes sense if they are considered part of the same recruitment cycle. I am guessing that most firms recruit on a rolling basis for these schemes?
    It does vary unfortunately - some will be on a rolling basis while others, will wait for the deadline and then review applications.

saz a

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jun 29, 2020
    Quick Question- for the vac scheme where they say 'why would you be suited to the role' - Can I refer to my skills as being a good 'trainee' at X firm because of X skills (even though it is for the vac scheme and not TC application?

e1513

Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2021
    I have heard anecdotally that A&O likes people with significant experience to apply direct but nothing from grad rec substantiating that.
    Hey! I completed a summer vac scheme with A&O recently, as well as other programs with the firm. As I had little previous experience, I was recommended by grad rec to pursue the vac scheme route. Others who had significant experience were encouraged to apply direct, as they already had a good foundational understanding of what a career at a top commercial law firm is like.

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Does anyone know if Linklaters' app has a work experience section? I completed the application questionnaire but it didn't ask for my work experience.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Quick Question- for the vac scheme where they say 'why would you be suited to the role' - Can I refer to my skills as being a good 'trainee' at X firm because of X skills (even though it is for the vac scheme and not TC application?
    I think that's fine to say. Ultimately you're applying for the vac scheme with the aim of becoming a trainee (if that is your case), and during the scheme you will be assessed for the training contract too, so yes it makes sense.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Debevoise & Plimpton:
    "The scheme is open to law undergraduates in their penultimate year of study or non-law graduates in their final year. Graduates and post-graduates are also welcome to apply".​

Am I right in interpreting the above to mean that final year law undergraduates are not eligible to apply?

I've been seeing quite a few US firms exclude final year law students in particular from applying. Is there any reason which might motivate this decision?

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    For firms that recruit on a rolling basis for vac schemes and is organising an open day in November, is it worth submit a vac scheme application early just to be ahead of other candidates, or would it be better to try applying for the open day first, and only submit a vac scheme app after attending an open day?

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Debevoise & Plimpton:
    "The scheme is open to law undergraduates in their penultimate year of study or non-law graduates in their final year. Graduates and post-graduates are also welcome to apply".​

Am I right in interpreting the above to mean that final year law undergraduates are not eligible to apply?

I've been seeing quite a few US firms exclude final year law students in particular from applying. Is there any reason which might motivate this decision?
    Any logic I would have as to why they would exclude law finalists would also apply to graduates, so I don't understand the logic.

My only thinking could be that some of the universities have been on the lawyers' cases (*cough* Oxbridge tutors) saying that targeting final-year law students is not good as they can't focus on the final year of their degree.

Let me post it on my LinkedIn and see if I get any bites/explanations from Graduate Recruiters in my network...

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    Hi guys, I have submitted my application for A&O and have not received a link for the test (been more than a hour when application was submitted) - is this normal for other applicants too as I cant even find the link on the application portal

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Hey everyone! First of all - good luck to all of you in the upcoming application cycle! Could anyone provide me with any advice on how to approach the A&O's SJT? Thanks in advance! 😀

Reactions: SolSol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! First of all - good luck to all of you in the upcoming application cycle! Could anyone provide me with any advice on how to approach the A&O's SJT? Thanks in advance! 😀
    Here is some advice on SJTs, more generally, that I have previously provided:

• Love
    Reactions: starman

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    How many days would you reccomend focusing on a single application?
    Depends how much time you have and how effectively you actually focus on just one application (+ complexity of the application questions).

I've spent weeks agonising over applications (I had the time) or done them over two evenings (the only time I had) - have progressed with both approaches.

Rule of thumb I've heard is that a single application should take maybe up to 8h. Mileage may vary but I'd say anecdotally this seems reasonable, you start to have serious diminishing returns past that point.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Inquisitive and SolSol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Depends how much time you have and how effectively you actually focus on just one application (+ complexity of the application questions).

I've spent weeks agonising over applications (I had the time) or done them over two evenings (the only time I had) - have progressed with both approaches.

Rule of thumb I've heard is that a single application should take maybe up to 8h. Mileage may vary but I'd say anecdotally this seems reasonable, you start to have serious diminishing returns past that point.
    I think it also depends where you are in the recruitment cycle (or cycles). I think you definitely learn as you go through the process, and therefore if you are coming into this as your first cycle and your first few applications, it may take longer than if you are at the end of the cycle or already made a good number of previous applications.

Reactions: Rob93

saz a

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jun 29, 2020
    Hey guys- any ideas how to tackle this questions: We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What does success look like for you and where have you seen or experienced this. (250 words max) *- it is slightly different from what they asked last year. Are they asking to define success alone or regarding client services? Also, are they looking for an example of when you have displayed this- there are so many angles you can take this question so I am a little confused. Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.