Herbert Smith Freehills App

orange32

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
My report came through almost instantly after completing the test. The further emails about the benchmark and progressing to application review took quite a few hours to come through.

Thanks, very helpful. Just got mine

For anyone else that's fretting while waiting (like I did), I got mine roughly 4 hours after completing the test.

Reactions: JJP

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Has anyone NOT passed the online test? Does silence mean I've failed given that everyone else has received an email saying they met the benchmark? Also, did anyone else's feedback report just get them completely wrong? Mine says I'm bad with people - which is literally my greatest strength. Knowing it's my greatest strength, I know I selected either the top or second from top band for any of those questions so I'm stumped how they've reached that conclusion. At one stage in my report it says I'm "likely to demonstrate an awareness of others' perspectives and; collaborate and build rapport with different people", later on it says "prioritise completing your work over seeking opportunities to engage, maintain and create relationships". Reading through the report (and I've sent it to a couple of other people too) it sounds absolutely nothing like me at all.

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Has anyone NOT passed the online test? Does silence mean I've failed given that everyone else has received an email saying they met the benchmark? Also, did anyone else's feedback report just get them completely wrong? Mine says I'm bad with people - which is literally my greatest strength. Knowing it's my greatest strength, I know I selected either the top or second from top band for any of those questions so I'm stumped how they've reached that conclusion. At one stage in my report it says I'm "likely to demonstrate an awareness of others' perspectives and; collaborate and build rapport with different people", later on it says "prioritise completing your work over seeking opportunities to engage, maintain and create relationships". Reading through the report (and I've sent it to a couple of other people too) it sounds absolutely nothing like me at all.
    Sometimes some of the questions that you think are very obviously not about people are actually about people/emotional intelligence and vice versa - so maybe that was an issue? Also, it may have been that you were inconsistent a few times due to this (you may not have realised a question was about people and you put it lower accidentally) so that may have affected the report
    but honestly, I'm just spitballing here lol

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Sometimes some of the questions that you think are very obviously not about people are actually about people/emotional intelligence and vice versa - so maybe that was an issue? Also, it may have been that you were inconsistent a few times due to this (you may not have realised a question was about people and you put it lower accidentally) so that may have affected the report
    but honestly, I'm just spitballing here lol
    I suppose but I just don't see how that would be possible with their style of questioning. It was pretty clear to me what the statements meant. Who knows! I'm just curious to see whether I should receive a rejection email if I've failed or whether they just leave me hanging. There's a slim chance they'll send through the acceptance email but I can't imagine a firm wanting to hire someone who supposedly hates people.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Did you choose the answers you truly thought were aligned to what you would do or did you try to choose the answers you thought they wanted to see?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Did you choose the answers you truly thought were aligned to what you would do or did you try to choose the answers you thought they wanted to see?
    My strengths are interpersonal skills and enjoying stimulating work - so I chose those to be my top choices. I don't think it's really possible to know what they want because you rank which is most like you but they'll all be good qualities or all bad qualities, if that makes sense.

whoyou

Standard Member
    Aug 25, 2020

I had this issue last year where the two parts of the report were conflicting and it claimed that I was weak in two areas out of the four they listed, nonetheless I got through to application review, and the email took a while ( after the report) to come through. I don't know if I'm wrong but I think they place more weight on the SJT and verbal reasoning rather than the personality test which is what I think the report is based on.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I had this issue last year where the two parts of the report were conflicting and it claimed that I was weak in two areas out of the four they listed, nonetheless I got through to application review, and the email took a while ( after the report) to come through. I don't know if I'm wrong but I think they place more weight on the SJT and verbal reasoning rather than the personality test which is what I think the report is based on.
    Thank you - this is really helpful. I've now had the email saying that I met the benchmark. I they ask for a weakness further on in the application, I think I'll choose "jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst".

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    My strengths are interpersonal skills and enjoying stimulating work - so I chose those to be my top choices. I don't think it's really possible to know what they want because you rank which is most like you but they'll all be good qualities or all bad qualities, if that makes sense.
    Yep, I had the same problem – sometimes it felt like all the statements were absolutely crucial qualities and yet some had to be ranked low! – so my report actually doesn’t sound like me that much. I still managed to get past the benchmark (phew) and am awaiting further news...

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    The questions are no doubt intentionally like this and seem tricky to discern between because they’re really trying to see which value you align more with. If there wasn’t this conflict then everyone would probably answer rather similarly. Doing it this way elicits probably more of an honest response because candidates really have to think intrinsically about their character. This is why it’s best to be totally honest as no one will truly know how these elements are being assessed and benchmarked. Better to be honest and not progress to the next stage than to second guess yourself and try to predict the ‘right’ qualities and not progress then.

Reactions: orange32 and Staples

prestigiousdata

Oct 9, 2020
    I did the online assessment 4 hours ago and the feedback report said I am a “reasonably high performer” in leadership and teamwork and went straight to how I am likely to behave in technical skills and working style.

can someone who had passed the benchmark tell me what their report said so I know what to expect.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I did the online assessment 4 hours ago and the feedback report said I am a “reasonably high performer” in leadership and teamwork and went straight to how I am likely to behave in technical skills and working style.

can someone who had passed the benchmark tell me what their report said so I know what to expect.

You won’t be able to determine whether you passed or not from the candidate report. Many reports will give a few areas you are strong in and a couple (or one) where you’re not as strong. I’ve been to a couple of ACs now with such tests and the strengths and weaknesses you get in the report don’t seem to have any bearing on the result of your test as most candidates have entirely different reports! Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about this and just wait to see whether the firm confirm if you passed or not :) (I know the wait is awful!!)

prestigiousdata

Oct 9, 2020
    You won’t be able to determine whether you passed or not from the candidate report. Many reports will give a few areas you are strong in and a couple (or one) where you’re not as strong. I’ve been to a couple of ACs now with such tests and the strengths and weaknesses you get in the report don’t seem to have any bearing on the result of your test as most candidates have entirely different reports! Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about this and just wait to see whether the firm confirm if you passed or not :) (I know the wait is awful!!)
    Thanks !

IceFloe

Star Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I did the test around 11pm last night and received my report immediately but haven't yet heard back as to if I've passed the benchmark. Not too optimistic on the results. Does anyone know when I should expect to hear back?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I did the test around 11pm last night and received my report immediately but haven't yet heard back as to if I've passed the benchmark. Not too optimistic on the results. Does anyone know when I should expect to hear back?
    It took me about 12 hours to hear back after getting my report. I think that maybe it's not automatically generated and so might only be sent out during work hours - that's just a guess though.

Wajahat Jilani

Star Member
    Jun 15, 2020

Did you get a response? I submitted today and am wondering if I am unlikely to get the pass/fail email today, as it is not a working day.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.