Norton Rose Fulbright Winter Vac App

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
Hi, I’m applying for 2019 Winter Vac at NRF and am a bit stumped on a few points for their app.

1.) They don’t appear to have an Alevel or UCAS requirement anymore, is this the case;
2.) In the form the only Q this year is a 750 word cover letter. As it is within the form should it be addressed “Dear Sirs...” with a typical introduction or should I just jump in their with “why NRF”.
3.) The only other app Q is “[please provide any additional information in support of your application... e.g any mitigating circumstances]” - shall I take it then that it should only be answered with mit circs or shall I include other supporting info in their such as awards or pro bono work.
Any pointers would be appreciated, it is my first time applying to NRF.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I’m applying for 2019 Winter Vac at NRF and am a bit stumped on a few points for their app.

1.) They don’t appear to have an Alevel or UCAS requirement anymore, is this the case;
2.) In the form the only Q this year is a 750 word cover letter. As it is within the form should it be addressed “Dear Sirs...” with a typical introduction or should I just jump in their with “why NRF”.
3.) The only other app Q is “[please provide any additional information in support of your application... e.g any mitigating circumstances]” - shall I take it then that it should only be answered with mit circs or shall I include other supporting info in their such as awards or pro bono work.

1) still looking for AAB by the looks of it: https://www.nortonrosefulbrightgraduates.com/uk/opportunities/2018-vacation-scheme/

2) if you are going down the “Dear” route then is try to address it to someone rather than Dear Sirs

3) this is not a section to fill in more detail you could to include elsewhere. It is for information that needs to be explained separately, like mitigating circumstances

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
Aug 21, 2018

Was successful in applying to the Spring Vacation Scheme last year so happy to help! Speaking with graduate recruitment regarding the application this year, they have said that typical cover letter structure should be used:
  1. Brief introduction about yourself and that you applying for the Norton Rose Fulbright Vacation Scheme
  2. Paragraph on "Why commercial Law"
  3. Paragraph on "Why Norton Rose Fulbright"
  4. Paragraph on any extra circular activities or broader skills
  5. Conclusion - I typically use "Thank you for reading my application"
Any other questions feel free to let me know! :)

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: M777, JJP, Legal_rawn and 3 others

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
1) still looking for AAB by the looks of it: https://www.nortonrosefulbrightgraduates.com/uk/opportunities/2018-vacation-scheme/

2) if you are going down the “Dear” route then is try to address it to someone rather than Dear Sirs

3) this is not a section to fill in more detail you could to include elsewhere. It is for information that needs to be explained separately, like mitigating circumstances

Thanks Jessica. What’s your view on candidates applying to firms who narrowly miss the A-level criteria. I had this situation with Bakers and made it through despite not having the academics they state on their website but suspect their contextualised recruitment tool helped. It’s hard to tell which firms are firmly prescriptive about A-level criteria.

Last edited:

Zsaurcaks1

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks Jessica. What’s your view on candidates applying to firms who narrowly miss the A-level criteria. I had this situation with Bakers and made it through despite not having the academics they state on their website but suspect their contextualised recruitment tool helped. It’s hard to tell which firms are firmly prescriptive about A-level criteria.

Hey! Thought I’d add that I emailed NRF’s graduate recruitment team to ask this a few weeks ago and it was a pretty firm ‘we do require a minimum of AAB unless there are extenuating circumstances’. It might be worth emailing them to speak about your specific circumstances though. Hope this helps!

Reactions: KLaw125

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

You need to speak to the firm. They typically will make it clear when and how the male exceptions though. Also look for a difference in language “we typically look for” is very different to “to be eligible for the programme” for instance.

• 🏆
Reactions: ComplianceChange

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Hiya, I'm applying to the summer scheme and was just wondering if anyone knew the process? As in which (if any) tests are used? Is there phone/vid interview? also if people know the timeline with NRF? Thanks in advance all!

Also if it helps anyone I have some notes that NRF gave for apps at their open day, so feel free to msg and will send them over :)

Reactions: NLaw18 and Soliha

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
oh i am so relieved because i thought mine had not worked! no email or anything? I also did not fill in any equal opportunities form after test? Thank u!
I had the same issue - after I did my test it just froze and I wasn’t sure if it had submitted properly as there was no more questions or confirmation! But I emailed Pearson and they confirmed that my test had been submitted so I think it’s all good!

Reactions: Elizabeth@1999

Roch1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2018

Hey! At the open day they said you should begin with 'Dear Graduate Recruitment Team'

Reactions: oliverrussell24

Kimrose

Jun 3, 2019
Hi guys, I'm applying for spring vac scheme at NRF and under the Referee section it says "The first referee needs to be academic (undergraduate degree). Please do not provide school or employer referee details". Is the school or employer referee details only referring to Referee 1? I'm a bit confused.

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
Hi guys, I'm applying for spring vac scheme at NRF and under the Referee section it says "The first referee needs to be academic (undergraduate degree). Please do not provide school or employer referee details". Is the school or employer referee details only referring to Referee 1? I'm a bit confused.
I think that I put my undergraduate referee under Referee 1 and my employer reference in Reference 2; didn’t seem to cause any issues! :)

Edit: The disclaimer only seems to apply to the first field I should mention!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

it basically means they are prioritising your university reference. This is the most important bit of info to them. Your second reference can be anyone else.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    What ideas did everyone who applied come up with for how NRF stands out to them? From reading the chambers student guide and the rankings, all I can think of are the firm's broad practice range, global reach and training (but only in the most vague sense). Could really use some ideas if anyone is willing to share.

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
    What ideas did everyone who applied come up with for how NRF stands out to them? From reading the chambers student guide and the rankings, all I can think of are the firm's broad practice range, global reach and training (but only in the most vague sense). Could really use some ideas if anyone is willing to share.

I also struggled with this so in my app I talked about global range and all the obvious things and then I focused in on a specific sector they are particularly strong on and wrote about why that interested me

• Haha
    Reactions: Labeeb Hussain

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.