Herbert Smith Freehills App

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
As someone who is interested in this, here’s a few points I would consider.

1) Drugs are already illegal. To what extent is your idea ‘introducing a new law’.

2) Legislative prohibition has never worked. From Alcohol in 1920s America, to governments literally murdering drug users/dealers, when demand for narcotics exists, it’s very difficult for policy makers to reduce consumption rates. Furthermore, how would legislation serve to make drugs harder to obtain? Given the inherent legal status of drugs, the entire supply chain is operated by criminal enterprises who, obviously, have no regard for the law. What’s would an addition to preexisting legislation actually do about that? Even more so in a western country where certain personal liberties cannot be infringed upon - if this is the jurisdiction you wish for this new law to be implemented in.

3) Worth considering wether more legislation would be counter-intuitive. Drugs in the black market aren’t subject to quality control, resulting in more dangerous product being available (either incredible potent or cut with types of poison) - unlike the legal alternative where drugs would be regulated and “safer”. Also, in some countries where have relaxed the war on drugs (e.g Portugal) and treated drug addiction as an illness rather than a criminal act, consumption rates have decreased. Also takes away a lucrative trade from the hands of criminal organisations. This could certainly be a point raised by an interviewer!

Don’t be afraid to go with controversial though. If it’s something you believe strongly about, and you feel you have an air tight argument then go with it!

Edit- Thought this was under the post regarding the question “introduce a new law”. Some of my points still stand though haha
Thank you for your reply, Jason
I agree with your points and just to make it clear I want to focus on the legalisation of the drugs and not make it illegal. If drugs are legalised people who want to try drugs like MDMA for recreation purposes would be able to obtain from trusted markets rather than the black market from where it is risky to buy.
Furthermore, regulations will put restrictions on the amount of drugs that a person is allowed to buy at once, age restrictions and intoxicated will be denied the purchase.
Also, I found your points really helpful and I will aim to back my answer with the example of Portugal.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
Thank you for your reply, Jason
I agree with your points and just to make it clear I want to focus on the legalisation of the drugs and not make it illegal. If drugs are legalised people who want to try drugs like MDMA for recreation purposes would be able to obtain from trusted markets rather than the black market from where it is risky to buy.
Furthermore, regulations will put restrictions on the amount of drugs that a person is allowed to buy at once, age restrictions and intoxicated will be denied the purchase.
Also, I found your points really helpful and I will aim to back my answer with the example of Portugal.

Oh wow I really can’t read today ahah, I didn’t see you say about legalisation - my bad.

I think that’s a great topic and even though it’s ‘controversial’ I think the idea of legalisation is actually a lot more logical so there’s definitely a solid argument to be had. Best of luck!

Reactions: nymi

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for the reply, Jaysen ! This is very helpful.
    I am thinking of writing about legalisation and regulation of drugs, thereby making it harder to obtain. This is the topic which is quite personal to me since I have lost a loved one because of illicit drug use. However, while mentioning in the law firm applications, I sometimes feel that it is too controversial and maybe looked down upon by the recruiters.

I think that’s a fair concern. @Jessica Booker - What do you think of this as a topic?

Reactions: nymi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think that’s a fair concern. @Jessica Booker - What do you think of this as a topic?

Personally I think this is too contentious topic for an application. It’s not that it’s completely off limits but I just think it is an exceptionally risky choice that your going to have to nail the answer to.

Reactions: Karin, Jaysen and nymi

nymi

Distinguished Member
    Nov 21, 2019
    Personally I think this is too contentious topic for an application. It’s not that it’s completely off limits but I just think it is an exceptionally risky choice that your going to have to nail the answer to.

Thank you both for your response. I will now take more time build my argument stronger and consider whether I should go ahead.

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    in the question "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you." Do you think I should/there is a need to link the answer back to HSF? or should I just keep it limited to the topic and why it interests me ?

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    in the question "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you." Do you think I should/there is a need to link the answer back to HSF? or should I just keep it limited to the topic and why it interests me ?
    I don't think you need to link the answer back to HSF - of course if it is something HSF is directly involved with, it would be great if you could make the connection. However, if you would have to waste many words trying to link it back then I wouldn't worry.

I think it is about your ability to explain a topic & why it interests you in a very concise yet engaging and interesting manner :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    I don't think you need to link the answer back to HSF - of course if it is something HSF is directly involved with, it would be great if you could make the connection. However, if you would have to waste many words trying to link it back then I wouldn't worry.

I think it is about your ability to explain a topic & why it interests you in a very concise yet engaging and interesting manner :)
    alrighty! Thank you so much :)

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

I've written this a few times on the forum.

