Are my application examples too old?

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (so sorry if it has!)
    I was wondering if my examples for application questions were too old.
    For example, I was trying to show teamwork and I thought about using DofE, but I did this back in 2016.
    I did think of an example involving some teamwork for my criminal law module in my first year of uni, but I was told by someone that it doesn't set me apart and was too old.

I am quite stuck on an example for this and now I am worried that my other examples may be too old too!
    Does anyone have any examples, as maybe I am missing something?

hktr

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 10, 2019
    For example, I was trying to show teamwork and I thought about using DofE, but I did this back in 2016.
    I did think of an example involving some teamwork for my criminal law module in my first year of uni, but I was told by someone that it doesn't set me apart and was too old.

I am quite stuck on an example for this and now I am worried that my other examples may be too old too!

4 years ago seems kind of borderline to me. Ideally, you should use more recent examples.

I would query whether your examples need to "set you apart" though. The point of these questions is to allow you to fully demonstrate the competency (the STAR technique is always helpful). You example does not have to be particularly novel or interesting.

However, that person might have meant that you should choose something from outside your academic work, which I agree with. You want to show that you are a well-rounded individual that can succeed beyond academia. Therefore, examples from extra-curricular activities/volunteering/work experience would be better.

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I’d try to use more modern examples where you can.

the DoE example is probably as over used as a team assignment in a module to be honest.

It doesn’t need to be from academia though - could be a part time job, a volunteer project, extra curriculars, even something you have organised with friends.

Last edited:

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    4 years ago seems kind of borderline to me. Ideally, you should use more recent examples.

I would query whether your examples need to "set you apart" though. The point of these questions is to allow you to fully demonstrate the competency (the STAR technique is always helpful). You example does not have to be particularly novel or interesting.

However, that person might have meant that you should choose something from outside your academic work, which I agree with. You want to show that you are a well-rounded individual that can succeed beyond academia. Therefore, examples from extra-curricular activities/volunteering/work experience would be better.

yeah I'm racking my brain trying to think of more relevant recent examples :( but I understand that it doesn't have to be completely outstanding - like climbing Everest ;)

I’d try to use more modern examples where you can.

the DoE example is probably as over used as a team assignment in a module to be honest.

It doesn’t need to be from academia though - could be a part time job, a volunteer project, extra curriculars, even something you have organised with friends.

so can I use holiday/travel planning as an example? I spent the last year in China on a year abroad and I went on multiple trips, during which I ended up doing the most planning - do you think this would be an ok example?

thanks for both your replies!

hktr

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Potentially - as long as you can showcase you worked effectively in a team with this example.

Think about the qualities of good teamwork. Planning and organisational skills do come into play. As does flexibility, responsibility, problem-solving and, arguably most importantly, excellent communication skills.

Your example doesn't have to cover all these aspects (and indeed there are plenty of other relevant qualities), but this may be a good guide as to whether it would work well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    yeah I'm racking my brain trying to think of more relevant recent examples :( but I understand that it doesn't have to be completely outstanding - like climbing Everest ;)

so can I use holiday/travel planning as an example? I spent the last year in China on a year abroad and I went on multiple trips, during which I ended up doing the most planning - do you think this would be an ok example?

thanks for both your replies!

possibly - but “doing most of the planning“ doesn’t actually sound like team work to me.

No part time jobs/volunteer work/extra curriculars?

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    possibly - but “doing most of the planning“ doesn’t actually sound like team work to me.

No part time jobs/volunteer work/extra curriculars?

I had two part time jobs but neither were during uni and I also volunteered prior to attending uni - I have extenuating circumstances, which is why I could not involve myself in as many extra curricular activities I wanted to.

I am, however, the Vice President for a society next year and last year I did speak at a conference and I also worked on a case at my uni's law clinic - do you think these could be good examples?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had two part time jobs but neither were during uni and I also volunteered prior to attending uni - I have extenuating circumstances, which is why I could not involve myself in as many extra curricular activities I wanted to.

I am, however, the Vice President for a society next year and last year I did speak at a conference and I also worked on a case at my uni's law clinic - do you think these could be good examples?

Any of these could be good examples and potentially more unique/more recent/more interesting than the DoE example.

it isn’t really the “title” of the example as such, it is more about how you explain it and whether it is truly an example that tested your team working skills (rather than example that on the face of it sounds good).

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.