Debevoise & Plimpton (20/21)

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Thought I'd create a Debevoise thread as I've seen a few posts here and there regarding the application.

Is anyone else stuck on: Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why? (300 words)

I was looking at the Gymshark IPO which I find interesting. I don't think I'd be able to write 300 words there though. Not sure if anyone is having any issues with this question?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Thought I'd create a Debevoise thread as I've seen a few posts here and there regarding the application.

Is anyone else stuck on: Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why? (300 words)

I was looking at the Gymshark IPO which I find interesting. I don't think I'd be able to write 300 words there though. Not sure if anyone is having any issues with this question?

If you're struggling to write 300 words, my question would be whether you're sure this is the topic you want to write about? While it's not absolutely necessary to max the word count, I'd want to be choosing a topic where you have plenty to talk about.

It may also be the case that it's little trickier to argue a 'side' when it's an IPO.

Reactions: James Kitching

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
    Oct 26, 2019
    I think you should find a topic which takes your interest and clearly involves two parties, there are quite a few high profile recent M&A deals which went bad due to the pandemic and they would make for good discussion. A good example is LVMH-Tiffany, with many talking points including force majeures which were/are very relevant.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    If you're struggling to write 300 words, my question would be whether you're sure this is the topic you want to write about? While it's not absolutely necessary to max the word count, I'd want to be choosing a topic where you have plenty to talk about.

It may also be the case that it's little trickier to argue a 'side' when it's an IPO.

Thanks Jaysen! I agree but I'm just not sure on what I should be writing?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    I think you should find a topic which takes your interest and clearly involves two parties, there are quite a few high profile recent M&A deals which went bad due to the pandemic and they would make for good discussion. A good example is LVMH-Tiffany, with many talking points including force majeures which were/are very relevant.

Thanks James! This is super helpful :D

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    There isn't a right or wrong here - are there any stories which have captured your interest? I know someone who has written really well on a sporting story in the past for example - don't be afraid to be a bit unique!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

As James said, you may find it easier to choose a deal where there are two clearly defined sides. I think choosing an IPO for this question would be a little tricky in this case!

Sophieb67

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Hey everyone

When the question asks which side you would want to represent, should the answer be technical i.e. because of the type of work on buy or sell side or a personal preference thing like which company you find most interesting/would rather work with? Not sure how to approach this part of the question.

Thanks so much!! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey everyone

When the question asks which side you would want to represent, should the answer be technical i.e. because of the type of work on buy or sell side or a personal preference thing like which company you find most interesting/would rather work with? Not sure how to approach this part of the question.

I think you can discuss the technical side if this is true and would inform your decision but try not to overthink it - they just want to hear your justification either way.

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    Hey everyone

Just to give you an example of what they're looking for, I wrote this for the same question in 2018 and reached the AC stage. it's quite out-dated now though and I'd make a fair few changes, but hindsight is 20/20. Best of luck.

"I have been following the potential £7.3 billion merger between Sainsbury's and Asda since it was leaked to the press. Additionally, the deal involves Asda's parent company Walmart who will retain a stake in the new company. Five different law firms are providing advice on multiple legal areas.

Sainsbury’s will pay £2.975bn to Asda's parent company Walmart. They will then issue 1.6 billion new shares so Walmart has a 42% stake in the new company; Furthermore, Walmart has written off Asda’s debts and pension obligations at a cost of £2 billion. The new company will have the largest market share of any UK supermarket, and effectively have a duopoly. The main driving force is greater buying power, given 85% of their products come from the same 100 manufacturers. Sainsbury's successfully appealed for an eleven day extension yesterday so their competition lawyers could provide more evidence to the CMA. On current estimates the merger may require the closure of 423 stores to allay competition concerns.

I have been particularly interested by the Competition and Market's Authority (CMA) views on whether a commercial merger can occur, the impact this has had on share prices (Sainsbury's have fallen by a fifth since it was announced) and how Amazon are now considering this as an opportunity to enter the physical grocery market in place of the closed stores.

Despite the potential benefit for all three parties, I would be most interested in representing Asda as it is the smallest and could be consumed by the interests of the two larger companies. This would be so I could see the inter-play between Walmart and Asda's concerns; they both have separate legal counsel and I would see if any friction occurred between the two companies despite their mutual ties."

• ℹ️
    Reactions: TM and SLKEJRWOI97

steana12

Mar 8, 2021
    Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well and that you all hopefully got good news from the firm! I am just wondering if any of you know whether Debevoise hires their trainees after everyone has done their vac schemes or after all three are over? Does that mean attending their last vacation scheme puts you at a disadvantage for getting a TC? Thank you so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.