GR said that this question is your opportunity to write persuasively. So, ensure whatever you write about is well thought out, well researched, and persuasively written.

I used this opportunity to also link my story back to the firm using a very, very succinct SWOT analysis.

Source: Offered a TC at HSF this year.

Reactions: xyzzzzz and Karin
    D

Deleted member 2707

Hello! Reviving this thread for the 2020 cycle, I was wondering if anyone had any input as to how creative applicants can be when answering the 'introduce us to a topic' question for the HSF application. I was thinking of writing about pop culture- specifically either the rise of anime in Western media or the recent popularity of fanfiction. Both of these topics aren't as commercial/corporate but I do have a keen interest in both (particularly the latter topic on fanfiction). Alternatively, I was planning to write about Netflix, rival streaming services and particularly, about its main competitor Disney+; this would be more 'commercial' as I could discuss impacts on traditional media, rise in usage from COVID etc. However, I do have less interest in this topic. What do you all think?

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    I think I would not worry about writing anything commercial here, because, in my opinion, they are looking for something that you are really passionate about. Of course it can be something commercial, but make sure it's something you have been passionate about, or have been really interested in for quite some time. The answer might also need some substantiation as to why it's interesting to you.

CallumJR

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Hello! Reviving this thread for the 2020 cycle, I was wondering if anyone had any input as to how creative applicants can be when answering the 'introduce us to a topic' question for the HSF application. I was thinking of writing about pop culture- specifically either the rise of anime in Western media or the recent popularity of fanfiction. Both of these topics aren't as commercial/corporate but I do have a keen interest in both (particularly the latter topic on fanfiction). Alternatively, I was planning to write about Netflix, rival streaming services and particularly, about its main competitor Disney+; this would be more 'commercial' as I could discuss impacts on traditional media, rise in usage from COVID etc. However, I do have less interest in this topic. What do you all think?

I would definitely go with the first one. Fanfiction seems to me quite interesting and in that question it is all about showing your personality.

Reactions: Jaysen

nymi

Distinguished Member
    Nov 21, 2019
    Hello everyone,

I have drafted an answer for the question "What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?". I would be really really if someone could read over my answer and provide a feedback

D

Deleted member 2707

I think I would not worry about writing anything commercial here, because, in my opinion, they are looking for something that you are really passionate about. Of course it can be something commercial, but make sure it's something you have been passionate about, or have been really interested in for quite some time. The answer might also need some substantiation as to why it's interesting to you.

Thank you all!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Definitely discuss what genuinely interests you and show your personality - on my AC we had covered a whole range of topics from medical devices to gin to football!! Just write it in an interesting way, try not to assume too much knowledge in your reader and just show the passion you have.

Reactions: Karin
    D

Deleted member 2707

Definitely discuss what genuinely interests you and show your personality - on my AC we had covered a whole range of topics from medical devices to gin to football!! Just write it in an interesting way, try not to assume too much knowledge in your reader and just show the passion you have.

Thank you Alice! On another note, do you happen to know how I'm supposed to write it? As in the purpose of the question- is it to inform, persuade? Thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thank you Alice! On another note, do you happen to know how I'm supposed to write it? As in the purpose of the question- is it to inform, persuade? Thank you!
    So I took an informative approach. I treated it as though I was telling someone about something new and this was very much because my topic was a little bit more technical. I cannot say what the approach of other people was but I don't think you necessarily need to have an argument or a persuasive angle. i guess the best advice is just to be agile - my topic question took me a couple of weeks of continuous editing and I really think this helped me get it exactly where is needed to be.

Reactions: jan28

letslovejay

Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2020
    Hi,

I was thinking about writing about my love for Mixology in response to "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you"
    Do you guys reckon this would be ok as a topic? I'm going to try and see how I can link it back to HSF however I'm struggling to find that nexus - does there need to be one?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi,

I was thinking about writing about my love for Mixology in response to "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you"
    Do you guys reckon this would be ok as a topic? I'm going to try and see how I can link it back to HSF however I'm struggling to find that nexus - does there need to be one?
    Hi there,

You don’t need to relate this back to HSF.

I just checked my response from last year and I didn’t do this and got to their AC :)

Reactions: Karin

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

I agree with Alice here. I also took an informative approach and basically explained my topic. I'm happy to share what I wrote below as I was unsuccessful on the AC and I can't apply for another 2 years! I did try to weave in their key skills e.g. teamwork/empathy into my answer but I don't think this is completely necessary.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 14.21.38.png
      Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 14.21.38.png
      104.2 KB · Views: 442
    Reactions: S87 and Tushar

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.