TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

JLaw56

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2021
I don't have a confirmation either. Nowhere on their website mentioned midday; nor is midday the default time for a deadline. I would be very angry if they decided to push on that.
I contacted the Grad Recruitment and they confirmed that the deadline was 23:59 on Monday. I haven't received mine either but I think we just need to wait for an email.

WhaTdocument

Standard Member
Dec 6, 2023
PFO. and their feedback report highly demonstrates that they are just looking for their stereotype applicant, and their right/standard answer.

If that is the case, why not just put the standard/structure guidance of the answer in the application form... Everyone is so different and the way each one approaches the question can't be the same. Looks like they (and but some other firms) adopt the same stereotype recruitment mind. STAR gonna make a good applicant.... Good to realize this is the way how they evaluate the application process. Better take some exemplar to learn the application... 😇 :)

Reactions: spamelinazoid

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    PFO. and their feedback report highly demonstrates that they are just looking for their stereotype applicant, and their right/standard answer.

If that is the case, why not just put the standard/structure guidance of the answer in the application form... Everyone is so different and the way each one approaches the question can't be the same. Looks like they (and but some other firms) adopt the same stereotype recruitment mind. STAR gonna make a good applicant.... Good to realize this is the way how they evaluate the application process. Better take some exemplar to learn the application... 😇 :)
    I actually dont mind that their PFO email actually has generic feedback. Helps narrow down what specifically to include in future applications.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    The process this year has been incredibly discouraging tbh. Last year i made it past the application stage for 4 firms and to AC with 1 with 0 work experience fresh out of uni. Now, a year later I've been working in a commercial firm in the city as a paralegal (and have loads of exposure and experience with corporate deals and advisory work) and i haven't made it past application stage for any of them.

NGL it feels like Im being penalized for being older/not a student at this point...

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    The process this year has been incredibly discouraging tbh. Last year i made it past the application stage for 4 firms and to AC with 1 with 0 work experience fresh out of uni. Now, a year later I've been working in a commercial firm in the city as a paralegal (and have loads of exposure and experience with corporate deals and advisory work) and i haven't made it past application stage for any of them.

NGL it feels like Im being penalized for being older/not a student at this point...
    You are not alone! I got past app stage last year with poor 1st year grades and very little work experience.

This year with a significant uptick in my grades and a two week work experience with a commercial law firm working with PE and M&A, I am getting rejected left, right, and centre.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    You are not alone! I got past app stage last year with poor 1st year grades and very little work experience.

This year with a significant uptick in my grades and a two week work experience with a commercial law firm working with PE and M&A, I am getting rejected left, right, and centre.
    must just be a tougher cycle this year.

Freshfields is the one that got me. Last year when i got invited to their graduate workshop (after an application!) and past the app stage to their WG i had nothing going for me besides a degree certificate. Didnt even make it past the app stage this year.

Im seeing this happen with loads of other firms. It almost seems tougher than usual this year?

• 🤝
    Reactions: yueyueer

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021

Freshfields is the one that got me. Last year when i got invited to their graduate workshop (after an application!) and past the app stage to their WG i had nothing going for me besides a degree certificate. Didnt even make it past the app stage this year.

Im seeing this happen with loads of other firms. It almost seems tougher than usual this year?
    Same. NGL Freshfields demotivated me really bad.
    I didn’t think my cover letter was so bad that it didn’t warrant a WG. Onwards and upwards 🤝🏻

We just need to keep going forward without letting these things affect us :)

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022

I think there has deffo been an increase in applicants this year, I’m not sure why though (if anyone has any ideas about why, I’d be interested to know)!

At my Mayer Brown AC, they said they had a ‘record-breaking’ number of applications (didn’t say the actual number), and people have said similar about other firms, so I think it is just more difficult this year

Reactions: spamelinazoid

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Has anybody still to hear from McDermott, Will and Emery? I have finally went ahead and e-mailed them because the applications closed in October and still haven't heard back. I just need to know if this is a dead end so I can mark it as 'Rejection' on my handy tracker lol.
    Don't think anyone on here has heard from MWE, might have to make an in-person visit to their office and knock on the door, to see if anyones home........

knock bugs bunny GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.