Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, just wondering whether there's much point in applying for direct TC's if you have no prior formal vacation scheme experience? Most people that I have asked tend to say not to bother.
It really depends on your CV. for example, I have more than 3 years experience as a paralegal so I am applying for direct TC. However, I would be conflicted if you do not have much legal experience..

Reactions: Serah O

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Your second chance will come with applying again and going through the process like any other candidate. If that is that they won’t reinterview candidates, they are unlikely to make an exception for something that happened 7 months ago and that wasn’t addressed at the time.

It won’t be the partners’ decision though. You need to speak to graduate recruitment.

how do you mean “earn” that chance?

Thanks. I just wanted to ask SM if I can apply again because I have improved a lot since the interview, and I wanted to use the fact that they are considering my work for the main prize as evidence of that.

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    I know many have posted the same, but Linklaters seem to be taking for EVER to get back to me (Summer VS)... No update emails or anything...
    Anyone heard anything?

According to the Links thread, they are trying to come back to everyone with the outcome of their application by the end of the week and have been sending out messages to applicants over the past few days

Reactions: MJ90

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks. I just wanted to ask SM if I can apply again because I have improved a lot since the interview, and I wanted to use the fact that they are considering my work for the main prize as evidence of that.

the issue is that they are unlikely to make exceptions. If their policy is not to reinterview, they will get lots of requests a year to reconsider based on something of value.

there is no harm in asking, but I would ask the GR team and be prepared for a no answer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As Jessica said, it depends but just in my experience I was told explicitly by the firm to apply for direct TC next time.

some of my best trainees were people who didn’t get a vac scheme but then reapplies for a TC. In those cases I too explicitly encouraged them to reapply - I didn’t do that to all candidates, but it didn’t mean I only considered those “encouraged” people when they did reapply.

Reactions: Nick

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020
    some of my best trainees were people who didn’t get a vac scheme but then reapplies for a TC. In those cases I too explicitly encouraged them to reapply - I didn’t do that to all candidates, but it didn’t mean I only considered those “encouraged” people when they did reapply.
    As Jessica said, it depends but just in my experience I was told explicitly by the firm to apply for direct TC next time.
    oh so if i reapplied for a direct TC instead of vac scheme next time, that’s probably alright?

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    just to clarify, i meant this for people who were rejected by a firm for vac scheme post-AC!

If it doesn't mention that you can't then yes I would. I know some firms have policies of not re-interviewing people so maybe just check that but I think more often than not, they see it as a good thing that you're reapplying and improving.

Reactions: bel123456
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.