TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Very strange day. Had an AC for HL for a direct TC. They called me saying I was below standard on 2 of my assessments but they really liked my partner interview, so are offering me a VS instead. Don’t know what to make of it…
Take this as a positive - clearly they really liked you but you didn't quite tick the box in the other assessments and so they are giving you another chance to prove your capabilities on the vac scheme :) If you can get some feedback then that would be really helpful and I am sure you are going to ace the vac scheme!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Very strange day. Had an AC for HL for a direct TC. They called me saying I was below standard on 2 of my assessments but they really liked my partner interview, so are offering me a VS instead. Don’t know what to make of it…
They don't do things like this if they didn't feel like you couldn't potentially perform to a stronger standard.

The vacation scheme offer is just your opportunity to demonstrate that stronger performance.

They can't offer you if you don't meet the necessary standards (especially across two assessments) but they could offer you if they see a strong performance during the vacation scheme instead.

Take this as a massive positive, just an unexpected one. They basically hope you will perform well on a different day/with slightly different assessment processes.

chi.c

Feb 11, 2021
Freshfields offer too! I had truly given up with applications this cycle 😭 (2nd year applying)

I got a call this week (Tuesday) with an offer. I had already lost hope but they still are calling people. They were very apologetic about the delay. You really never know :)

My candidate portal was actually updated on 31 March but I guess they were quite busy and only managed to call this week. Good luck everyone!
Hey, huge congrats btw!! May I know when you did you AC? I did mine on 18 March but I haven't heard back yet.

Reactions: Zacher

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
For BCLP's direct TC, does anyone know the benefit of applying for their sector focused training contract over their normal training contract? Don't know which one to apply for - if I don't apply to a sector specific, would normal trainees still be able to complete seats in those areas?

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
For BCLP's direct TC, does anyone know the benefit of applying for their sector focused training contract over their normal training contract? Don't know which one to apply for - if I don't apply to a sector specific, would normal trainees still be able to complete seats in those areas?
I'm personally applying for the Manchester office, which you can't do Spector specific, but if I was applying for London, if would think about the following:
  1. Do I have a genuine interest in the sector?
  2. Do I have evidence/experience backing this experience up? (ie if Real Estate, have you been a paralegal in Real Estate)
  3. Is there a strong, firm chance that I will want to qualify in this area?
I think for BCLP especially, they see the trainees as the future of the firm, and so will want real specific interest in the sector to apply. If I was in your position, I would personally 1. Email Grad Recruitment with your question (esp. about opportunities to do seats in other sectors), but mostly likely I would 2. Apply for the Real Estate sector specific. Its a tough one though, as it can put your eggs in one basket, but in my experience, me showing my firm love and background in RE has not hindered me in any application (even in a firm where they aren't strongly RE) but helped me go into the depth of the firm that they are looking for.

Hope this helps and let me know what you decide!!!

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
I'm personally applying for the Manchester office, which you can't do Spector specific, but if I was applying for London, if would think about the following:
  1. Do I have a genuine interest in the sector?
  2. Do I have evidence/experience backing this experience up? (ie if Real Estate, have you been a paralegal in Real Estate)
  3. Is there a strong, firm chance that I will want to qualify in this area?
I think for BCLP especially, they see the trainees as the future of the firm, and so will want real specific interest in the sector to apply. If I was in your position, I would personally 1. Email Grad Recruitment with your question (esp. about opportunities to do seats in other sectors), but mostly likely I would 2. Apply for the Real Estate sector specific. Its a tough one though, as it can put your eggs in one basket, but in my experience, me showing my firm love and background in RE has not hindered me in any application (even in a firm where they aren't strongly RE) but helped me go into the depth of the firm that they are looking for.

Hope this helps and let me know what you decide!!!
Thank you for this!! I'm going to apply for their normal TC, as I can't say at this stage that I want to only be in real estate or finance! Would like to explore these practice areas, and others, during a TC ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.