Herbert Smith Freehills App

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I agree with Alice here. I also took an informative approach and basically explained my topic. I'm happy to share what I wrote below as I was unsuccessful on the AC and I can't apply for another 2 years! I did try to weave in their key skills e.g. teamwork/empathy into my answer but I don't think this is completely necessary.
This is a really memorable answer! Thank you for sharing this :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Tushar and jan28
D

Deleted member 2707

I agree with Alice here. I also took an informative approach and basically explained my topic. I'm happy to share what I wrote below as I was unsuccessful on the AC and I can't apply for another 2 years! I did try to weave in their key skills e.g. teamwork/empathy into my answer but I don't think this is completely necessary.

Thank you so much! So sorry if I come off as ignorant but does HSF have a policy of not allowing applicants to re-apply (for 2 cycles at least) if they have submitted a failed application? Thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: jan28

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much! So sorry if I come off as ignorant but does HSF have a policy of not allowing applicants to re-apply (for 2 cycles at least) if they have submitted a failed application? Thank you!
I think they updated their recruitment process so that if you had an assessment centre and did not get given an offer, you either have to wait 24 months to apply again or for another application cycle to lapse. I do not know precisely what the terms are because 24 months can be very different to just waiting for an app cycle to lapse but there was an update that basically meant applicants can't apply in the next recruitment cycle following the one they were unsuccessful in.

This was knowledge I gained from word of mouth and I do not have this in writing from the firm so I say this with that caveat.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Tushar

letslovejay

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2020
Hi there,

You don’t need to relate this back to HSF.

I just checked my response from last year and I didn’t do this and got to their AC :)

Thank You girls! Really helpful responses. So far I have taken an informational approach as well, I am now working on weaving in their key skills, perhaps attention to detail and challenging myself to try a new hobby
R19, I really appreciate you sharing what you wrote as it helps me to get a good idea of structure, thank you :)

Reactions: Alice G

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Just to reiterate a point I made previously in this thread. I had a lot of engagement with HSF. The "topic" question does not need to be commercial, it is there to provide you with an opportunity to write about something persuasively (their words).

There's no need to overthink this question. Write about something passionately and you will get through! I wrote about a commercial topic. I relayed it back to the firm. The advice here is that you do not need to do that, and I agree. I just chose the path of least resistance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Agree with Alice.

People typically will refer to a firm as their full name in the first instance and then put the abbreviation/acronym at the end, and then use the shortened version from then onwards...

For instance:

Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Does anyone know if you could apply for the VS at HSF if you've been rejected following an AC?
You’d need to check this but I think you have to allow an application cycle to lapse before you can apply again and be considered if you attended an AC and didn’t succeed (I believe it’s either that or you have to wait 24 months). That’s something I have heard but I’d recommend emailing graduate recruitment or calling them to check this as I’ve only heard this from other people and not directly from them.

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
Regarding HSF's 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you' question, how much of the word count should go towards 'introducing' the topic and then 'explaining' why it interests you? I know the word count is 300 words.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Does anyone know if you could apply for the VS at HSF if you've been rejected following an AC?
If you have done an AC and been unsuccessful, you must wait 24 months before re-applying. I found this out to my despair last year.

This is a policy they introduced in September 2019.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Regarding HSF's 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you' question, how much of the word count should go towards 'introducing' the topic and then 'explaining' why it interests you? I know the word count is 300 words.

There won't be a fixed number - for one person the explanation might be more thorough, for the next their interest might be more thorough. I wouldn't fixate on it - just what works for you and your answer.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I agree with @Jessica Booker. Also, these two elements of the question can be written in tandem, not necessarily strictly separate.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
You’d need to check this but I think you have to allow an application cycle to lapse before you can apply again and be considered if you attended an AC and didn’t succeed (I believe it’s either that or you have to wait 24 months). That’s something I have heard but I’d recommend emailing graduate recruitment or calling them to check this as I’ve only heard this from other people and not directly from them.

They mention this in one of their Q&A story highlights on Instagram (tried to post a screenshot but file is too large):

'You can reapply if you didn't get on to our first year workshops [...] However, if you were previously unsuccessful during our assessment centre, you will need to wait two recruitment cycles before reapplying. We believe this will give you time to develop on the necessary skills, while ensuring you feel confident in your own abilities."

Last edited:
Reactions: hlaws20

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
They mention this in one of their Q&A story highlights on Instagram (tried to post a screenshot but file is too large):

'You can reapply if you didn't get on to our first year workshops [...] However, if you were previously unsuccessful during out assessment centre, you will need to wait two recruitment cycles before reapplying. We believe this will give you time to develop on the necessary skills, while ensuring you feel confident in your own abilities."
Thank you for sharing this, it’s definitely more credible to hear from the firms themselves!

Wajahat Jilani

Star Member
Jun 15, 2020
Hi everyone,
Thank you for your discussion so far, it has been helpful.

I have a slightly unique question. The application form only has space to enter a limited number of subjects, with an open-text box at the bottom for additional results. Being an international student, I have 60 modules to enter. I was wondering what would be advisable - (1) entering as many subjects in the designated spaces and the rest in the open-text box; or (2) entering the highest scoring/most-relevant subjects in the designated spaces and the rest in the open-text box.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.