Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Possibly too late a response to be of any use, but last year I attended an AC at HSF and was informed by grad rec that there is no limit to the number of ACs they hold - they continue interviewing candidates until they fill up spots, so they can afford to be picky. I was interviewed in mid-Nov for a spring VS, but there was a candidate in my group interviewing for a winter VS (which she eventually secured). Hope that helps!

Ahh that makes sens, as they only ‘open’ spring vac scheme apps on the 12th Nov!

Giles

Standard Member
TCLA Writer
Sep 4, 2018
Yes I completed it two weeks, on the top of my head, the VI consisted of five questions:

1. Tell me about yourself
2. A favourite business you admire and talk about why you admire it, the opportunities and risks for the business
3. A question relating to ambition or colleagity and how you have demonstrated it l/the importance of it
4. A question relating to challenge/ how do you challenge people and would you feel comfortable doing so?
5. Why are you interested in law and what will you be doing as a trainee solicitor day to day

You have 30 secs to prepare and 1 minute, 30 seconds to answer the question

I hope the above helps somehow! Good luck.

Amazing thank you so much!

Reactions: Salma

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Can anyone offer some guidance on the HSF AC? I’ve seen a few people interviewed there.

Has anyone received an offer?

P.s, the person in question passed the online tests 27/10/18 and received an AC invite on 6/11/18.

Thank you in advance.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
It's tough, competency interview, case study and scenario interview with partner - there is no way you can prepare for the scenario as it depends which partner you get. I would say look carefully at the firm's main practice areas and think about deals in those areas and what the firm might be doing. You could get anything thrown at you. They were all very friendly but it was tough. Also brush up on contract.

Can anyone offer some guidance on the HSF AC? I’ve seen a few people interviewed there.

P.s, the person in question passed the online tests 27/10/18 and received an AC invite on 6/11/18.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Jaysen

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you, very helpful. Have you heard back post AC or do you still await the outcome?

It's tough, competency interview, case study and scenario interview with partner - there is no way you can prepare for the scenario as it depends which partner you get. I would say look carefully at the firm's main practice areas and think about deals in those areas and what the firm might be doing. You could get anything thrown at you. They were all very friendly but it was tough. Also brush up on contract.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018

Thank you in advance.

Thank you in advance.
hey Sandrou, completed mine today actually!

I agree with Helena in that it's tougher than most but there are things to prepare for/keep in mind when going into it.

So for the scenario interview you will need to have some general commercial knowledge. How a business works, how banks lend money, all the basic financial terms you hear thrown about. I prepared for this by reading Christopher Stoakes' Commercial Awareness and signing up for one of Jaysen's commercial classes, specifically the M&A one. While m&a didn't come up, banks and loans did. I recommend signing up to his possible upcoming class on debt and equity if this stuff is confusing. Personally, I didn't find knowing their sectors well a requirement but maybe that's because I got a partner in banking and not something niche like energy.

For the case study, a good presentation structure and a really close attention to detail is important. What I mean by the latter is, read the contract details as closely as possible because they put things in to trip you up and see if you notice.

Do you have one coming up? Good luck to your friend and to you too @Helena Boyd !

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Out of interest, for those who applied to HSF. How ‘legal’ was your chosen topic when answering the question ‘explain something that interests you and why it does’?

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Out of interest, for those who applied to HSF. How ‘legal’ was your chosen topic when answering the question ‘explain something that interests you and why it does’?
Hey Selma,

Not legal at all but commercial leaning. I have a friend who wanted to write something legal, asked if it should be something legal and hsf said no so I think it threw her off a bit.

I think if you can write a great answer about a legal matter because you're genuinely passionate about it, go for it. Otherwise, it might seem like you're trying to fit a certain mould or you don't have an interest beyond law? I say that with a pinch of salt because I don't want to put you off. I personally stayed away from my degree choice but that's because I had two options to choose from.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey Selma,

Not legal at all but commercial leaning. I have a friend who wanted to write something legal, asked if it should be something legal and hsf said no so I think it threw her off a bit.

I think if you can write a great answer about a legal matter because you're genuinely passionate about it, go for it. Otherwise, it might seem like you're trying to fit a certain mould or you don't have an interest beyond law? I say that with a pinch of salt because I don't want to put you off. I personally stayed away from my degree choice but that's because I had two options to choose from.

Poop I meant commercial so a business related topic I am interested in or should I sway away from it and do something different. What are your thoughts?

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Poop I meant commercial so a business related topic I am interested in or should I sway away from it and do something different. What are your thoughts?
I would 100% advocate that it doesn't need to be commercial but at the same time, if that's your interest, go for it. Either way, if your writing is top notch, they'll want to invite you in. When I read it, I actually initially thought I had to do something more personal but I ended up choosing a commercial story because in the end, that's what I knew and that's what I liked.

Mine was pretty commercial just to be clear :)

Reactions: Salma

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I would 100% advocate that it doesn't need to be commercial but at the same time, if that's your interest, go for it. Either way, if your writing is top notch, they'll want to invite you in. When I read it, I actually initially thought I had to do something more personal but I ended up choosing a commercial story because in the end, that's what I knew and that's what I liked.

Mine was pretty commercial just to be clear :)
I echo Hazal - I chose a commercial story too because it was what truly interested me. At the end of the day it has to be something you are happy to talk about and your writing will flow because of it.

Reactions: Hazal

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
hey Sandrou, completed mine today actually!

I agree with Helena in that it's tougher than most but there are things to prepare for/keep in mind when going into it.

So for the scenario interview you will need to have some general commercial knowledge. How a business works, how banks lend money, all the basic financial terms you hear thrown about. I prepared for this by reading Christopher Stoakes' Commercial Awareness and signing up for one of Jaysen's commercial classes, specifically the M&A one. While m&a didn't come up, banks and loans did. I recommend signing up to his possible upcoming class on debt and equity if this stuff is confusing. Personally, I didn't find knowing their sectors well a requirement but maybe that's because I got a partner in banking and not something niche like energy.

For the case study, a good presentation structure and a really close attention to detail is important. What I mean by the latter is, read the contract details as closely as possible because they put things in to trip you up and see if you notice.

Do you have one coming up? Good luck to your friend and to you too @Helena Boyd !
Thanks Hazal and to you - m&a didn't come up for me either - it was a complex litigation case.

Reactions: Hazal

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
@Hazal Thank you for this detailed response. Best of luck with the outcome of you AC.

@Selma95 Re the interest question, I can only echo what’s already been mentioned. A good strategy may perhaps be to draw from your job (if you work in a somewhat commercial environment) and to link it with a commercial story.

• 🤝
Reactions: Salma and Hazal

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
@Hazal Thank you for this detailed response. Best of luck with the outcome of you AC.

@Selma95 Re the interest question, I can only echo what’s already been mentioned. A good strategy may perhaps be to draw from your job (if you work in a somewhat commercial environment) and to link it with a commercial story.

Thanks @Sandrou! I was hoping to link my chosen topic to an interest of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.