Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker i was wondering if I should mention starting up my own business in my CV work experience section but I’m worried it’s not relevant/ will make my CV 2 pages long in comparison to my other legal-focused work experience. I’d be grateful for any advice on this.
You should definitely include it.

CVs can be two pages long.

You can always put it into a serrated section so you have your legal work experience in one section and your other work experience in another.

Reactions: LawfullyHopeful

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    Has anyone emailed Ashurst about whether there will be more ACs coming out/if applications are still in the process of being reviewed? I am hesitant to because I have already had to contact them about glitches with my test so do not want to be annoying
    Would love to know but may as well just wait and see. They stated that they'll aim to get back to everyone by May 24th. Personally I think PFO is likely :(

VMS

Star Member
    Oct 16, 2023
    Has anyone emailed Ashurst about whether there will be more ACs coming out/if applications are still in the process of being reviewed? I am hesitant to because I have already had to contact them about glitches with my test so do not want to be annoying

I haven't, would be curious to know what they would say though! If you do choose to contact them, please let me know.

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest a good resource to learn more about the current UK economy?
    This is quite an open ended question as the economy is large and disparate.

I would second the FT, it will take a while to start following the major threads of discourse surrounding the economy (most relevant to you will probably be, inflation/interest rates, m&a activity and any competition issues)

If you want to genuinely understand the economy it's good to learn about how central banks work, shadowbanking and eurodollars.

One section of the FT I like is called FT Alphaville, which is very in depth but with a very laidback/humorous approach.

Bank of England website also good but good to get further background knowledge.

It's about the american central bank (the fed) but I'd really recommend The Fed Unbound, it's available as a free audiobook on spotify. A whole lot of what is spoken about is applicable to how the bank of england works/has worked.

Investopedia is also really good for definitions and terms, again more applicable to american but a lot of it means the same stuff.

FT podcasts also good: unhedged, behind the money

Reactions: AS24 and Cherikon

TonyStark

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2024
    Can anyone recommend any resources that would help me understand what a trainee is expected to do in the main departments of a law firm e.g. what are the tasks/what are the main deliverables that are being produced?

AS24

Apr 16, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

I am answering 'Why am I interested in pursuing a legal career in the city?'. Should I mention the kind of work and the international appeal? can I also state that I have established my life here in London?

Additionally, there is another question asking why I would like to participate in B.U.I.L.D @ Shearman. What should I consider when answering why a specific scheme?

Thank you in advance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.