2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyV

Standard Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone who completed the TW game based assessment got a feedback report/confirmation email after? I did the similar one for Gowling and PwC and I got it for both but not TW so was a bit worried. Thanks in advance:)

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone who completed the TW game based assessment got a feedback report/confirmation email after? I did the similar one for Gowling and PwC and I got it for both but not TW so was a bit worried. Thanks in advance:)

I got one almost straight after, that’s unusual! Check your spam maybe?

legalCheek27

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Currently preparing my answer for Reed Smith’s research question: “What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What impact do they have and why?”

Can anyone point me in the direction of any non-generic issues (i.e I’m aiming to veer away from standard, vague headline issues like AI or Covid-19). Looking for something current and less widely discussed, but still broad enough to affect the legal profession/ commercial solicitors as a whole

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Would it be possible to switch your remaining Summer Vac applications to be considered for Spring instead, if you manage to secure an offer for summer from one firm? How do I go about this?

I would personally wait to hear back from firms on AC invites or offers before you ask to transfer applications. That was my approach when I had offers that clashed. Think it definitely depends on the firm though.

Reactions: Deleted member 8599

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

I got mine a few hours after - don't know why it was later than others!

Reactions: MollyV

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    3. Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

In this question, can you make reference to development through work experience/current role? Or would it not work because the question says 'hobbies and interests'?

I think you can most definitely reference your work experience, although personally I would stick to mentioning things that they don't already know about from other parts of your application. I just think it gives you more of a chance to show them the range of things you've done/been involved in.

Reactions: NikkiT

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Hey guys I literally just got a telephone interview for skadden so they are sending them out in batches! applied 12th October, good luck everyone
    I also just received mine! They sent it around 11 am UK time. One thing to note is that I applied on the 23rd of December so our theory of reverse application order, unfortunately, seems unlikely :)

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    May 28, 2020
    Hi! I completed an AC for Burges' winter vac scheme. The following advice is for you and anyone else who got accepted onto the AC (I see a few people who said they were accepted on this thread earlier!)

So my AC was over two days and involved a written exercise, a WG test and a 45 minute partner interview.

Best way to prepare for the written exercise is to practice as many commercial case studies you find online. I found the TCLA practice ones super super helpful. The one they give you shouldn't stray too far from all the practice ones available online. The key is to present it well later on. Make sure your commercial awareness is up to scratch and bring in lots of real life examples to enhance your answer by backing your reasoning. Be prepared for any follow up questions. Also say something other than what you wrote on the exercise.

The interview is great, the interviewers I had were super friendly. Standard questions - why law, why you, why Burges and a few competency based ones. Tip: make sure you have researched Burges, their deals and their practices inside out. Also make sure you have prepared a few questions yourself to ask.

As for the WG test, constant practice is the only way!

Best of luck :)

I've noticed that on this AC, there is an interview with a lawyer and an interview with a partner on another day. Is this presenting the case study to the lawyer? Thank you so much for your help!

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Anyone know how to save your application on the Willkie app portal and come back to it later?

Unfortunately you can’t do that. Instead, I kept the webpage with the application open at all times, even when I wasn’t working on it. You can come back to it days later and your information will be saved. As long as you didn’t shut your computer down of course

Tavistocksfinest

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2020
    I imagine this has probably been answered at some point on this thread, but I am considering how to answer "What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?" Should I relate this back to my own skills, or is it a more impersonal question asking about my understanding of a lawyer's role?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.