Herbert Smith Freehills App

Ellis Finch

Nov 16, 2020
Cant answer definitely, how long had it been since you did the test?
It's been 24 hours now. I emailed grad recruitment, and they said I should hear about my application in the following weeks. It just seems weird because other people said they received an email tell them their application was now under consideration. But I only received the report email and nothing else

eveh1784

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
It's been 24 hours now. I emailed grad recruitment, and they said I should hear about my application in the following weeks. It just seems weird because other people said they received an email tell them their application was now under consideration. But I only received the report email and nothing else

Hey I'm in the same position as you. Did the test about a week ago - immediately got the report but no notification of progression/rejection. Portal says under review.

Reactions: Ellis Finch

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
Hi! I'm currently going through HSF's Practice Test and I'm struggling quite a bit on the situational judgement portion. In particular, I'm quite confused by this question:

Scenario: Since you arrived at work today, you have been very busy working on your current project, which had a deadline of 2pm. Now you have completed this task, you check your e-mails and notice that earlier in the day an Associate had e-mailed all the trainees in the group to ask for help. You do not see any replies to the e-mail, but then you may not have been copied in on them. You still have a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week.

Most Effective: Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability.
Least Effective: Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate.

I do understand that the Most Effective solution would be to speak to the associate it would be rude not to reply to the email at all/not give an answer. However, why is the least effective answer asking the colleagues if they've completed the task? I would think this would be a good way to figure out if I should offer my help during my reply email. Or are situational judgements singular- in the sense that that would be all that I would do and not proceed with any other action?

Thank you!
Hi guys, I just had a question, where is this question from? I can't find this question on the 8 questions that are on the Grad Rec page. Is there a separate practice test that I am not aware of? @Manifesting thought I'd mention to ask you as well given your thorough research on the test. :))

Thank you!

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
Hi guys, I just had a question, where is this question from? I can't find this question on the 8 questions that are on the Grad Rec page. Is there a separate practice test that I am not aware of? @Manifesting thought I'd mention to ask you as well given your thorough research on the test. :))

Thank you!

Here is the link to the practice test: https://sovaonline.com/register/WIHcCpMVrqrnapSMrYGjGapFqfih8pVcP6cVQmylkiM

You can also access it on the GR website under their online test description (Step 2), here: https://careers.herbertsmithfreehills.com/uk/grads/apply

eveh1784

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hey congrats!! Do u have any tips for the test?

Ah thank you!! This is the advice I gave to someone else: I would say for the verbal reasoning - I only practiced with watson glasers as there are similarities, but I’m pretty sure there are a range of more similar practice tests online (check higher up on this thread I think I saw something there). For the personality test - just answer it honestly; there are some repeat q’s which are phrased slightly diff etc., so answering honestly will ensure you are consistent! Then for the situational judgement, as with any firm, you should research competencies (there is also a small practice on their applications page. Good luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Ah thank you!! This is the advice I gave to someone else: I would say for the verbal reasoning - I only practiced with watson glasers as there are similarities, but I’m pretty sure there are a range of more similar practice tests online (check higher up on this thread I think I saw something there). For the personality test - just answer it honestly; there are some repeat q’s which are phrased slightly diff etc., so answering honestly will ensure you are consistent! Then for the situational judgement, as with any firm, you should research competencies (there is also a small practice on their applications page. Good luck!

Thanks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.