TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Mar 11, 2024
Does anyone have any experience of scoring badly on amberjack and still getting through to AC? I’m pretty disappointed after my Hill Dickinson assessment. I got:
High: applied intellect
Medium: numerical intellect

I’ve previously got 6977 and I have no idea what I did differently this time but I did find it harder.

Do they take into account the video interview more or less? Very upset as this was my favourite firm :( Does anyone have any advice?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know if Wiggin provides visa sponsorships for trainees?
If you cannot find this information on the website of the firm, I would suggest to email graduate recruitment and ask this question directly. As an international student myself, I think it is really important to get the most accurate information from the law firm itself.

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello. I am a 2023 graduate from a good university who intends to start PGDL either in May or September. I have some experience, working as an intern in a Bank for the past few months, but want to change to Law. Is it worth sending direct TC apps knowing that I have 0 legal experience? I would really appreciate any advice. If anyone could also advise which firms require legal experience and which don't for direct TC apps, so that I don't waste my time. Thanks again.
Law firms do appreciate people with experience in a corporate setting, so your experience in a bank will be very much appreciated. I think that you can start applying to direct training contracts and if something does not come your way, then I would prepare for vacation schemes applications starting in September. The good thing is you would have the knowledge from applying to direct training contracts now and you know what to do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello. I am a 2023 graduate from a good university who intends to start PGDL either in May or September. I have some experience, working as an intern in a Bank for the past few months, but want to change to Law. Is it worth sending direct TC apps knowing that I have 0 legal experience? I would really appreciate any advice. If anyone could also advise which firms require legal experience and which don't for direct TC apps, so that I don't waste my time. Thanks again.
If you have 0 experience, you may want to look to build that up in different ways before applying for TCs.

For instance, you could look out for careers events or do online work experience programmes on the likes of Forage. I would recommend building up as much alternative experience outside of internships to put yourself in the best position. You may also want to wait for some firms and apply for their winter schemes later this year as an alternative. For some firms you may need to wait 12 months before reapplying, and for those firms it may just be worthwhile waiting for their vacation scheme opportunities to come around.

Reactions: axelbeugre

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for Ashurst's Direct TC app:

Q1 Please use this open space to tell us about yourself, you may want to cover why you would like to train as a solicitor, your skills and achievements. (750 words max) *

Q2: Tell us why you are applying to Ashurst and what you know about the firm? (250 words max) *

Is it completely fine to not talk about Ashurst in Q1 at all and only talk about what the question really asks? (and ofcourse save everything Ashurst related for Q2) Thanks in advance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.