Herbert Smith Freehills App

IceFloe

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Did you get a response? I submitted today and am wondering if I am unlikely to get the pass/fail email today, as it is not a working day.

I haven't gotten a response yet. I spoke to someone on another forum who submitted over the weekend like us and they got their result the following Monday. It's definitely a manual response that has to be done on a working day. We'll probably find out tomorrow, best of luck!

Reactions: Wajahat Jilani

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
I just got an email that Herbert Smith Freehills is not moving forward with my application due to not meeting their benchmark on the online test. This was my second application this cycle and one I also failed due to testing. I wish they told me which components (or whether it was timing?) that caused me to "fail" instead of sending me the same personality report that was also sent after completing the test.

Anyway, here are my tips and advice for future candidates:
  • The verbal reasoning section (12 questions) most resembles the SHL tests, so those are worth practicing on. Unlike the SHL practice test though, related scenarios are presented to you in order. Even though the test is timed, really take the time to read the prompt when you first see it. You are not going to be able to change your responses after you move to the next question and the next few questions will be on that same prompt anyway.
  • For the situational judgment test (12 questions), take the time to really understand the practice questions shown in the practice test and the quiz that the graduate recruitment website has. I tried to write them out and compare reasonings both publicly and privately in this forum. I also did an official SHL test and compared results with an applicant on here. This helped me immensely but given the timed nature of the assignment made it much harder to do that same level of analysis. So I kept asking "What is the effect of this action?" and trying to quickly rank them that way. (If I had to guess, I think this section is the one I did worse on.)
  • For the personality test (26 questions), just be honest with your strengths and weaknesses. If you are, that avoids inconsistencies in your responses and will allow you and HSF to receive a more accurate report. I've taken other personality tests before that were absolutely spot on about who I was and this test (based on the report I got and disappointments expressed earlier in this thread) wasn't really quite as sophisticated, in my opinion.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I passed the tests with Herbert Smith Freehills, or 'passed their benchmark', whatever the term is! Anyone had any update from Herbert Smith's with regards to Assessment Centres? Just conscious because the website says they'll be arranged in November and I'll need time off work

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Rejected. Gutted really. I thought I’d done well. Oh well. Good luck all!
    Rejected myself now too. Gutted and seriously frustrated given how long this took around full-time work...alas, onto the next and to (probably) a better opportunity
    Solidarity to both – I was rejected too last week (post WG). It was really frustrating, especially because they claim they focus on academic qualifications/achievements when assessing applications and to be completely frank that’s the ONE area where I consider myself pretty competitive. Ah well. Onwards!

D

Deleted member 2707

Rejected. Gutted really. I thought I’d done well. Oh well. Good luck all!
    Rejected myself now too. Gutted and seriously frustrated given how long this took around full-time work...alas, onto the next and to (probably) a better opportunity
    Solidarity to both – I was rejected too last week (post WG). It was really frustrating, especially because they claim they focus on academic qualifications/achievements when assessing applications and to be completely frank that’s the ONE area where I consider myself pretty competitive. Ah well. Onwards!

I'm sorry to hear that- rejections was basically my middle name last year. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

MandyA

Nov 9, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer 'What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)'

How many examples of skills, qualities and attributes did you include?

Thank you in advance xx

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer 'What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)'

How many examples of skills, qualities and attributes did you include?

Thank you in advance xx

To answer this question you might want to have a look at their website to see if they have some skills they look for. But if not, think about what is required for a commercial lawyer. Perhaps you think managing a large workload is important - have you got an example to show for this? As HSF is an international firm, do you have that international mindset? How? If you are struggling to think of some skills you have, you could always ask a friend/family member if they notice anything about your work style or personality. There will definitely be a lot of skills and attributes that you will bring to the role, its just about a bit of uncomfortable reflection! :)

MandyA

Nov 9, 2020
    To answer this question you might want to have a look at their website to see if they have some skills they look for. But if not, think about what is required for a commercial lawyer. Perhaps you think managing a large workload is important - have you got an example to show for this? As HSF is an international firm, do you have that international mindset? How? If you are struggling to think of some skills you have, you could always ask a friend/family member if they notice anything about your work style or personality. There will definitely be a lot of skills and attributes that you will bring to the role, its just about a bit of uncomfortable reflection! :)

Thank you!!:)

• 🤝
    Reactions: bethbristol

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Just got an email after completing the test saying 'Your application is currently under review and we will be in touch after the deadline to advise on the outcome of your application'.

Does that mean I met there benchmark?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.