TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Th
    Does anyone have any experience of scoring badly on amberjack and still getting through to AC? I’m pretty disappointed after my Hill Dickinson assessment. I got:
    High: applied intellect
    Medium: numerical intellect

I’ve previously got 6977 and I have no idea what I did differently this time but I did find it harder.

Do they take into account the video interview more or less? Very upset as this was my favourite firm :( Does anyone have any advice?
    They will 100% take the VI into consideration. Someone can score 9999 but not be the kind of individual that the firm wants or feel that matches HD. However, someone like yourself can score 4446 and have the traits that HD looks for in trainees. So, definitely don't worry. HD is an amazing firm with fantastic trainees and a wonderful graduate recruitment team. Aside from the score, if you feel as though that you did your best in the VI then that's all you could have done. I have actually seen on a forum on the TCLA that some firms purposely don't pick those with high scores (I'm not sure why) but don't worry. What's meant to be will be :)

• Love
    Reactions: 1349284364

LB24

Esteemed Member
    Sep 26, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, I’ve got to do an oral presentation for a training contract interview, but I’ve only been given the topic that the presentation is on and that it must be no longer than 10 minutes.

Is there some sort of general structure that I should use for this? I haven’t done a presentation for a TC application before so don’t really know where to start

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, I’ve got to do an oral presentation for a training contract interview, but I’ve only been given the topic that the presentation is on and that it must be no longer than 10 minutes.

Is there some sort of general structure that I should use for this? I haven’t done a presentation for a TC application before so don’t really know where to start
    Hi there - there really won't be a set structure as such - this is really up to you to set!

However, I would really focus on the message and audience first rather than the structure. Think of it this way:
    1. What three things do you really want them to remember - they won't remember everything you say, so what are the key takeaways you want your audience to take away.
    2. What is the presentation's purpose (not for the assessment centre, but for your purpose) - are you trying to educate them on a topic? Are you trying to influence them to a way of thinking? Are you trying to convince them to do something/take action?
    Once you have these elements in mind you can create a structure from there that suits the purpose of the above points.

Finally, 10 minutes is not a lot of time. If you are using a slide deck or any written materials, you probably don't want more than 3 slides or a page and a half of written content, as you are likely to go over the 10 minutes if you do create much more than this.

Reactions: axelbeugre and LB24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker if a firm has set A-Level requirements and you don't have the required grades, would the fact you received your A-Level grades during the COVID-19 lockdown when exams were cancelled be taken into consideration?
    If sat in 2020, then yes. Views on grades in 2021 can be a little less lenient.

Reactions: jplaw1010

haydararikci

Jan 14, 2024
    Hey guys I have a question for those who applied for Mayer Brown Direct TC. I applied to Mayer Brown Direc TC in November 2023 but so far I didn't receive any tests for the next stage. Do you know if they review applications after the deadline which is 31.03.2023 or has anyone here so far received a test after they applied for this job?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.