Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker out of interest - when applying should we be putting all of our work experiences or is it better to be selective? For example I’ve worked in a number of hospitality roles, where I’ve developed similar skills, should I only be putting the most recent?
It’s completely up to you. The most recent may not be the most interesting/important though. If you balanced one that was longer hours with studies or you had a greater level of responsibilities in an older one, then that might be the one you selected if you were to cut some out

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi guys s
Hiya!

I always think it’s best to choose seats that you are genuinely interested in (e.g. because of the industry focus, type of clients, activity type etc, previous use of transferable skills or just plain curiosity I would never advise choosing a seat simply because it’s the main one or you feel you have to choose it simply because I think it’s important to be authentic and true to yourself and your interests throughout the vs process.

At the same time, I think it’s quite good to be open minded regarding the category of the seat e.g. contentious vs transactional vs advisory. I think it’s always good to pick at least one seat from each category as this will give you a wider insight into trainee tasks and commercial law more generally.

Also remember, you can always learn more and engage with other practice areas during your vac scheme by arranging virtual coffees and chats so don’t feel limited!

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️
Hi, Thank you so much for this!!

This may be a silly question but could you please elaborate which seats/ practise areas are typically advisory vs contentious vs transactional?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone knows where I can find secondment opportunities for a firm (NRF specifically)? Also, are international secondments set for a specific seat or do you get to chose the seat as well as the office?

@Jessica Booker
I’d read the Chambers Student Guide profiles for the firms secondment opportunities. Obviously that could change though by the time you are hired and go through a TC though, so I’d only take any list/details as an indication rather than actual likelihood.

Secondment opportunities are usually by department too. Sometimes they will be “generalist” seats though - you could be working across departments just where the office may not be that big of because that’s how it works on that secondment.

The likelihood if it is department specific, it will be a in a core department relevant to that office.

Reactions: Dwight

RSta

M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2019
Hi, does anyone know how long it takes for Dechert to get back after the AC for vac schemes? The Grad Rec said they would not drag for more than one week, but I haven't heard anything tho...

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I’ve got an assessment centre with Osborne Clarke coming up and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a care package from them today with a good luck note, high protein snacks and teas and coffees! I thought it was a really nice gesture and haven’t had this sort of experience with other firms.
I hope this is a new trend 😂That is so lovely! 😍 Good luck for the interview :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.