Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Daniel, I went for it, despite the deadline being today and passed the SJT, the waiting game begins now ☺️

P.s. did anyone else really enjoy the virtual SJT test for A&O? Loved every second of it, it felt like I was really there, there.

I never had this when applying -- what's the virtual SJT?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    They have just introduced it this year Jaysen,that’s why!

It is basically a normal SJT but an immersive video based SJT, with real Iife situations you may face as a trainee.

Very interesting, how did you feel about the questions?

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I really don’t get HSF. They’ve sent out rejections and AC invites andddd kept people on hold/under review. Don’t understand the HR strategy. Especially as winter VS dates approach. Are others just maybes after the first set of ACs take place to cover any potential conversion failure rate from the AC?????

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I really don’t get HSF. They’ve sent out rejections and AC invites andddd kept people on hold/under review. Don’t understand the HR strategy. Especially as winter VS dates approach. Are others just maybes after the first set of ACs take place to cover any potential conversion failure rate from the AC?????
    Quite probably although you would think they can only hold ACs up until mid November?

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks Daniel, I went for it, despite the deadline being today and passed the SJT, the waiting game begins now ☺️

P.s. did anyone else really enjoy the virtual SJT test for A&O? Loved every second of it, it felt like I was really there, there.
    I agree! It is so much better than just reading information

Reactions: Salma

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Heard back from Macfarlanes today (2/11/18) for a summer vacation scheme and I have been invited to an AC in early January. I applied on 19/10/18 so they were pretty quick getting back to me. Haven't heard back from any of the other firms (that use rolling recruitment) I have applied to just yet.

Reactions: Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys, has anyone done the A&O interview before? Would love tips on the case study in particular as I heard it's quite technical. Thanks so much!

The case study may have recently changed but if not:
    • You'll be given 30 mins to read a sizeable document. Try to find an effective way of flagging up the most important info.
    • Review balance sheets and mergers/M&A.
    • Spend time thinking about how best to structure your presentation.
    • Have a clear conclusion.
    • Review important terms of an acquisition.
    • For the Q&A after the interview, take your time and don't be afraid to ask for a moment to read a small section of the case study before your answer. Do your best to try to defend your points (unless you know you are wrong).
    For the scenario section, I presume this means trainee scenarios although I may be wrong. My advice for these questions:
    • Don’t give an answer to impress. Think about what you would actually do in this situation (perhaps as your best self). You should still be genuine.
    • Remember, as a trainee, it is far better to get help than to try tackle a big problem by yourself.
    • Think about all the possible options you can take to meet a possible objective. For example, if the question is about organisation and time management: to-do lists, calendars, prioritising work and managing expectations.
    A question could be: Imagine that you’ve made plans to meet a close friend, one that you rarely see. On your way out the office, you notice that the trainee solicitor in your department is flooded with work. It’s likely that she’ll be working all night. Do you do anything before you leave? Or, imagine you are completing a piece of work for a partner but you are falling behind schedule. It’s not an urgent piece of work but you promised that you’d submit it before the end of the day. You don’t think you’ll finish it on time. What do you do?

For the rest of the interview, make sure you know why A&O and why commercial law. Review your application and prepare to be challenged on anything you've said. Practice as many competency questions as you can.

Just FYI: we're be running through a mock A&O case study on Sunday/Monday in our commercial class.

ivannai

Standard Member
    Oct 31, 2018
    The case study may have recently changed but if not:
    • You'll be given 30 mins to read a sizeable document. Try to find an effective way of flagging up the most important info.
    • Review balance sheets and mergers/M&A.
    • Spend time thinking about how best to structure your presentation.
    • Have a clear conclusion.
    • Review important terms of an acquisition.
    • For the Q&A after the interview, take your time and don't be afraid to ask for a moment to read a small section of the case study before your answer. Do your best to try to defend your points (unless you know you are wrong).
    For the scenario section, I presume this means trainee scenarios although I may be wrong. My advice for these questions:
    • Don’t give an answer to impress. Think about what you would actually do in this situation (perhaps as your best self). You should still be genuine.
    • Remember, as a trainee, it is far better to get help than to try tackle a big problem by yourself.
    • Think about all the possible options you can take to meet a possible objective. For example, if the question is about organisation and time management: to-do lists, calendars, prioritising work and managing expectations.
    A question could be: Imagine that you’ve made plans to meet a close friend, one that you rarely see. On your way out the office, you notice that the trainee solicitor in your department is flooded with work. It’s likely that she’ll be working all night. Do you do anything before you leave? Or, imagine you are completing a piece of work for a partner but you are falling behind schedule. It’s not an urgent piece of work but you promised that you’d submit it before the end of the day. You don’t think you’ll finish it on time. What do you do?

For the rest of the interview, make sure you know why A&O and why commercial law. Review your application and prepare to be challenged on anything you've said. Practice as many competency questions as you can.

Just FYI: we're be running through a mock A&O case study on Sunday/Monday in our commercial class.

Thank you Jaysen! Would be interested in the commercial class over the weekend - is this online or how do we join? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, first time using this forum haha)

Also would like to know what is your impression of what A&O looks for in their people?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you Jaysen! Would be interested in the commercial class over the weekend - is this online or how do we join? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, first time using this forum haha)

Also would like to know what is your impression of what A&O looks for in their people?

No problem, more details are here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/commercial-class-7-m-a-case-studies.743/. It's an online class and you'll be invited to the discussion group to allocate times etc.

Honestly, too difficult to say. I've seen such a diverse range of people secure training contracts at A&O. If you've secured an interview, you're well on your way. The rest is down to how much you practice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.