Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,
Thank you for your discussion so far, it has been helpful.

I have a slightly unique question. The application form only has space to enter a limited number of subjects, with an open-text box at the bottom for additional results. Being an international student, I have 60 modules to enter. I was wondering what would be advisable - (1) entering as many subjects in the designated spaces and the rest in the open-text box; or (2) entering the highest scoring/most-relevant subjects in the designated spaces and the rest in the open-text box.

I’d personally go with your most recent results in the designated spaces and you earlier results in the text box.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you!

I have a law degree from outside the UK and have enrolled to commence the GDL in January. However, I am not sure what to enter for the first question (attached), which consequently affects the second question. What would you suggest? View attachment 2148

you need to choose non law where you need to do the GDL

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
  • 🤝
Reactions: Karin and orange32

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread but has anyone completed HSF's online 'blended assessment': (situational judgement, a personality questionnaire and verbal reasoning)?

I would really appreciate any advice on how to prepare (apart from the practice test on their website!) / I am interested to know what it is like.

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread but has anyone completed HSF's online 'blended assessment': (situational judgement, a personality questionnaire and verbal reasoning)?

I would really appreciate any advice on how to prepare (apart from the practice test on their website!) / I am interested to know what it is like.

I have. The VR can be practised using elements from the Watson Glaser test, of which there are quite a few examples free online. For the SJT, I really feel like their own website test is good practice - I didn't find it very difficult and I think it's quite intuitive, basically use common sense to discount the obviously bad options and then select the ones that appeal to you the most from the remaining options. The personality questionnaire unfortunately I don't think you can really prepare for. Be honest throughout, but present a version of yourself that appears competent and be sure not to pick the 'middle ground' option too much as then the system can't get a solid feel of your personality.

It's quite short, I wouldn't overthink it!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and NikkiT

orange32

Star Member
    Aug 12, 2020
    I have. The VR can be practised using elements from the Watson Glaser test, of which there are quite a few examples free online. For the SJT, I really feel like their own website test is good practice - I didn't find it very difficult and I think it's quite intuitive, basically use common sense to discount the obviously bad options and then select the ones that appeal to you the most from the remaining options. The personality questionnaire unfortunately I don't think you can really prepare for. Be honest throughout, but present a version of yourself that appears competent and be sure not to pick the 'middle ground' option too much as then the system can't get a solid feel of your personality.

It's quite short, I wouldn't overthink it!

Was wondering if the VR is only True/False/Cannot Say questions like the practice test on HSF's website, or does it have more types of questions (i.e. more like the full Watson Glaser)?

Thanks!

Reactions: NikkiT

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Was wondering if the VR is only True/False/Cannot Say questions like the practice test on HSF's website, or does it have more types of questions (i.e. more like the full Watson Glaser)?

Thanks!

I think it was more like the full WG, but I did this test last Thursday and sat the Linklaters WG immediately afterwards, so I may be mixing them up. If anyone can correct me please do so!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018

Thanks!

If anyone has any advice on the HSF test, please do share! This will be my first test of this cycle and really hoping not to screw it up!

I did the test yesterday so might be able to help.

The verbal reasoning section was just True/False/ Cannot Say... imo VR is different to the inferences section of the WG in that you can only rely on what's specifically stated in the passages to answer the questions. I bought the Assessment Day test bundles to prepare for these tests, and have found them super useful! Also, some amazing people gave me great advice on completing the VR test which SERIOUSLY helped! Here is a link to the page with the advice - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-interview-tips-2020.2170/page-257#post-37638

For SJT I would literally just advice to practice the one they have on their website as many times as possible so you get a feel for how to answer! also have a look at other firm websites that do SJT and practice their free ones (this is something I wish I had done as I kinda struggled with the SJT ngl)

For the personality test just be as honest as possible really! I'm not really sure if there is a specific strategy for these, I just stick to being honest :D

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I did the test yesterday so might be able to help.

The verbal reasoning section was just True/False/ Cannot Say... imo VR is different to the inferences section of the WG in that you can only rely on what's specifically stated in the passages to answer the questions. I bought the Assessment Day test bundles to prepare for these tests, and have found them super useful! Also, some amazing people gave me great advice on completing the VR test which SERIOUSLY helped! Here is a link to the page with the advice - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-interview-tips-2020.2170/page-257#post-37638

For SJT I would literally just advice to practice the one they have on their website as many times as possible so you get a feel for how to answer! also have a look at other firm websites that do SJT and practice their free ones (this is something I wish I had done as I kinda struggled with the SJT ngl)

For the personality test just be as honest as possible really! I'm not really sure if there is a specific strategy for these, I just stick to being honest :D

Thanks for this!

Were the SJT questions similar to the ones in the practice test? Also, were the personality traits also similar?

I'm not sure how to prepare apart from doing VR test practice!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Thanks for this!

Were the SJT questions similar to the ones in the practice test? Also, were the personality traits also similar?

I'm not sure how to prepare apart from doing VR test practice!

Yup they were definitely similar! They're really not trying to trip you up, the practice ones are really helpful!

Like I said, all I did was the practice tests on their website - so they have a scenario practice and an actual blended test practice. I must have done them at least 10 times :oops: I think someone on this forum said that when you do the scenario practice test jot down the feedback for each question so you have a solid basis of what they look for in applicants

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Yup they were definitely similar! They're really not trying to trip you up, the practice ones are really helpful!

Like I said, all I did was the practice tests on their website - so they have a scenario practice and an actual blended test practice. I must have done them at least 10 times :oops: I think someone on this forum said that when you do the scenario practice test jot down the feedback for each question so you have a solid basis of what they look for in applicants

Thanks! What/where are the different practice tests ('scenario practice and an actual blended test practice'^?) I only saw the one you click on from step 2 of the 'Apply' section on the website!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Thanks! What/where are the different practice tests ('scenario practice and an actual blended test practice'^?) I only saw the one you click on from step 2 of the 'Apply' section on the website!

https://careers.herbertsmithfreehills.com/uk/grads/apply - scroll down to "what we look for" on the right hand side of that title there are two buttons one says Quiz... click it :D (that's the scenario question thingy. the one under step 2 of Apply is the blended test)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.