2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA99

Forum Winner
Jan 26, 2021
Did you not do the tests already? How weird. I've heard that in normal times they do the test on the day at the AC. So I wonder what they're going for here.
Yeah the test is scheduled for the day, but on their Open Day they seemed to say that it would be application form, 'mental agility' test and then an AC if you were successful in that

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Also had Trowers' Mental Agility Test sent to me today.

I think the process of whether the test is sent to candidates before being invited to an AC, or if it is set during the AC, may depend on the office you applied to – however, I may be wrong and it may be based on the the strength of the application form submitted. Has anyone been invited to the London office AC prior to taking the test?

Reactions: Alisha S

ellens

Feb 24, 2021
for those who got this email, have you heard back?
Got this email from Cooley:

"Thank you again for your application to Cooley (UK) LLP. While we had hoped to be in touch with all applicants yesterday, we are still continuing to consider a number of applications and appreciate your patience as we do this.

We anticipate this process to be fully complete in the next few days and will contact all candidates by Wednesday 3 March at the very latest.

Thank you again for your interest in Cooley."

*chills in the maybe cooley-san-fran-beach-life pile*

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Also had Trowers' Mental Agility Test sent to me today.

I think the process of whether the test is sent to candidates before being invited to an AC, or if it is set during the AC, may depend on the office you applied to – however, I may be wrong and it may be based on the the strength of the application form submitted. Has anyone been invited to the London office AC prior to taking the test?

This sounds like it might be it -> I applied to London and received the McQuaig first. Maybe they are just doing it because it is likely to get a proportionally greater number of applicants and they need an extra level of filtering>?

ZR1998

Aug 10, 2020
    This sounds like it might be it -> I applied to London and received the McQuaig first. Maybe they are just doing it because it is likely to get a proportionally greater number of applicants and they need an extra level of filtering>?
    I applied to the London office and got the McQuaig sent to me today as well so I think you're right

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hello guys.

I hope everyone is well.

I am sorry for asking this today as I know it is a Saturday and everyone is enjoying their weekend.

I am doing this application question and need help.

Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others - describe the situation and your contribution?

Can someone please help me if possible thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello guys.

I hope everyone is well.

I am sorry for asking this today as I know it is a Saturday and everyone is enjoying their weekend.

I am doing this application question and need help.

Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others - describe the situation and your contribution?

Can someone please help me if possible thank you in advance.
    To me there are two ways you could take this.

Repaonsbility for a team which suggests more a leadership, coach or coordinator type role.

Or it could be responsibility for clients/customers, so any client/customer facing role.

I am sure there are other examples I can’t think of right now too.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    To me there are two ways you could take this.

Repaonsbility for a team which suggests more a leadership, coach or coordinator type role.

Or it could be responsibility for clients/customers, so any client/customer facing role.

I am sure there are other examples I can’t think of right now too.
    Hello Jessica,

Thank you for this. This is really helpful.

Anyone else just feeling hopeless. I’m a first class law student from a top Russell group university and my entire life I’ve tried so hard to do well and I just keep getting rejections. All my friends seem to know what they are doing next year and I’m stumped. I feel like I’m simply unemployable.
    Hey, I know many others have replied to your post - but I just wanted to say I really do empathise, and I am terribly sorry.

I know everyone's situation and feelings are unique; however, I think everyone who has struggled in this process has a mutual recognition of some of the mental and physical pressures had by all.

I was lucky enough that when I began applying in my second year, I did not really understand what (regarding the application process) I was getting into. Nevertheless, I had some success, and then the gravity of the situation came crashing down. My vacation schemes were postponed or changed due to coronavirus, and I ended up being rejected from a firm post-'vacation scheme' (it wasn't really a vacation scheme, more like a series of presentations and then a 30-minute interview) in June 2020.

Afterwards, I was unbelievably panicked and lost a lot of self-confidence. I was terrified of graduating without a training contract, and sadly my mind spiralled down and out of control. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, I was deadly serious: one evening, I was so down and so worried that I began to research joining the military post-graduation. The tragic thing at the time was I realised, for certain reasons, I might not be eligible (I thought that no one, not even the army, would want me). Now, I can laugh about that because, thankfully, I am not in that mindset anymore, and one glance at me, and my lifestyle, would indicate my substantial lack of suitability for a barracks.

Nonetheless, I really do empathise with your position. I have been called a 'classic overachiever' and someone who would 'probably get a training contract'. Yet, when you haven't crossed the finishing line, those phrases feel like burdens, and it really makes you question your own ability.

Now, I grant this might be unwarranted, but if you or anyone else would like advice, I'll try and summarise it:
    1. This process can be brutal. Many individuals, especially ones from older intakes, will mock others for struggling to garner training contracts. Sadly, the playing field has changed; it is harder to compete with the increased competition and the more rigorous assessment process. Hence, you are not alone in your struggle - everyone out there is suffering in one form or another. I know that provides little solace, but at the very least, the majority out there can empathise with your position.

2. You are not unemployable. You have a first-class degree in one of the most prestigious subjects from one of the UK's most prestigious universities. I don't know what other experience you have, but you have a great foundation for employability. Although you might not be able to leapfrog straight into a TC, please keep going; your degree and the skills you have garnered from it will stand you in great stead.

3. Rejections are inevitable. I have received, over two application cycles, approximately 30-40 rejections. They do not define your ability: I have been rejected from midmarket firms, only to then get training contract offers at Silver Circle and Magic Circle firms (yet, at the time of rejection, I felt I had nothing). Unfortunately, to cross the Rubicon, the struggle begins before you get to its banks - but that does not mean that you will never reach and cross it.

4. Plan and set out a roadmap. Know what you want, and set out the steps to achieving that. It might be longer than you would have liked - but if you are set on a goal, then any step forward, no matter how small, is a positive one. Additionally, make sure that when you experience a setback, you take on as much feedback as you can - a growth mindset is fundamental to stay motivated and to progress.

5. Don't compare yourself to others. The people around you, including me, have had and will continue to have different journeys than yourself. Definitely take sound advice, and accept constructive feedback from those who are authorised to give it. However, please do not feel like you have to emulate them or see them as an archetype of a successful individual.
    Okay, I got carried away - but this topic is something that really resonates with me!

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any more questions (an open invitation) on this, or any other topic, in the MC Trainee thread!

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021
    Have seen others say that their WBD pymetrics report doesn't really reflect their personality - (out of pure interest) for people that have completed the WBD pymetrics test what were your "most unique" attributes? Mine were 1. Fairness 2. Focus and 3. Emotion and I feel like this is similar to results I have gotten in other personality type tests!
    Mine were 1. Learning 2. Focus 3. Emotion.

And I would absolutely recommend taking it on a smartphone.

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.